Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
again: where from comes that 3Mb/s figure? IIRC standard I2C has 400k, not 3M
/j
fwiw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I2c

Recent revisions of I²C can host more nodes and run at faster speeds (400 kbit/s Fast mode, 1 Mbit/s Fast mode plus or Fm+, and 3.4 Mbit/s High Speed mode).
You have to believe wikipedia. I guess 3.4Mb/s for uFM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
So what is possible? Anything fun at all?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
So what is possible? Anything fun at all?
Of course. Many sensors use I²C already, so it would be extremely easy to hook them up. So a sensor-loaded OH seems trivial. Barometer, colorimeter, temperature, humidity, hal-sensor, gyroscopes, magnetometers, sound decibel, lux, ultrasound distance meter, radar (Nokia was already toying with that concept), PIR sensor, 433MHz tranceivers for home domotica... You name it.

Also, put a CAN-transceiver in there and you can use the Jolla as extra console for your car, getting more, and more accurate readings from the car's sensors. Perhaps even tweak settings.

If the main display is OLED or something very akin, I can't see much need for an eInk display. I actually prefer to read books on the N9 at night than on my eInk e-reader...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
fwiw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I2c

You have to believe wikipedia. I guess 3.4Mb/s for uFM.
I know about fast and ultrafst i2c modes. But I also know about design rules for such ultrafast busses that regularly forbid stuff like B2B connectors and the like, that would distrub the wave-impedance of the bus and thus cause ringing/reflexions that introduces errors

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
wasn't there also talks about connecting to raspberry pi or arduino directly?

The Following User Says Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
If the main display is OLED or something very akin, I can't see much need for an eInk display.
Well, a dynamic back cover might have quite a nice WOW factor.
New (black and white ;-) ) look for every day, etc.

I actually prefer to read books on the N9 at night than on my eInk e-reader...
Still, when reading on the sun or if enough light is available, E-Ink still beats anything else for reading. So it might nice to be able to "turn around" between LCD/AM/OLED and an E-Ink screen.

Now when I think about it, most devices are not really designed to be used display-down. And most modern displays don't really have any protective "ridge" around the display, so they are resting directly on the display when put display-down. That could lead to quite some scratches.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
If the main display is OLED or something very akin, I can't see much need for an eInk display. I actually prefer to read books on the N9 at night than on my eInk e-reader...
Hmm, I cant say the same at all, what eReader do you have?

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Of course. Many sensors use I²C already, so it would be extremely easy to hook them up. So a sensor-loaded OH seems trivial. Barometer, colorimeter, temperature, humidity, hal-sensor, gyroscopes, magnetometers, sound decibel, lux, ultrasound distance meter, radar (Nokia was already toying with that concept), PIR sensor, 433MHz tranceivers for home domotica... You name it.

Also, put a CAN-transceiver in there and you can use the Jolla as extra console for your car, getting more, and more accurate readings from the car's sensors. Perhaps even tweak settings
I don't know if they have plans for any vertical markets but sensor-based OH could lead to it being used by technicians in certain fields and partnerships and co-branding could be used. I can see that as a potentially untapped resource for the future.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Hmm, I cant say the same at all, what eReader do you have?
Sony PRS-600. The resistive touchscreen does add a reflective layer, so yeah, current models are way better. But it's more than that. Before sleeping it's best to avoid (bright) light. Melatonin and such. The white-on-black text on N9 is perfect for that. Also, I can read comfortable laying on sides or belly, and don't need glasses as it is easier to keep the device close to one's eyes.

For the Jolla OH, an alternative for eInk would be Mirasol, made by... qualcomm. However, the I²C interface might be too slow for this.

Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
I don't know if they have plans for any vertical markets but sensor-based OH could lead to it being used by technicians in certain fields and partnerships and co-branding could be used. I can see that as a potentially untapped resource for the future.
Good point. I work in the mobile software development business. We now focus on BYOD and Android. But for some types of work a standard mobile phone won't suffice. Laser barcode scanners are way better in many ways than using the camera to scan 2D barcodes. For some tasks very accurate GPS (with things like WAAS) is needed. Currently this would require specialized and expensive devices, or stand alone. A OH-concept would make it easier to design and cheaper to produce.

Also, the new iPhone 5S has an M7 "motion" coprocessor or whatever it is called. Turns out this is a very low-power Cortex A3 CPU capable of continuously processing movements. The OH could provide the same functionality to the Jolla. I don't know if it is possible to communicate with the internal sensors from the OH (two bus masters on I²C?) so you wouldn't need an extra sensor in the OH. But the option of such coprocessor in the OH seems very well possible to me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
I work in the mobile software development business. We now focus on BYOD and Android. But for some types of work a standard mobile phone won't suffice.
You might be interested in Neo900
http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta0...ustomVariants/
https://shop.goldelico.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04%20Custom
https://shop.goldelico.com/wiki.php?page=Letux%203704
https://shop.goldelico.com/wiki.php?page=Letux%207004
cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-20 at 20:20.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
half-assed?, irfmtransceiver, jolla, the other half, voting for nemo