Notices

I'm sorry but is the fact this application is made of Beirut, Lebanon bothering. Would you feel better if it was made in Paris?

Originally Posted by noetus View Post
I've looked on a couple of Android sites where this app is also available and you see pretty much unequivocal praise for how well this app works.. which proves two things:

(1) Android users tend to be sheep and download apps without reading ToS or thinking about the implications; on BOTH Ovi Store and My-Meego other users have warned about the ToS of this program and this is how I first learned of it

(2) If it really is working like people say (and praise it for) then it means they've already harvested a massive amount of data, because the chances of random people calling me and their details being already known to this company are quite small (vanishingly so) unless their database is really quite large already. I would think this database would be extremely valuable to nefarious business types that could have all sorts of unsavoury uses for it.

Further, it appears not only do they access all my friends and business contacts in my phone, but their ToS allows them to get any and all data they find there - so not only phone numbers (which is all they need for their app to work as advertised) but also street addresses, IM details, and so on - it's all right their in their ToS.

Even though it is in their Tos I would think that such a violation of privacy would require some sort of warning before you download their application, and so even if it is legal, the mere fact that it is in their ToS might not be a defence in a court of law. Their practice, arguably, amounts to a sort of deception because it is so unexpected.

I wrote to the company concerned (there is an email address on their website) and this is the reply I received (note the hastily composed English - is this company run by a teenager?):

I don't think they are "warning ppl" as it is put here. An obscure paragraph at the end of a ToS most people will not bother to read, and which they know most people will not bother to read, is hardly a "warning".

Interestingly, the site is registered in Lebanon and appears to be operating out of Beirut. What should we make of that?

The Following User Says Thank You to habdelnour For This Useful Post:
I'm sorry but is the fact that this application is made in Beirut, Lebanon bothering you?. Would you feel better if it was made in Paris?
[/QUOTE]

Lol@android, mooted as the OS of the future.

It is riddled with insecure crap and incubating more virii than a Thai hookers clunge.

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 146 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ lebanon
Originally Posted by habdelnour View Post
I'm sorry but is the fact that this application is made in Beirut, Lebanon bothering you?. Would you feel better if it was made in Paris?
[/QUOTE]

would it surprise you also to know that we(in Lebanon) have a simillar software that if i had your car's plate number it would provide me with your contact info and data.

"ghashaytne bi esmak hala2 ta ntabahet"

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
would it surprise you also to know that we(in Lebanon) have a simillar software that if i had your car's plate number it would provide me with your contact info and data.

"ghashaytne bi esmak hala2 ta ntabahet"[/QUOTE]

No, this is why I live in the US, a bit more privacy from the general public, though it's all ******** now because with a telephone number my entire public records of arrests, purchases and assests is available. This bothers me in ways I can't explain.

I prefer not to use Whozcalling and as I use Harmattan as my OS of choice, my opinion about being followed/tracked is clear based off of that.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Originally Posted by Arie View Post

"ghashaytne bi esmak hala2 ta ntabahet"
No, this is why I live in the US, a bit more privacy from the general public, though it's all ******** now because with a telephone number my entire public records of arrests, purchases and assests is available. This bothers me in ways I can't explain.

I prefer not to use Whozcalling and as I use Harmattan as my OS of choice, my opinion about being followed/tracked is clear based off of that.[/QUOTE]

The fact that of you not using the app will do no good.
Anyone that has you in their contacts and uses the app will automatilcly sync the dtails with the server and thus you are shared with god only knows how many has this installed on their phones and synced...
Symilar appstruecaller-numberbook)

Originally Posted by ADRENALINE View Post

I prefer not to use Whozcalling and as I use Harmattan as my OS of choice, my opinion about being followed/tracked is clear based off of that.
Anyone that has you in their contacts and uses the app will automatilcly sync the dtails with the server and thus you are shared with god only knows how many has this installed on their phones and synced...
Symilar appstruecaller-numberbook)[/QUOTE]

Well then, ****.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Symilar appstruecaller-numberbook)
Well then, ****.[/QUOTE]

Then there is "ppl like us" who can always advice the ignorant majority about how these ******* apps are violating and abusing their privacy.

Originally Posted by ADRENALINE View Post
Well then, ****.
Then there is "ppl like us" who can always advice the ignorant majority about how these ******* apps are violating and abusing their privacy.[/QUOTE]

It gets back to the idea of sheep, why do people use android/ios? Because they are sheep. The N9 has so many more capabilities than either platform, yet people keep using those platforms, because of functions that are superfluous like facetime.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Then there is "ppl like us" who can always advice the ignorant majority about how these ******* apps are violating and abusing their privacy.
It gets back to the idea of sheep, why do people use android/ios? Because they are sheep. The N9 has so many more capabilities than either platform, yet people keep using those platforms, because of functions that are superfluous like facetime.[/QUOTE]

Whozcalling developer also uses his collected databse to market more his app he sends whatsapp massages to invite ppl to download the app...