Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
alright, so if i install this, i will be able to access sites with java? Like those annoying e-banking login?

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ NY Metro Area, US
At the last Java SIG in New York, two guys from Sun talked about JavaFX and JavaFXMobile. The latter is their next OS for mobile devices. What's interesting is that they mentioned they ported it to "Nokia device with Linux on it", which is of course N800 in "couple of days!?". I don't believe there are any downloads yet, but it's very promising development.

JavaFXMobile is very advanced, modern OS built in Java working on top of Linux kernel. What I got from them is that they are trying to make all the CLDC/MIDP crap eventually obsolete and run something more similar to J2SE on mobile devices.

So, don't despair, Java is coming one way or the other.

I have a question regarding the Phoneme port to the N800. Is is a fullblown implementation of J2ME?

I'm planning to develop Java ME GUI Apps and consider running them on a N800 as well. I wonder if it is possible, but I haven't found a clear statement so far. I'm a little discouraged though as it says :

" OK, Now What Can I do with This?
For starters, you can check out running OSGi on the N800."
http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Mobile...tformsNokia800

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on May 2007 @ BKNYC

manage to find a image of javafx mobile running on the N800.

Originally Posted by mfresh View Post
Forgive my ignorance in this: but does any of this mean that it might be possible to use GoToMyPC - which uses a Java client to log in to a remote PC - on the N800?

I already run a VNC server on my home PC and access it using the N800 VNC client, but GoToMyPC would be preferable for a number of reasons to do with privacy and security....
In the meantime, you could always run vnc over an ssh tunnel - it's as private and secure as you could want, with the added advantage that your firewall only has to leave ssh ports open.