Posts: 276 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Frankfurt, Germany
i installed gcclib1 from debian repository with dpkg and after this apt-get told me that it has to remove mp-fremantle-generic-pr, because it depends on a fix revision of gcclib1. 0kb were removed and the device is able to boot.

is this a bug, or did i bricked my device somehow? why is mp-fremantle-generic-pr depending on a fix version of gcclib1?

i will try now to use more packages from debian und upgrade / dist-upgrade and tell you the results...

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
I have nothing with that name. Atleast that I can find and it still seems to work well.

Originally Posted by mankir View Post
is this a bug, or did i bricked my device somehow? why is mp-fremantle-generic-pr depending on a fix version of gcclib1?
It's not a bug. mp-fremantle-generic-pr is used by Nokia to deliver firmware upgrades.

Originally Posted by mankir View Post
i will try now to use more packages from debian und upgrade / dist-upgrade and tell you the results...
Good luck with that. Just remember that Maemo is not Debian, so anything can break.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
For compiling (re-compiling) software better to use Scratchbox....

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
If somebody removes the mp-fremantle-generic-pr package, is there a way to get it back? I removed it during my fights with pymaemo, but according to what you said, i won't be notified for firmware upgrades if this package is not present (not that there were too many so far...)
Unfortunately the package cannot be installed via apt-get, and Nokia disabled directory indexing on the official repo

Updating from debian didn't work, BUT i found a solution for my biggest problem here: Repartition the internal drive

Now i have several programms installed:
pcmanfm (better file manager)
mousepad (xfce-texteditor)
netbeans (actually not working, but javac/java IS)
gimp
dia

(to be continued)

Last edited by mankir; 2009-12-16 at 13:15.

Were you able to fix this issue? I recently removed it, too...

-----------
edit: ok, simply installed it with apt-get, updated fine to new maemo pr

Last edited by zweiblum; 2010-02-20 at 00:18.

At the moment i think the best solution is:
Using Mer0.17testing11 on a 5gb-partition on the eMMC and start programs with the debbie-command from the easydeb-chroot package. It's nearly as fast as natively installed applications, most programs are fully useable: Kile, Netbeans, Inkscape, Dia, Gimp, ...