Posts: 127 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Wales
Gone my phone working again but I'm just using a external battery charger. Is there anyway around resetting the time and date everytime I need to change my batteries bar of course soldering the USB down?

Nokia N900 - Kernel V47 OC'd at 1.15mhz, CSSU, BleedingEdge, 64gb, H-E-N.

Need a ROM for an emulator on the N900? Then send me a message and Thank me in return.

If I help you somehow in a post then please press thanks next to it!

Message me @ Dale_Foster_1099@Hotmail.com
Xbox @ Pyro1099
Last.fm @ Pyro1099
Twitter @ Pyro1099

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Pyro1099 View Post
Gone my phone working again but I'm just using a external battery charger. Is there anyway around resetting the time and date everytime I need to change my batteries bar of course soldering the USB down?
You could always use an external charger through a separate plug, like dr_frost_dk does. That would allow you to leave the batteries in place & running while charging, just not using the USB. (It may also make the phone look a little odd, with a home-made port, but hey, it will work. )

I'm hoping that Samsung/Nokia join up and finally get their micro-inductive batteries going. Samsung is looking at releasing the next series of phones with batteries that have built-in inductive charging circuits. If they make backward compatible batteries, one could use those in older devices. May cost more (to buy and to charge), but would fix issues like this elegantly...

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Wales
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
You could always use an external charger through a separate plug, like dr_frost_dk does. That would allow you to leave the batteries in place & running while charging, just not using the USB. (It may also make the phone look a little odd, with a home-made port, but hey, it will work. )

I'm hoping that Samsung/Nokia join up and finally get their micro-inductive batteries going. Samsung is looking at releasing the next series of phones with batteries that have built-in inductive charging circuits. If they make backward compatible batteries, one could use those in older devices. May cost more (to buy and to charge), but would fix issues like this elegantly...
I don't really want extruding wires. What about a process do update date and time at start up through WiFi? Wireless charging would be nice! Technology for that has been around for awhile now.

Nokia N900 - Kernel V47 OC'd at 1.15mhz, CSSU, BleedingEdge, 64gb, H-E-N.

Need a ROM for an emulator on the N900? Then send me a message and Thank me in return.

If I help you somehow in a post then please press thanks next to it!

Message me @ Dale_Foster_1099@Hotmail.com
Xbox @ Pyro1099
Last.fm @ Pyro1099
Twitter @ Pyro1099

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I bought a second N900 as a backup. It was manufactured late 2010. Immediately I noticed the USB port on the newer N900 was very tight!

On my original N900 (from 2009) the port was never tight, the USB plugs move out with barely any force at all. On the newer one, I have to really pull hard to get it out. So now maybe I have some idea why the USB ports become loose.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
Hi, I've just "almost" successfully repaired my N900 broken microUSB, It was a real mess, I had only basic soldiering skills and had to learn a lot with this experience, I both soldiered the shield to the base and fixed it with epoxy and even used a Cyanoacrylate glue to fix it even more, when I knew it was "good"... It took about 2 weeks for me trying to soldier some micro wires I got from a cheap earphone, and also broke a soldiering iron bought specially for this by twisting the cable a lot so had to use an old less powerful one... the point is, accidentally I hit and detached a component, and I guess it's the one circled in this diagram... Now, anybody knows if such component is "essential" in someway to some function?
I have verified it actually charges without problems, but I don't want to blow my computer's USB if it is somehow needed for data access...

http://flic.kr/p/bnYEsb

Besides, I want to thank everybody in this thread who shared their knowledge and/or experience to help less skilled/experienced/ingenious people like me... :P
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

The Following User Says Thank You to strange1712 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by strange1712 View Post
even used a Cyanoacrylate glue to fix it even more, when I knew it was "good"...
This wasn't necessary, and only creates "mess" layer, that can make it harder to solder in case of any future need. I'm 100% convinced, that this kind of glue doesn't add even smallest factor of protection to our USB port.

As for Your broken element, frankly, I have no idea

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by strange1712 View Post
I both soldiered the shield to the base and fixed it with epoxy and even used a Cyanoacrylate glue to fix it even more, when I knew it was "good"...
Glues will add very little mechanical strength. I was fortunate that the lead free solder used on mine tore cleanly form the pads and I was able to solder it down with good 50/50 lead/tin solder which is fine for occasional hobby soldering in a well ventilated area. i scraped some ground plane on both sides and trimmed away some of the RF enclosure lid near to the USB port. I made a solder bridge to the RF enclosure and further trimmed the lid so it fit flush, and gave about 1mm thick of solder for about 4mm of ground plane to the other side. So far so good but I am very careful that it sits safely when charging now and file down the locking nubs on microUSB cables.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
Well, actually the glue was for other reason, I've got some cables touching each other so I added some paper between them, and so it wouldn't move I used the glue. Only then, with the already well fixed USB I added a couple of glue drops...
I guess my N900 won't survive a second repair... so... I will treat it very carefully now...
AND, USB data works!!! I've just downloaded a couple photos to my PC and it hasn't blown up!
I'm happy about that!
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Im just bumping this thread again, to remind you N900 users to get your USB Fixed before it is to late, in the last week 2x more users have broken their USB

How long would you wait?

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
Im just bumping this thread again, to remind you N900 users to get your USB Fixed before it is to late, in the last week 2x more users have broken their USB

How long would you wait?
Yes you are right. Thanks for reminding us.
However I have no skills at all for that kind of operation.

Is there someone around Frankfurt-am-Main willing to help me on this one ?
I can provide the beer (after the surgical operation) ;-)

Thanks,

The Following User Says Thank You to SaintGermain For This Useful Post: