Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Hi,

http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/initfs_flasher.tgz is now updated for OS2008. Seems to work with N800. Not sure about N810 but hopefully it is same.

Booting old 2007 system somehow works. So far I noticed wi-fi doesn't see any APs so you cannot connect (pretty major issue :-) and arrow keys do not work (other keys do). Otherwise it works, tried bluetooth, touchscreen, sound, video. USB may need some tweaking too due to enabled host mode, haven't tried yet.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Guess you got it done before it was released, this is one thing to make upgrading easier.

Thanks again Fanoush!!!!

Just excellent!

I'm going to wait for the "official" release before I re-clone my SD card, but it's sure great to know all the pieces are falling into place!

Czech mate, man!
This would be my showstopper. Now we are resuming countdown for the OS2008 liftoff. Very soon I hope. T-???

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Austria
Thanks fanoush!

worked exactly as described. i'd love to have a dual boot tablet. do you have any idea on how to solve the wlan issue?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
sorry, i don't understand a thing. Will I be able to just boot up my already cloned OS2007 and use it at all? Are the problems related to cloning the 2008OS so tha if I het 2008 internal and 2007 SD-cloned I will be able to run always a normal system?

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Austria
I have a cloned os2007 on sd card. i can now boot it, but wlan isnt working. os2008 is running fine, haven't tried cloning it yet (i think there's another thread going about that).

Could OS2008 have updated the WLAN firmware?

Originally Posted by pearl62 View Post
Could OS2008 have updated the WLAN firmware?
Not sure why you are asking but yes, it is very likely. They update it even with minor OS updates. However it is not permanent, firmware is loaded at runtime to WLAN chip when you connect to network so you can safely reflash older firmwares.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Originally Posted by hns View Post
do you have any idea on how to solve the wlan issue?
Yes, several. None is easy except forgetting OS2008.

1. one can have two sets of kernel and initfs images and flash correct one from device before rebooting to another OS200x system, initfs images should be customized to allow booting from correct places.

Kernel can be extracted from firmware image or you already have customized one from other sources, correct initfs.bootmenu.jffs2 should be in initfs_flasher directory in both systems, you just copy them to another OS200x system. True that this is cumbersome and wears off initfs and kernel flash partitions but otherwise quite workable.

2. one can investigate the issue and try to backport WLAN userspace code from newer system (if available) to older one

3. solution 1 can be improved by using kexec mechanism (i.e. boot one kernel from another) and merging both initfs images and select correct part at boot time. This is the hardest one.

Looks like this time we are not lucky and newer kernel and wlan driver breaks something in older system.

Last edited by fanoush; 2007-11-15 at 11:27.