Active Topics

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
I have upated bootmenu flashing script so it knows about newer firmware.
It also contains newer bootmenu code from SVN with menu timeout and ability to understand root device name like "ask:mmc2" to show menu everytimes but preselect mmc2 (and boot it after timeout).

You can still answer no on last question (flashing) and copy created initfs.bootmenu.jffs2 (and backup of original initfs) to PC and flash with usb flasher for extra safety. You need rsync installed on n770.

http://fanoush.webpark.cz/maemo/#initfs

Fanoush is obviously staying up late these nights (and days) modifying his noteworthy "hacks" for compatibility with the new updated operating system, for which I hope and trust we are duly appreciative. I have flashed that updated operating system and through also installing his modified dual-book initfs, am able to access the earlier operating system I'd installed earlier this week on my ext2 partition of my Kingston 2GB mobile MMC card. Can I now safely proceed to install this new operating system on my ext2 partition through fanoush's hack, as I did previously, which would in effect, I trust, replace the earlier installed operating system? Sorry for the convoluted language, but I trust my query is basically understood.

So you already flashed new OS an updated bootmenu? Yes, it is possible to copy new system to MMC if you want. I am currently keeping both new system in internal flash memory and older one on MMC to see which one crashes less :-)

I am keeping old OS on my 1GB card, so really have nothing to lose by trying to put new system on my 2GB card. However, I have spent a great deal of time over the last two days trying to reinstall your kbdd hack to be able to utilize my Freedom Bluetooth keyboard, but without success. That hack previously proved to me quite quirky to install, with much trial and error before eventual success, with no ultimate "correct" method emerging from the process which I could readily duplicate. Of course, I have followed similar attempts and methods this time, with really no individual step proving consistently successful. And I really need to be able to use that portable keyboard. Obviously, this is frustrating for me, and I'm backing off for now, hoping that maybe you can see if your kbdd hack needs some adjustment for the new operating system. However, I do recognize that at this particular time you have far more important adjustments to make in your hacks before tackling something like the kbdd, whhich must have a quite limited number of 770 owners interested.

kbdd needs newer uinput.ko kernel module. Redownload newer version, it was updated today morning (it is evening here now). Rename old kbdd directory to kbdd.old, extract newer version to same place and copy btkbd.conf from kbdd.old to new kbdd directory

Great! That's probably it, as all my recent repeated kbdd run error messages cited problems with the uinput.ko file. I'll try it out and let you know. Again, many thanks.

Fanoush: Have had partial success in getting the Freedom Bluetooth portable keyboard to work with the new operating system and your modification to the hack. At first, it didn't work at all through my strict following of your instructions. However, in trying to discover why not, I noted that in your new kbdd directory (achieved through un-tarring) there were TWO uinput.ko files (uinput 2.6.16-omap1 and uinput.ko.2.6.16.27-omap1). I removed the first and tried again. Then I executed ./btkbd which succeeded in activating and deactivating my keyboard. (I had earlier also converted to the U.S. keyboard design (qwerty), which worked, too.) However, I could not then get the shortcut to work after installing it. (This was one of my earlier problems months ago before resolving it -- I don't recall how, hit-and-miss I guess!) Anyway, the shortcut is not working again. (Could it have anything to do with your script not employing a gainroot method matching mine; I use "sudo su" via the "becomeroot" application?) Also, when I hit the "enter" button on the keyboard, instead of executing a normal "enter" command, it instead serves as a toggle going back and forth with the on-screen keyboard (where the "enter" command does work!). You perhaps have noticed elsewhere in this forum that osso-xterm seems to be having problems with the new OS. The "backspace-delete" key moves the curser forward, creating little squares in its place. I wonder if this osso-xterm function has anything to do with my Freedom keyboard's malfunctioning "enter" key. Oh, well, any further thoughts -- and fixes -- you might have will as usual be much appreciated. (In a way, I would welcome a means of toggling with the onscreen keyboard, as that would enable me to access keystrokes not currently available to me on the Freedom keyboard, i.e. "|" and "~", but not through use of the "enter" key!)

Last edited by ascherjim; 2006-11-04 at 21:37. Reason: Add sentence.

Latest Update: On advice from elsewhere within the forum, I was able to solve the osso xterm problem (through installing a new update to xterm) but the "enter" key toggling problem remains. Using xterm I was able to activate and deactivate the keyboard via the ./btkbd command, but I couldn't deactivate it using the Freedom keyboard; I had to use the screen keyboard (which the "enter" key toggled me to!) to do so. Also, the shortcut still doesn't work.

FURTHER UPDATE: On activating the Freedom keyboard today through use of the ./btkbd command, the enter key no longer toggles to the onscreen keyboard, and functions normally. However, when I deactivate the keyboard, again through use of the ./btkbd command, and the onscreen keyboard returns -- the onscreen keyboard doesn't work, i.e, no keystrokes are registered on the screen! I have to exit and return to xterm to return its functionality. So, it would seem that there is still some sort of toggling linkage occurring between the enter key and onscreen keyboard. But in any case, I'm about back to having restored the functionality I had achieved with the former operating system on my 1GB MMC card. except for the fact that the shortcut still doesn't work, when it worked with the former OS.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Are you sure you need to restart Xterm? When changing input methods, the application in the foreground needs a poke - usually opening the extras menu and closing it again is sufficient.