my old nokia e71 got drenched in rain multiple times (and i realy mean drenched, i'd be walking home from work or other places and it would start raining a lot), but never had an issue, it was on the whole time and i didnt even turn it off

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Finland
Oh, let me add that N810 is also fat free milk proof.

Lets start with a few facts. I always (and I mean always) carry my trusty backbag with me. I'm always carrying number of items I may (or usually may not) need in my bag. These items include (but are not limited to) my wallet, N810, pocket camera, BT GPS receiver, decent torch, backup torch, one spare battery (or batteries) for each, pliers, some screw drivers, adjustable spanner, some electric wire and s small towel. Some items are located in the ouside pocket, some in the inside pocket. Items I use the most are simply thrown to be bottom of the main compartment, namely my N810, my camera and my wallet. When I go shopping, I carefully arrange items to maximise usable volume. Depending on which jacket or coat I'm wearing, N810 and my wallet may also be in my pockets. When I'm riding my bicycle, I usually keep my belongings in my bag.

I was returning from a grocery store with a carton of milk, bread (but not cookies), two kilos of pasta, cheese etc, including my N810. As usually, my bag was completely full but never too full. I was carrying my bag by its zipper pull tabs (as I've done for a decade) while closing the bag. For the first time ever, I managed to drop my bag. Not giving it second though I grabbed my bag and continued walking. When I finished closing my bag I threw one side over my shoulder and realised the bottom of my bag felt wet.

I soon realised the milk carton had split. Having reached the safety of bicycle park behind our office I started unpacking my bag on ground. Things at the bottom of my bag were dripping milk, including my N810 and my camera. After getting rid of excess milk I packed dry goodies to a plastic bag (which I'm also carrying in my bag) and used the towel to wipe the rest dry. I headed back to our office for closes examination and damage control. After dumping two kilos of pasta to biotrash bin and taking care of everything except my N810 and camera I headed home.

Like before, I disaddembled my N810, gave the engine module a bath in (no longer) sterilised water and wiped the other parts clean. After that I half-disassembled my camera only to realise I was never going to save it. It had far too much milk and far too many tiny gaps I could never reach.

Fast forward two days. I have just finished assembling my N810 and it seems to be fine. There's nothing wrong with the display, network is fine, sound is fine and the keyboard is fine. All it had was an empty battery. Future will show if there's anything else.

All right then, carry on. Thanks for listening. :-)

Last edited by wnd; 2011-11-03 at 11:49. Reason: typos

The Following User Says Thank You to wnd For This Useful Post: