Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
To make life easy, "thank" this post IFF you buy this the moment I put it up.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
You call it "early bird developper rev. 2", which contrasts with the initial plan discussed through 29 pages, so it's not clear to me if that would be a new intermediate step that was not planned so far, or the true final product but with downgraded ambitions? Could you please clarify that?

The reason for that question is I already have rev. 1, I definitely want a more functional keyboard, but I'm not sure I want to invest 220€ total for two prototypes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
a new intermediate step that was not planned so far.

but i am having second thoughts about this. the only reason for this is the difficulties finding a keypad manufacturer and a lack of funds to be able to buy all parts upfront.

The Following User Says Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
What does buying this prototype entitle me to? A discount for the final product? Replacement parts to turn the proto into the final product? A punch in the stomach?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
To make life easy, "thank" this post IFF you buy this the moment I put it up.
I think the kickstarter/indiegogo idea might work. With the tier system you could easily go with: for X amount the materials will be x, if we reach Y it will be thè more costly y... The interest might turn out to be higher than expected if properly advertised on tjc (and twitter etc) and if it's not at least it will be clear at that point how much interest there is allowing you to get better estimates how much can be spent on tooling

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
I think the kickstarter/indiegogo idea might work. With the tier system you could easily go with: for X amount the materials will be x, if we reach Y it will be thè more costly y... The interest might turn out to be higher than expected if properly advertised on tjc (and twitter etc) and if it's not at least it will be clear at that point how much interest there is allowing you to get better estimates how much can be spent on tooling
Agree. Think bigger. In that case you could produce something out of an injection mold die. Read: a smooth keyboard with backlight?

The Following User Says Thank You to robnas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
a new intermediate step that was not planned so far.

but i am having second thoughts about this. the only reason for this is the difficulties finding a keypad manufacturer and a lack of funds to be able to buy all parts upfront.
The last point is kinda moot because you haven't accepted my financial offer The 'lack of funds' could be partly solved if we can work out a funding deal.

Last edited by vistaus; 2014-10-02 at 19:53.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
The last point is kinda moot because you haven't accepted my financial offer The 'lack of funds' could be partly solved if we can work out a funding deal.
That's why you should start a kickstarter-project. Chance you will probably gain attention. The ones that are funding (most), will receive their board first or with special option (color?).
You can set the bar to a certain amount of money, so you can buy a injection mould (spuitgietmatrijs for dutch).
After that you can start producing for a lot less. You can think about making the injection mould for both plastic parts at the same time

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robnas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
As long as you can give me precise fast typing and full screen Fingerterm (i.e. without on-screen keyboard), I am pledging to buy your TOHKBD v2 at 150€ with blank keys right now!

If I can assign a key-combination to quickly show and hide the current keyboard-layout on-screen, the blank keyboard will be quick enough to learn :-)

Besides, if you give me enough keys to cover all of the N900-keyboard, and easy means of setting the key mappings, I can just copy the N900 layout and don't have to learn the keyboard at all!

Last edited by stefanmohl; 2014-10-05 at 19:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stefanmohl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Oh, by the way, would it be possible to add a flip-out stand, like the one on the N900 too? That one used a magnet to keep it closed when not in use, and you have magnets here too...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stefanmohl For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd