I'm interested in installing claws mail and some other office apps.
But I'm running low of memory.
I was looking in RD mode that some ''pre installed'' stuff coulld be removed.
I look around in the forum, some guuy wrote to get root and remove it.
Still, following the steps it won't remove theses apps, which are the installers for skype,rhapsody,gizmo and some other.
Also I found suitable for removal ''pre-installed images,sounds,videos, and documentation, 12mb+4.5mb+4.6mb+14mb = 31.5 mb!!!!
But just I wonder if they are really needed?
Anyone has done that before ?

Thanks

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Most people usually removed the included images, music, videos and documentation. If you think you are going to need it, move it to the internal or external sd card.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
removing those apps is a 'temporary' fix, it works for you to put a couple more progs for the time being. However, with time goes on, your appetite will 'increase' :-) and that these small manuever would deem inadequate. If it satisfies your need, then it is ok. If not, you would be better off to go for the ultimate solution, SD boot, that would give you as much space as your SD card for prog installation space, be it 1 or 2 G or even more.

How to do SD boot? a wide spectrum to suit your needs,

1) totally automated - PB's install-tools, http://tablethacker.com/wp/?p=175lang=es=1
2) fully explained - GeraldKo 2nd most easy clone, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...586#post165586
3) just cut to the meat - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...d+clone&page=8, thread #292
4) and the one size fit all wiki

enjoy,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-06-06 at 02:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
thanks , I uninstall that and funny,memory didnt change,not sure why.
I might try booting from sd.
Thanks

i dunno if clonig the OS for a class 4 SD card would be a good choice... i'm thinking on doing this but... well... i have doubts 'bout speed... would id have a huge impact on performance?

The best solution I've heard so far is to just copy the programs folder over to the internal mmc card, delete the files off the main drive, then symlink the folder over to the new location. When you're done, everything should work. I've never tried it on the NIT yet, but it works on a regular PC, so I can't see why it wouldn't work on a NIT too since it's Linux based.

i'm stil puzzled with it... do anyone knows the speed of nhe n800 internal card? would have a performance decrease if i clone the OS to a class 4 card? is a 2gb card enought or a 4gb card is necessary to have a good performance?

(as u can see, i want to see how powerful the n800 can be)

The N800 doesn't have an internal card, it has internal NAND flash. The NAND flash uses a special filesystem (jffs2) which handles wear-levelling and is also a compressed filesystem. Due to this it is actually a bit slower than a fast, external SD card. If you use a good fast card and clone to it it could be faster than the un-cloned system.

Tags
built-in memory, memory, pre-installed