Originally Posted by bergie View Post
isn't this pretty close to what Nokia has been saying about the relation between Fremantle, Harmattan and MeeGo? If applications are written in Qt they should be easy to provide to all the different platforms, meaning that even though OS may stagnate, new stuff will still keep coming for our N900s
Not exactly, and there are a couple of things. They're committing to forward and back compatibility of core components and some applications across a given set of OS versions, an extremely time consuming and laborious process, but good for consumers

Nokia / Intel have to worry about app / core platform version, QT version and OS version. All 3 need to line up if you want something to work.

If the N900 wants a fancy new app we presumably also need the correct version of QT loaded. Assuming that isn't an issue the QT app may not be optimized for the N900 from a UI perspective.

As for the Core apps, as far as I'm aware, none are QT'ified and I think in the end that's one of the main things that customers are looking for no?

And not to put too fine a point. While Google is iterating quickly from version 1.5, 1.6 to 2.1 Nokia is juggling Maemo, Meego and Symbian. Very different approaches. Not alike at all.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
I was very keen to buy the N900 as the iphone and Blackberry being common and the blackberry now being a fashion phone anyway. I only bought it a month ago and was very pleased and amazed with the phone or mini-computer shall i say.

I haven't had much time yet to experiment around with the N900 but from reading online, I was really looking forward to learn all the languages, hacks, tricks etc with the phone.

Im not too well informed on this MeeGo business, but from the looks of it and the majority's opinion I am very disappointed with the next step of nokia to abandon maemo 5 and change to this MeeGo. I very much liked the Maemo 5 and was quite unique which is why I liked it. From what it seems there wont be much support from nokia so the N900 will basically be an out of date unfinished phone??!!?!?

If so why not just make the MeeGo an optional Upgrade and users who want to stick with Maemo can do so and continue support and updates through the community and forums like these.

Like i said i was and still am extremely pleased with this phone but now after reading all this, it has come to me as quite a surprise! Lol at cryox92 for I must say he is so right about how Maemo and Nokia advertise the HIGH spec qualities of the camera and video and a few other things but isnt exactly that. Then again overall this mini-computer is a quite a sleek high tech gadget.

I can be certain many users must have attacked Nokia for making this move. I strongly feel and would maybe suggest people request Nokia to keep the maemo option open and make the MeeGo an optional upgrade for users who wish to do so. Maemo could continue to receive updates through users, enthusiasts and experts. I read so much how this phone allowed users to create their own software by open hacking etc, thus being the best phone out there and i chose this over the HTc models including the Desire for this reason!

So whats going to be the future for the N900 now...... Im now in doubt and uncertain whether it was the right decision to buy the N900, which at the time seemed definitly better than the iphone or the other phones in the market.

DUAL BOOT FOR MAEMO 5 AND MEEGO.....................

http://www.nokian900applications.com...in-nokia-n900/

Last edited by chemist; 2010-04-29 at 10:54.

Looks like this pretty much settles it - Nokia will provide a formal MeeGo version for N900.

That's some serious wishful thinking, there are quotes from highly placed individuals that state Meego on N900 is intended as a development platform that may never be suitable for even "enthusiast" users to use as a day to day OS.

Google is failing me to come up with a link at the moment though.

Last edited by KapCaveman; 2010-04-27 at 20:41. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by KapCaveman View Post
That's some serious wishful thinking, there are quotes from highly placed individuals that state Meego on N900 is intended as a development platform that may never be suitable for even "enthusiast" users to use as a day to day OS.

Google is failing me to come up with a link at the moment though.
Then again they have said that if Meego doesnt satisfy the developers it will never satisfy the average user,which is true.There is also a project called "Meego to N900", you can check it for more info.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by bfritsch View Post
Looks like this pretty much settles it - Nokia will provide a formal MeeGo version for N900.
Provide a version is yes, but providing full support is NO.. the N900 version will be just a simple version and will be support by the community, I think.

Well, i'll wait for the day to come!

Originally Posted by bfritsch View Post
Be careful about the word formal. For example, they might provide a release suitable for use but not provide Ovi apps (like maps) and bug fixes.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I know anything's possible, especially with Nokia, but when this guy, who works for Nokia, says that they are working on the MeeGo kernel for the N900 and all the drivers for the N900 hardware, there's not that much more you can expect from Nokia at this point.

So many things can still go wrong with MeeGo that a full commitment at this point is something I feel you just won't get. Knowing that a Nokia team is working on tailoring MeeGo for the N900 is the most I expect at this point and I'm happy to hear it. I was worried that they were working with N910/N1000 prototypes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bfritsch For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Has this boot sequence been mentioned yet?

Tags
just a bunch of