Active Topics

Hi, I am a new user of the Maemo platform, thanks to the Nokia N900, so please please excuse me if anything seems out of order, but feel free to correct me.

Being a professional working in the business world, the following are features that I found sorely missing from my brand new investment:

Problems:

1- In the Phone application missed calls are replaced entirely once a call is made following the original missed call entry. This manner of logging is unhelpful when going through the entries because it does not adhere to a complete chronological order of calling events.

For example. Maria made a missed call in the afternoon when John was sleeping. John woke up and called Maria back but there's no way that John can now know what time Maria called in the afternoon. This is especially cumbersome for professionals who really need to have analytical information about calls, including missed calls.

2- The N900's Contacts application will not display entry details regarding calls.
It only offers a shortcut to the contact along with a status icon, indicating missed, received or called numbers/contacts. This negates the entire benefit of having multiple numbers in one contact entry, because it's impossible to ascertain the number that you or your contact used to call you. This leads to creating multiple entries for the same contact in order to avoid confusion.

For example, it would be nice to know whether mom called from home or from the office. Listing "Mom" alone isn't helpful.

3- The N900's Contacts application when accessed through the Phone application only allows the creation of SMS to un-saved phone numbers. This is in contrast to using the Contacts application directly from the menu,which allows sending SMS to any contact found in the Contacts database.

This effectively means that one is unable to send an SMS to existing contacts while handling the phone in a single-handed manner following a phone call, yet if the number is unsaved an SMS option is present amongst others. I don't see the reason for this inconsistency.

For example, I want to send an SMS to someone who just called me, instead of first having to exit the Phone application and then
trying to find the very same contact in the Contacts database.

4- This leads to the following: The lack of ability to type an SMS text message (or any message) in portrait mode by using the same numerical keypad that the Phone application uses. I might be holding a briefcase and going to a meeting that I'm late to, so having one-handed SMS operation would be a large benefit in single-handed situations. As it stands now, I am unable to send text messages while multi-tasking. This also costs time.

Solutions:

1 - include an option for an "Analytical View" for all calls in full chronological order;

2 - include a sub-option for "Entry Details" for each listed contact, so that the number that was used can be seen AND used if needed for either SMS or Call.

3 - fix this inconsistency by allowing SMS text messages and other forms of communication to be available when accessing a number from the Call List or Contacts application (when accessed through the Phone application). A unified approach between Contacts and Phone is very much needed for seemless transitions without existing to the menu and losing valuable time.

4 - Please include a Portrait mode for Conversations with the ability to type using the numeric keypad, just like on "ordinary" cell phones.

Brainstorm link: http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ncies_on_n900/

Last edited by chemist; 2010-01-12 at 18:44. Reason: Title Change

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to barc0de For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
I am really familiar with the current system and how it works. But a good 48 hours of no sleep made me go into default S60 mode of operation (previous E90 user) and it took a good 5 minutes to find out how to SMS a contact that called me 20 minutes back. It makes no sense to be able to SMS an unknown number and not actual contact numbers. I hope these minor annoyances get fixed soon.
I have to agree with all your points we took these features for granted on S60 platform, guess that comes from its maturity as a phone OS.

Valid points...hope they fix these issues in the firmware updates.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
barc0de, thanks for your well thought out post. However, I think that at least some of your problems/solutions already exist in other Brainstorm items, so it would have been better to have found and voted for those rather than diluting with a new post.

I agree with the inconsistencies raised here. As for #3, there is a way to accomplish this within the Phone application today, although it could certainly be improved: do a long press on the contact in the recent call list, which will bring up a context menu with "Open Contact Card" and "Delete". Select "Open Contact Card" which will bring up all the ways to communicate with that contact, including SMS. Of course, choosing SMS will open up Conversations and put you back in landscape mode, so point #4 is still open.

Originally Posted by barc0de View Post
1- In the Phone application missed calls are replaced entirely once a call is made following the original missed call entry. This manner of logging is unhelpful when going through the entries because it does not adhere to a complete chronological order of calling events.
That's how all my previous nokia phones worked too, I don't like it but it's to avoid using up all the space in the event viewer with a single contact.

2- The N900's Contacts application will not display entry details regarding calls.
Not sure what you mean, do you mean the contacts application when in recent contacts mode?

3- The N900's Contacts application when accessed through the Phone application only allows the creation of SMS to un-saved phone numbers. This is in contrast to using the Contacts application directly from the menu,which allows sending SMS to any contact found in the Contacts database.
This changed and should be fixed in the next software update. For now just do what airjordan17 suggests.

4- This leads to the following: The lack of ability to type an SMS text message (or any message) in portrait mode by using the same numerical keypad that the Phone application uses.
This is probably not going to be fixed. The N900 is considered almost a small ocmputer not a regular phone, so you are supposed to always use the keyboard. Portrait mode works only with the phone application because using it in landscape mode would be painful.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I like they way you've summarized your point's with practical examples.

most of your (valid) concerns are already discussed here though:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33830

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by barisione View Post
This is probably not going to be fixed. The N900 is considered almost a small ocmputer not a regular phone, so you are supposed to always use the keyboard. Portrait mode works only with the phone application because using it in landscape mode would be painful.
Give me a break. I do not wanna pour oil in the fire about the is-it-a-smartphone-or-computer-discussion. The mentioned point by the creator is solvable via software upgrade and would be highly appreciated. If Nokia sells units, because people use the N900 as a phone rather than a computer, this is easy to realize, even though it might take some more time to mature the software. Either way, diminishing the impact of the N900 by saying it is computer and not a phone seems to me unreasonable from any point of view.

Instead of announcing the computer-like origin all the time and calm / supress people who are asking for more phone-like properties, we should rather vote in brainstorm or talk to the Nokia guys to implement these features in long-term as we all gain from it, especially when I need my N900-mini-computer to make some phone calls.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to osfight.de For This Useful Post:
Humm, for points #1 and #2, you can just go to the contact's card in the contacts application, click on the menu and choose 'communication history', you'll get a full history of all communications (send/received/missed calls, sms and IM too). It can be annoying though if you used IM with someone, and you have to scroll through your whole log in the communication history. But it can be helpful for you to know from which phone someone called you, or to know at what time you got that missed call.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kakaroto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
I see potential and general foundation for extensive data presentation using the data the current firmware stores. If Nokia would not do it, someone else can develop a very high quality data extraction and visualization software using the current framework and databases. For instance imagine a timeline representation of all the communication with avatars etc, with search, filter and export or a swirly timeline branching out as you click for details. Would be a great commercial app too Now if someone just do it...

The Following User Says Thank You to nashith For This Useful Post: