Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Maybe your space is too small...
Yeah, or the hands are possibly too small for big screen phones.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by JohnHughes View Post
But then how would you type Ć?
It happens that "Ć" neither exists in French nor in German, so the swiss keyboard doesn't officially have it (nor does the french azerty, by the way). That's why dead ' + C = Ç.

I suspect that in the language that use it (latin-alphabet slavic languages ?), that should be the reverse :
dead ' gives you that one and no dead key to type a cedilla.

(But I assumed the guy asking for a capital Ç was a french speaking guy, with a french keyboard and thus one of the various french language supporting layouts : swiss, french, etc.)

Hence also the whole concept of compose keys or alt+code point combo :
describe characters (using numbers or ASCII) that don't exist on your current keyboard.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
(But I assumed the guy asking for a capital Ç was a french speaking guy, with a french keyboard and thus one of the various french language supporting layouts : swiss, french, etc.)
No, that was me but I did not ask for the Ç nor use French azerty, I'm using qwerty with an international layout just like you I think.

My point was, I'll go for a qwerty layout on Chen's phone because I'm already used to it, but I initially wanted to know if it will be possible in Sailfish to use dead keys and to customize them just like it is possible on desktop Linux and Windows (the keyboard will probably have less keys than a full-size keyboard so I will probably have to use workarounds for ` for instance). I don't know if Sailfish offers the same possibilities, but I'd like to use my native characters on a qwerty keyboard easily and without onscreen menu just like I do with my desktop OSes.

If it's possible, then qwerty may be suitable to more people as long as they don't care too much about what is written on the keys, and even a blank keyboard would work (but will require some practice). Of course that would still be a minority of those whose native layout may never happen as it was the case for the Moto Mod, but still a good news and some hope.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
I don't know if Sailfish offers the same possibilities, but I'd like to use my native characters on a qwerty keyboard easily and without onscreen menu just like I do with my desktop OSes.
QtWayland has support for XKB layouts, which is used by SailfishOS. So the capabilities should be on par with X11 desktop, minus nice UI to configure this (manual layout file editing is probably neeeded if you want something non-standard).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by TheKit View Post
QtWayland has support for XKB layouts, which is used by SailfishOS. So the capabilities should be on par with X11 desktop, minus nice UI to configure this (manual layout file editing is probably neeeded if you want something non-standard).
That'll be fine, I had to edit the configuration file on my Linux laptop too for some custom changes. I had no idea it was the same on Sailfish, but it's probably because so far there is no need for that since the bottleneck is the onscreen virtual keyboard. It is likely harder to customize that than the layout for an hardware keyboard. To be honest I did not investigate this when I got my tohkbd because I was still using azerty at the time, and the tohkbd was produced with that layout as well, so I had no need for a custom layout configuration.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
I would love to see the new device qith qi-carging. I still think this is the future of bringing power to a device

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fridlmue For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fridlmue View Post
I would love to see the new device qith qi-carging. I still think this is the future of bringing power to a device
If it has a metal backplate then wireless charging is a no-go.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Wireless charging. Why? What does that bring to the table? Unless you can walkaround all over our planet earth with it while charging it gives no benefits at all. Or is it somehow more energy consumption effective?

I say wireless charging is scam...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-08-08 at 06:42.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Wireless charging. Why? What does that bring to the table?
Charging...!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Charging...!
Well, do we have a standard or do I need 9 different chargers to different brands...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen