I really do not see reason to use uboot image without attached kernel. kernel nand area is cleaned whole at one time. also you can configure default kernel for booting via etc. and as I remember correctly there was some problem with that patch... also I am not archeologist and I do not have time for finding some patch somewhere on internet. If you want to review some patch, please at least add link to it...

Originally Posted by Alecsandru View Post
estel i wish you to get a corrupted MyDocs and see how your theory works in that case
And how it is related? If you use anything kernel-dependent (thumb), you would be screwed, anyway. Unless you, for once, "read manual" and discover, that in such cases, U-boot can run things from SD card (via u-boot console). Or you can use rescue Os from flasher. Or...

Originally Posted by pali View Post
I really do not see reason to use uboot image without attached kernel. kernel nand area is cleaned whole at one time. also you can configure default kernel for booting via etc. and as I remember correctly there was some problem with that patch... also I am not archeologist and I do not have time for finding some patch somewhere on internet. If you want to review some patch, please at least add link to it...
Well, I do not see any reason to use u-boot image *with* kernel attached But thats OK - everyone haw own favorite ways. That's why I asked to make genbootmenu script respect lack of attached kernel, and stop creating non-working menu entries for it.

This way, someone who use attached kernel is happy, and people who prefer otherwise, doesn't "suffer", too.

As for patch - I don't have it, AFAIK, kerio send it to you, personally. As per his IRC'ing, you haven't had time to look into it. Probably, he should submit it to some git or whatsnot, if you don't have it, it means he didn't.

Anyway, putting kerio aside (I can easily imagine, that his patch was less than ideal and could cause some problems you vaguely remember), *if* it's doable and doesn't cost you too much time, it would be nice, to have u-boot menu generator, that doesn't enforce non-working menu entry for attached kernel.

It could be as simple as parameter given to generate script, like --no-attached, which would disable - at user responsibility - that menu entry. This way, whole heuristic to determine things, would be spared.

If you don't see it as feasible, I can easily live with it. I just though that, while updating generating script anyway, it may be good to fix two nuisances at the same time. Killing two deer with one spear, or something like that...

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
You're the man Thanks.

BTW, it is funny, that patch is probably 3244 shorter, than our 2-pages discussions about rationale for it

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
but only in last your post you proposed solutions with all details.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
help. i'm new in the N900 world, and I can't seem to get the boot menu. updated the bootmenu, restarted with keyboard open and closed, restarted and pressing u, almost everything and i can't seem to get the menu. not even the fall back menu. i have thumb and kernel power 51 if that matters.

New version of package fiasco-image-update-ask is in extras-testing. Please vote for promoting this package to extras. Package is needed for kernel-power and u-boot to ask if you really want to change kernel version when installing u-boot or any kernel package

http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...pdate-ask/0.3/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ljubljana, Slovenia
I made something stupid ... Had u-boot and power kernel installed + nemo on sd card. It's been some time since I last fiddled with device and forgot to be extra cautious -- went and simply uninstalled u-boot via HAM.

Now I have unbootable device -- u-boot is still present and tries to load "something" and device just power off.

Any other way other than flashing?

Thanks,
b.

@sponka: flash, but only kernel.

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot