I converted some videos to a 320 x 240 screen resolution, anticipating to play them on my new 810. But obviously they won't play. How do I resolve this problem? Did I convert improperly or is there a codec for the 810 I am missing?

thanks

if you use nokia's internet tablet video converter, they should play just fine. Install it, open it, and drag your video files onto the work area and it'll make mp4's out of your wmv or avi. it is also set to produce the optimal framerate, resolution, and bitrate for the n810.

I see, thanks for the reply, but the manual says it will play WMV. That's why I converted my videos to that format! I will use the converter, but what is the advantage of having a player that the manual says will play WMV but then I cannot?
Just wondering

you read the manual?
i'm not even sure if mine came with one

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Mattz...

You could always load mplayer because it can surely play wmv files directly and it does it well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Munk For This Useful Post:
OK thanks I will try mplayer

WMV is a format, not a codec. There are a number of codecs that can be used in a WMV format, and some of these aren't supported; as Munk said, use mplayer. AFAIK, there is no codec supported by the osso engine that's not supported by mplayer.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Hey Benson - is there a tablet app that can convert a vid that has a non-compatible codec? I've been fiddling with Sony Vegas 9 and it produced a vid that mplayer wont play. I forget which codec but you can check the vid here www.huecotanks.com/vids , look for spaceBen.mpg .
Thanks,
Steve

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Hi all;
The fix in my case was trivially easy - I had no idea that mplayer was a separate app from the built in media player on my n810. After I installed it from app manager, it played the .mpg no problem! What a great tool - displays detailed info about the media, encoding, etc.
$teve