Posts: 90 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New delhi, India
I am downloading a dump for evopedia ans its size is 4Gb and there are two of them and the other is of 8Gb. when i try to copy that dum file(.tar.bz2) in my N900 it says that there is no disk space even though there is 18Gb left in my phone and when i try to extract the file it does not happen so now how should i use that dump file?

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
tar.bz2 is a compressed format. If they're 4G compressed text, they may be well in excess of 18G when uncompressed. You may want to try this on a desktop system with more space using 7Zip (which can handle bz2).

You can try to manually uncompress the files in an xterm window using this command:
Code:
tar -xjf filename.tar.bz2
I suspect though that the uncompressed file will be more space than you have. Be sure to do this somewhere safe (like /home/users/MyDocs), since filling the root file system has been known to cause device randomness.

Also, if you wanted to see how large the archive is without using all the space on your system (though it may take some time) you should be able to run the following:
Code:
bzcat filename.tar.bz | wc -c
That should tell you how large the archive is uncompressed.

Last edited by woody14619; 2010-06-18 at 18:44. Reason: Added more detail on how to find out uncompressed size.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by sam9953 View Post
I am downloading a dump for evopedia ans its size is 4Gb and there are two of them and the other is of 8Gb. when i try to copy that dum file(.tar.bz2) in my N900 it says that there is no disk space even though there is 18Gb left in my phone and when i try to extract the file it does not happen so now how should i use that dump file?
You can't copy them over because the FAT32 filesystem the N900 uses has a filesize limit of 4Gb. You'd be best extracting them on a PC (most current compression programs will handle .tar.bz2 files) and either copying them over, or writing them directly to a microSD card.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Doah! Thanks Rob1n. Totally missed that they were trying to copy it to the N900, not that it was already there. Yeah, best would be to mount the N900 as a drive and extract to it. But I'm willing to bet you'll run out of space still. Even if most of the archive is images, text compresses really well, and isn't so small when uncompressed.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
You can't copy them over because the FAT32 filesystem the N900 uses has a filesize limit of 4Gb. You'd be best extracting them on a PC (most current compression programs will handle .tar.bz2 files) and either copying them over, or writing them directly to a microSD card.
so how do i extract them to my windows pc as i dont have linux in my pc?

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by sam9953 View Post
so how do i extract them to my windows pc as i dont have linux in my pc?
Assuming you've saved the file to the Nokia N900 entry you can connect it to your computer and drag it out to your desktop. Then just get 7-Zip and you can extract it, and then move the files back to your N900.

Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
Assuming you've saved the file to the Nokia N900 entry you can connect it to your computer and drag it out to your desktop. Then just get 7-Zip and you can extract it, and then move the files back to your N900.
when i extract the file using winrar it says there is no archive and when i transfer it to my N900 it doesnt get transfered, so i cant figure out a way to extract it on my computer.

Install 7-zip, if it still doesn't extract then the file is probably damaged(it's probably better to use a download manager on the computer).

The Following User Says Thank You to ToJa92 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
Install 7-zip, if it still doesn't extract then the file is probably damaged(it's probably better to use a download manager on the computer).
sadly its not able to extract

Last edited by sam9953; 2010-06-19 at 17:14.

I guess you could copy the extracted stuff to your N900 but since I don't use Evopedia I have no idea where to place it.