Posts: 6 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Hungary
Hi,

I found a product that is communicating through a headphone jack to iOS and Android devices. My question is whether it is possible to access and read in data on my N9 through the 3.5 headphone jack?

Thanks for your help!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CreMindES For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
There is an app for the N900 called magread which reads data from a credit card reader gadget distributed by Square to the phone via the 3.5mm headphone jack, though it is only a card reader demo and can only read the data on the magnetic stripe it does not interface with the Square financial services closed API to accept credit card payment via your phone.
It would help if you shared what device you are trying to use.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Hey, why not... I never thought about it but sure, it only needs a driver to do so... I kind of like the idea of sticking a serial console to aux in/out connector...
you just might have saved my day

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Dear juiceme,

I'm pleased to give you an idea. My question was raised when I see the following campain http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/br...2116119?c=home.

I'm not familiar with writing drivers. That's why I'm asking whether would it be possible and doable to adopt this product on the N9?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CreMindES For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
There is an app for the N900 called magread which reads data from a credit card reader gadget distributed by Square to the phone via the 3.5mm headphone jack, though it is only a card reader demo and can only read the data on the magnetic stripe it does not interface with the Square financial services closed API to accept credit card payment via your phone.
It would help if you shared what device you are trying to use.
Thanks for the example, the source code could give us a hint where to look.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CreMindES For This Useful Post:
Does anyone know if one can input video via the audio jack?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kitkatz For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Sure, but your bitrate is going to be fairly small

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@kitlkatz,
It depends on what you mean by input video. If you mean feeding a composite video signal (like from e.g. a video output of a VCR or another N9/00) then the answer is unquestionable no. A video signal needs a bandwidth of a few MHz while the audio input can only handle a few kHz.

If you mean streaming digital video through the audio port, then sure, as juiceme said, all you need is writing a driver but the bitrate would be fairly small. Do not expect more than about 19 kbps.

Lastly, if you mean copying a video file using the audio port as a serial console then that... a file is a file. This is no different than the original question.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Do not expect more than about 19 kbps.
Kinda old, but have you guys seen this:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/0...r-smart-phone/

A gaming cart via headphones, I doubt it would store anything except a password or key, to some kind of digital store.
Which is a shame really.

The Following User Says Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
@kitlkatz,
It depends on what you mean by input video. If you mean feeding a composite video signal (like from e.g. a video output of a VCR or another N9/00) then the answer is unquestionable no. A video signal needs a bandwidth of a few MHz while the audio input can only handle a few kHz.

If you mean streaming digital video through the audio port, then sure, as juiceme said, all you need is writing a driver but the bitrate would be fairly small. Do not expect more than about 19 kbps.

Lastly, if you mean copying a video file using the audio port as a serial console then that... a file is a file. This is no different than the original question.
LOL reminds me of my Youthful days. When I wrote something like that for C64, enabling recording of audio from the tapeplayer.
A Nordic magazine made it on the frontpage and a huge article, announcing WiFi on C64.
Obviously, it was only 1-bit LOL, man, where they upset.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:

Tags
headphone jack, nokia n9