smooth Polycarbonate is not matte, if you want matte and smooth surface you need to add a thin layer of finish to create the matte look. So the Black has a thin layer of matte finish.

The cyan and magenta models are not matte so they need no added finish

Last edited by pataphysician; 2012-03-04 at 14:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to pataphysician For This Useful Post:
Posts: 88 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Czech Republic
Exactly! Because black polycarbonate is not matt in the basic that is why they use the matt paint

Mine has done the same around the nokia logo on the back and on mine its quite bigger than this,

Originally Posted by MaemoJirka View Post
What is not clear??? It is of course polycarbonate but on its upper surface is a matt paint…and that is all..

When you deformate the cover the paint layer can be peeled off( you can do it even the cover is not deformated - if you use a thinner the layer will be washed off)
So the deformated paint makes thouse grey spots. The same effect has in the course of time aggressive sweat.

The blue and pikn variants of nokia do not have such a layer.

And as to my technical inteligence. I work in a service centre of Nokia
Sorry, but my experience with Nokia service centers are not exactly that of high technological expertise.

The point with acetone is that it dissolves polycarbonate. It will liquefy it. You cannot use any arbitrary "thinner", but many nail polish removers will do fine. The whitening effect can be seen here at approximately 00:35 http://www.mobileinquirer.com/2011/n...manufacturing/ That whitening effect is the same you get when bending and tearing polycarbonate.

Originally Posted by MaemoJirka View Post
Exactly! Because black polycarbonate is not matt in the basic that is why they use the matt paint
A fine mist of acetone will do just fine.

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Czech Republic
My eyes do not lie. Now I am just peeling of the layer

As for spraying paint on the material of PC (polycarbonate), they could not be done, but because the plastic parts may exhibit so-called cold joints, which are actually "confluences" two streams flow of injected plastic. These connections can be minimized during the injection molding, but not always completely removed. They then appear as a faint hair and refraction may be different on both sides of the hair. Polycarbonate is also difficult to inject, have a high melting index, forms must be preheated molding and wall thickness also plays a role. If such a shell as a mobile phone, it's no wonder.
Painting plastic is a relatively young technology and is now very widely used virtual machine because a failure to cover the injection. My favorite is called softlak, which induces a feeling rubber coating. Such a surface reduces friction and fit just for mobile phones and other items that we take in hand.

Sorry for my bad english..

Last edited by MaemoJirka; 2012-03-04 at 15:02.

Originally Posted by warrentaye View Post
That looks like chemical exposure of some sort. Do your hands sweat alot? Since its around the edges of the USB and the grooves at the back where moisture can collect.
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Wow. Can you get an even closer pic using macro? It looks like chips of the plastic are missing - that's what it looks like around the camera. Sorta harder to see that on the USB.

Any exposure to stuff in your pockets? Sand? Chemicals? Do you chew on stuff? Wow.
Not really super sweaty, no sand. Could be chemical exposure though, I use a lot of powerful degreaser at work.

Originally Posted by jutley View Post
Oh dear where was you n9 made china or Finland?
China. Bought it from Singapore, imported to US.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
Seems to me there are lots of fake stuff out there, and that include USB/SIM covers. But, each N9 is delivered with a rubber protective case that fits like a glow, gives excellent grip, looks nice and really do protect the device. Why not use it?
Because using a cover defeats the purpose of using a cover. I never drop my phone, so the cover's sole purpose would be to protect from scratches. Scratches are only a blemish. The cover would not only prevent blemishes, but cover them. To me, it's seems silly. A cover would prevent the sleekness of the phone from showing.

At a closer look, it actually looks like you have not removed the protective plastic. I find it hard to believe someone can be that bozo, but unless your device is fake, that is the only explanation.
You're wrong. Originally I had that same idea, that it was a protective cover. So I tried peeling it off from the SIM cover. You can see the result. It didn't peel, it chipped.

Originally Posted by legoman666 View Post
Not really super sweaty, no sand. Could be chemical exposure though, I use a lot of powerful degreaser at work.
This doesn't add up right. Even the SIM-latch chips. That latch is made of ordinary "soft" plastic, but it got the same chipping as the main body, even the same color. Even though the main body would chip, the SIM latch would not.

Your device is fake. The body is not made of polycarbonate and the SIM latch is not made of ordinary "Nokia quality" plastic. That's my best guess so far.

Mine is made in Finland. I have had it for over 5 months now, and I see absolutely nothing of this chipping.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
I have started noticing a small bubble form around the bottom curve of the Nokia silver plate. I have tried to pop it but its flat. Just a white effect.

Nokia - please explain.

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
This doesn't add up right. Even the SIM-latch chips. That latch is made of ordinary "soft" plastic, but it got the same chipping as the main body, even the same color. Even though the main body would chip, the SIM latch would not.

Your device is fake. The body is not made of polycarbonate and the SIM latch is not made of ordinary "Nokia quality" plastic. That's my best guess so far.

Mine is made in Finland. I have had it for over 5 months now, and I see absolutely nothing of this chipping.
You are pretty ridiculous for calling peoples devices fakes. I have 2 n9's, and both exibit the same peeling. You wont make many friends on the forum being so rude.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to optimistprime For This Useful Post: