I absolutely hate it when people think that the number of cores of a processor affects whether or not the device has HDMI output. GPU isn't the same as CPU.

This is exactly what happens when people buy something without thinking and/or doing simple research, and end up complaining here asking absurd questions that border on absolute stupidity.

Last edited by lifeintheblitz; 2012-05-14 at 14:41.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
Like the sgs2 and 3 that no one actually wants to have?
Does sgs3 have all things that I listed ? Or are they coming on sgs4

When you can't have all possible features, you must make decision what features you have and what do not. Someone else would rather take hardware keyboard than hdmi.

I personally would like to have from list hdmi and usb-otg but when i am honest to myself and look what features I have used on devices I have, they are still very rarely used features.

This discussion is pointless because there are a lot of devices on market and in every devices they need to make choices and choices made differ a little bit device by device. There are reasons to have or not to have every feature.

There is also choice in strategy, some manufacturers make only couple of models, some others make dozens of variations with different set of features.

Kate

The limitation is due to TI OMAP 3 SOC, which only has S-video out for second output.

The N8 runs a low clocked TI OMAP 2 SOC, and then adds in a Broadcom Mutimedia chip instead of using the SOC gpu, this is because Symbian can run well on low performance processors.

A TI OMAP 3 with a Broadcom would have cost more, probably used more battery and other possible problems performance problems in the driver area, which wouldn't effect Symbian

By the time the N9 was being designed for production, Meego was killed by Elop, So doing all the work to make a phone with a TI OMAP 4, which does have HDMI, instead of using OMAP 3, which had been used in both the n900 and n950(which would have been released in 2010) didn't make sense.

I think most of us would prefer that the n9 uses OMAP 3 to OMAP 2 plus broadcom. I could care less about outputing HD video, as opposed to a high performance CPU. I mean the n800 and n810 were OMAP 2, with I think an Epson GPU, the broadcom is much better GPU, but I would still take a OMAP 3 over OMAP 2 and broadcom for my uses(cpu, not gpu intensive).

The best would have been OMAP 4, but this was unlikely once Meego was slated to be killed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pataphysician For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Oh yeah, that N8x0 GPU was hilarious. It could do 3D acceleration in theory, but not at the full resolution of the device...
So it was useless and the closed buggy drivers where useless, too.

About the N9... get over it, Nokia sold you a C-Series device for the price of an N-Series device. Isn't Elop a genius?

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by pataphysician View Post
The limitation is due to TI OMAP 3 SOC, which only has S-video out for second output.

The N8 runs a low clocked TI OMAP 2 SOC, and then adds in a Broadcom Mutimedia chip instead of using the SOC gpu, this is because Symbian can run well on low performance processors.

A TI OMAP 3 with a Broadcom would have cost more, probably used more battery and other possible problems performance problems in the driver area, which wouldn't effect Symbian

By the time the N9 was being designed for production, Meego was killed by Elop, So doing all the work to make a phone with a TI OMAP 4, which does have HDMI, instead of using OMAP 3, which had been used in both the n900 and n950(which would have been released in 2010) didn't make sense.

I think most of us would prefer that the n9 uses OMAP 3 to OMAP 2 plus broadcom. I could care less about outputing HD video, as opposed to a high performance CPU. I mean the n800 and n810 were OMAP 2, with I think an Epson GPU, the broadcom is much better GPU, but I would still take a OMAP 3 over OMAP 2 and broadcom for my uses(cpu, not gpu intensive).

The best would have been OMAP 4, but this was unlikely once Meego was slated to be killed.
I would rather have the 1.4GHz arm11 and broadcom bcm2763 as the cpu performance would be almost on par with a8 on 1ghz

Originally Posted by kate View Post
Hardware keyboard, Video projector, HDMI, USB OTG, memory card slot, dual SIM etc
Originally Posted by kate View Post
Does sgs3 have all things that I listed ? Or are they coming on sgs4
SGS2 has MHL, USB OTG, memory card slot.
Dual SIM can be get with an adaptor, video projector through MHL-HDMI-adapter and hardware keyboard with Bluetooth or USB.

So yes, SGS2 and SGS3 is as closest you can get a "perfect device".