Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Lucky users of a pre-production N900, just wait few days and you will have an update for your specific case.

Having a Linux laptop will make your life easier flashing the device entirely.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Lucky users of a pre-production N900, just wait few days and you will have an update for your specific case.

Having a Linux laptop will make your life easier flashing the device entirely.
Well, actually it's not just Linux anymore. As can be read from the flasher announcement, Windows, Linux and Mac OS X (both intel and PPC) are equally supported, when it comes to command-line flashing.

The announcement page contains links to download the flasher tool, but obviously you need a firmware data file before you can really make the tool useful.

Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
The 300 Nokia N900 devices we loaned in the Maemo Summit include software release from early October. This software cannot be updated with Nokia Software Update (NSU) even if NSU identifies the software we are shipping now i.e. 42-11.
Hm, nobody told me that last night so I went ahead and did it[1] and it worked[2] anyway...

This is due to updates in the lower software stack in the pre-production models.
Lower software stack? My kernel is now more recent than the summit[3]

Code:
Nokia-N900-42-11:~# uname -a
Linux Nokia-N900-42-11 2.6.28-omap1 #1 PREEMPT Wed Oct 28 15:32:55 EET 2009 armv7l unknown
So what am I missing? Modem firmware (dare I dream of an early 3 SIM fix) perhaps?

[1] in a VirtualBox XP installation, which (after flashing and while waiting for the N900 to reboot) proceeded to crash and take the host machine with it. Ie, everything else that could go wrong, did.

[2] and I have the bug to prove it ;-)

[3] in fact this whole "week 42" business seems a bit fuzzy - if the summit version was week 41, the 28th of October would be week 44.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Do routine Maemo updates need a reflash as opposed to simply updating things with apt? I'm sure I've seen a video with a 'Maemo Update' of only a few K (so, not the whole OS) appearing in the app manager.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
Do routine Maemo updates need a reflash as opposed to simply updating things with apt?
Most updates should be installable via the Application Manager, yes. They're known as Seamless Software Updates (SSU), and the Maemo team worked hard to make them possible during the time of Maemo 4. In general, full flashing from a computer via USB is expected to only be necessary for those "Gosh, installing/changing/deleting that was a bad idea!" moments, not for updates.

That said, this particular update is somehow unusual, obviously. I expect fanoush, qwerty12, and others are already quite keen on discovering what exactly the mysterious changes to the "lower stacks" were.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
when we do a software update on maemo, does it work like it does with symbian where you have a completely new (start all over) install back to factory settings so that you have to redo all the settings again, or is it like upgrading your vista to win7 where settings remain the same but you get the new software loaded?
only on old symbian devices you have to reinstall everything and redo settings after updating, newer symbian devices have user data preservation so no need to do anything after updates now.

any news when we will get the latest firmware for the N900, that will solve the following:

1)- MMS
2)- Video call
3)- sms hand recognition.
4)- IRDT
5)-FM Radio
6)- &.......cant remember..

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
If you have one of the 300, DON'T use NSU unless you've backed up all your stuff - mine was reset to factory, which is annoying.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by 0Dark Knight0 View Post
5)-FM Radio
No firmware update necessary. The FM radio works already.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
No firmware update necessary. The FM radio works already.
thanx,, what about the rest:

1)- MMS
2)- Video call
3)- sms hand recognition.
4)- IRDT