Notices

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
Does Weave have all the features of Xmarks? Last time I tried Weave, it didn't even work properly (but that was a while back).

Xmarks works pretty well for me. No complaints.
Of course it has the same features but without privacy concerns and useless bloat.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nashville, TN
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
Of course it has the same features but without privacy concerns and useless bloat.
You do know you can have xmarks sync with your own server, right?

The Following User Says Thank You to jsuggs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Xmarks has the advantage of syncing to IE and Safari as well as Firefox. It also has the advantage of a website which you can access from public computers in order to view your bookmarks. Plus, having tried Weave and having used Xmarks since it was Foxmarks, it seems to me to be a much more polished product although Weave's newest release (16 Nov. 2009) is said to have improved things immensely

I find Xmarks' "bloat" can be useful but you are allowed to opt out of it. The Google integration flags sites that are frequently bookmarked in their database. This is covered by their privacy policy: "Unless you opt out, we anonymize, aggregate, and analyze the bookmarks of our users in order to provide a range of Search and Discovery services like Smarter Search, Suggested Tags, and Top Sites."

If you prefer Weave, I don't have a problem with that. But you don't need to attack the competition with baseless complaints.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by jsuggs View Post
Good point. I have used that feature, and I may want to go back to that in the future. So I consider it an important optional feature.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Last edited by MountainX; 2009-11-20 at 17:37.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by jsuggs View Post
You do know you can have that with Weave too, right?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Xmarks is sh*tty anyway, since they collect your bookmarks data for data mining. And manipulates your Google results by default. Just use Mozilla's own Weave, it does the same thing, better.
You can (i do) use your own server. No mining there.

How does it manipulate your google results?

Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
Does Weave have all the features of Xmarks? Last time I tried Weave, it didn't even work properly (but that was a while back).

Xmarks works pretty well for me. No complaints.
Weave works good now. And you can sync more than with xmarks (history for example). And like with xmarks, you can use your own server.

The Following User Says Thank You to robbie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
I and a few others have yet to get Weave to work properly - it never syncs anything, unless I'm doing it wrong (not that there's much to 'do').

When I open the add-ons in Firefox Mobile, I can disable or uninstall Weave, but the Options button is always grayed out - do I need to do something else?

I've tried Xmarks, and it never worked, though I didn't think to try copying over a config from my desktop - maybe i'll try that.

This has always been the big fail for Maemo, for me (from N800 to N810 to N900) is that it doesn't sync with my browser. Given that the N900 is advertised as having a full desktop browser, why *wouldn't* I want all the same bookmarks available? This is actually one reason I have (and love) my netbook. i can bookmark something on my main computer and by the time I open my netbook and launch the browser, it's there for me, so i can easily move to the couch or whatever.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
I and a few others have yet to get Weave to work properly - it never syncs anything, unless I'm doing it wrong (not that there's much to 'do').
I can't speak to your specific problem but Weave released a new version this week. If you aren't running that you might try and see if it resolves anything.

for the sake of clarity : XMARKS is NOT SUPPORTED by Fennec b5.
I hope it clears the doubt.
I'm a big fan but got around using Weave.

The Following User Says Thank You to atz6975 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nashville, TN
@atz6975 - Thanks for finally answering the question.

So I guess the real question is now: Will xmarks ever support the n900? I have created a thread on the xmarks forums. Let them know if this is something you'd like to see as well.

http://getsatisfaction.com/foxmarks/..._on_nokia_n900

The Following User Says Thank You to jsuggs For This Useful Post: