Closed Thread
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
OK... I finished reflashing my N800 clean, it finished doing the SSU update and it didn't have any problem.. and now the backup tool is restoring everything. So far, so good! It appears to have worked fine the second time I did the SSU (mind you, there's almost nothing on it at the time). The way things are going, I expect it to be completely back to the way it was within the next half hour or so, once I finish tweaking things back to the way I like it.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
A couple known/suspected problem apps (at some time; not necessarily issues now, but wanted to get them out there):
  • Powerlaunch
  • Any rotation implementation
I know there were more discussed clear back when some of us got pre-Diablo SSU; I just don't remember what... Maybe we should work up a blacklist, though, since this seems to be a recurring issue.
I am experiencing the same reboot loops (fun) for the first time in a *long* while (first time for my N810).

I didn't have anything weird installed. A few apps from the Chinook repo but no core stuff changed. I also didn't uninstall the version metapackage or switch to the unlocked one so there should have been no strange core component updates creeping in.

One thing that I did notice was halfway though the update (after the download), the wifi connection went down. Not sure what the cause was. The update proceeded normally so I didn't worry about it. The update progress bar was about 75% complete and it just stopped and the updatable application list refreshed with a bunch of new updates available.

I waited a few minutes for something to happen (error dialog, popup asking to reboot, etc.) but nothing did.

I didn't bother trying to update those other apps yet but I did try to reconnect the wifi but no AP selection window would pop up.

I tried the power button to reboot. No popup there either which is strange since that seems to work no matter how hooped your desktop might be.

The only way I could reboot is to login as root and do a 'shutdown -r now'

Now endless reboot loops until I popped the battery out.

So when I get home, I'll try disabling the watchdogs and see if the boot proceeds normally. In the past, some of my desktop applets have been the culprit (omweather to be exact).

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Or wait for proper update with real patched -36 linuxrc this evening (~ 5 hours from now).
OK, get updated version from http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/initfs_flasher.tgz
394539 bytes, md5sum f548608282832c73b79d210819bacf23 (sometimes people complain they get older version so please check in case of problems)

I have tried it on my updated N810 and it seems to work :-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Seemless updates shouldn't have these kinda issues should they?

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ California, USA
All is well again including applications and settings. Had to clear some space on the internal memory for the update to cache which involved removing all of the foreign (to me) language user guides to make room.

Go team!

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
OK, get updated version from http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/initfs_flasher.tgz
394539 bytes, md5sum f548608282832c73b79d210819bacf23 (sometimes people complain they get older version so please check in case of problems)

I have tried it on my updated N810 and it seems to work :-)
so when are we going to get a deb?

I had lots of weird stuff installed and had (mostly) no problems with 2 n800s. Will be reflashing initfs etc in a little bit though.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Seemless updates shouldn't have these kinda issues should they?
What? You expect it to be seamless?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Endicott, NY
I did an update this morning and all seemed to go well, however when I check the "About Product" in the "Control Panel" it reports back as version 4.2008.30-2.! It appeared to do the update, created all the manuals in various languages and put new apps on the desktop. Anyone else seeing this?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by svrkprabhakar View Post
But do you think the hardware is so bad to perform so terrible for playing small videos? I remember owning cyrix 233 Mhz processor 8 year back and my PC used to play videos and tv nuner pretty well! I believe it has partly to do with the bad architecture, OS, software etc etc.
The issue has been explained dozens of times before. Your old Cyrix didn't have to render a 225 dpi display with an 800x480 resolution with a crappy LCD controller.

Anyway, try searching.

Closed Thread

Tags
diablo, os2008, ssu, upgrade