http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...099#post569099

two threads same topic, any chance of combining the two?

So, we are back to the beginning... we do not know if it will come or not. Not that I care that much as I like Maemo 5 so far comming from N800 but on the other sinde: it would be quite cool to own the first mobile (device/phone what ever) where you can choose between more than 1 official OS ;-)

Glasswalker

The Following User Says Thank You to Glasswalker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by Freemantle View Post
And while this page is a really good repository of information, can you point out the parts of it from which an average end user (i.e. not a developer) can take heart?

this isn't a challenge by the way, I just can't see the parts of it that actually mean something for me (as an average user).
I'm not quite sure why the "average user" is so concerned about MeeGo appearing on the n900.

Maemo 5 & the n900 is still a very capable combination.
New applications seem to be appearing daily on the "Download" page here at maemo.org.

As a software developer myself I will certainly still write software for the n900 and maemo. There is still plenty of life in it yet.

Personally I expect the absolute minimum time I'll have my n900 will be 2 years. I imagine many owners will feel the same - especially for the price (£500).

I've owned the n900 since December 2009 and from day one have found it to be extremely useful. I use it on a daily basis and installed a collection of applications that are invaluable to me.

I don't see how the non-existence of MeeGo is holding back the n900. The "development" version of MeeGo probably will not be usable for a typical user for many months yet. Nokia won't support it which means it won't have Nokia-written applications or branding installed but there is the freedom to install community-written applications instead.

So no "official" Nokia developed version of MeeGo but a community-developed version instead.

There are hundreds of Linux-based distributions available for PCs that are a mixture of commercial and community developed versions.
The same thing hopefully will be the same for MeeGo - some people may even fork MeeGo and develop alternate versions of it.

When the 1.2 firmware update is finally released, the QT libraries will make the transition between maemo and a MeeGo device much easier.

The worse case scenario is the n900 never gets a "stable" release of MeeGo.

So what?

It does not mean it stops becoming a useful device.

I have a lot of faith in the community and suspect MeeGo will appear on the n900 - Nokia's blessing or permission is not needed. If Nokia wants to offiicially support it then great even better.

For me the only concern are the proprietory drivers that are present on the n900. If they remain closed and no open source version is ever available then the n900 will never receive a fully-functional version of MeeGo - unless Nokia either release the full specs of the hardware or release the source code of the drivers or make linkable firmware binary blobs.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Wow for once the Engadget commenters are making sense. Arguably they are making more sense than many of the posters here!

The Following User Says Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
and engadget credited me this time.

That explains all the comment spam on my blog.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
jesus. why is a Decision so hard??????? lol

HTC HD2 Getting Windows Mobile 7 Upgrade - heard about this in 09 way before win7 was ready.

this is doing my head in. people are forgetting how amazing maemo5 is, not voting for apps and everything seems to have slowed down waayy to much

Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
jesus. why is a Decision so hard??????? lol

HTC HD2 Getting Windows Mobile 7 Upgrade - heard about this in 09 way before win7 was ready.

this is doing my head in. people are forgetting how amazing maemo5 is, not voting for apps and everything seems to have slowed down waayy to much
Sorry i have been a bit confused about the HD2 and WM7 thing, but wasn't it just announced that HD2 wont be getting WM7?

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
HTC HD2 will be left out for an upgrade. my bad. this is still doing my head in anyway lol

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I know this is the wrong thread....but i really dont understand why people like windows mobile and the htc hd2. Other than the large screen size i really dont understand what windows mobile has to offer?
So whatmare the adfantages of win mobile over maemo?

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I know this is the wrong thread....but i really dont understand why people like windows mobile and the htc hd2. Other than the large screen size i really dont understand what windows mobile has to offer?
So whatmare the adfantages of win mobile over maemo?
/off topic

It's the customization and shells you can get for it. Like mobile shell and touchflo. With 4-7% market share and small community it was still pretty active one.
When it comes to HD2 that device is really fast, good hardware(apart of the camera) and great support example for videos.

I was a Symbian guy when it was Symbian vs WM and always been looking to be able to make the device your own. WM was better at this, but then just as important was that the UI follows same guidelines everywhere and a feel that it's tied to the the hardware somehow.
WM felt like a PDA UI that was slapped to a different hardwares.

Maemo to me got so much of the basics just like i want. It's PC like, but it's all tied nicely to it's own like UI and community driven. That of course doesn't means that example Nokia here should get it easy. It should support the OS just as much as if it would not be community driven.

Thought i buy 1-2 phones every year so to me that the HW continues to live isn't that important, but apps need to be carried over.

Last edited by tissot; 2010-03-16 at 14:50.