Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Like SSH and an SFTP client.
But I don't necessarily have a computer with me when I want to do something in the guts of my N800, so SSH won't help me at those times. emelFM2 will.

There may be better alternatives than emelFM2 that could be ported to Maemo -- my knowledge is very limited in that regard. But I know that it serves a purpose for me not served by command line nor by SSH, and that, unlike other potential Linux file managers, emelFM2 has been ported to Maemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Like SSH and an SFTP client.
Or even better ssh and emacs/tramp

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by fms View Post
I do not think "we" need emelfm2. It is notoriously quirky and running it on even smaller screen will not make it better. If I understand correctly, nobody here can make himself use Midnight Commander? If that is the case, "we" may just need a new file manager instead. May I suggest porting ROX Filer again, this time porting it well? Here is the homepage:

http://roscidus.com/desktop/ROX-Filer/
I like the looks of that app. it will be familiar to a Windows user, and the icon view appeals to me. Can it be redone in Qt? And what about Dolphin?

May not help alot. But if all you want to do is look around at all the files on your device. You can open the web browser and type "file:" in the address bar. The web browser seems to show lots more stuff than the File browser.

Ok - here is another simple file manager question.

How do I copy files (from within MyDocs) to the sd card using the file manager?

Maybe I'm missing something, I hoped the file manager would have showed the card after I inserted it. Or do I need to reboot before it shows up? Or does it not show up at all!?

Thanks,
Spann

Originally Posted by spann View Post
Ok - here is another simple file manager question.

How do I copy files (from within MyDocs) to the sd card using the file manager?

Maybe I'm missing something, I hoped the file manager would have showed the card after I inserted it. Or do I need to reboot before it shows up? Or does it not show up at all!?

Thanks,
Spann
Minutes ago I moved mp3 folders from MyDocs to SD. SD showed up in the file manager and I just picked "move" from the menu.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I optified the emelfm2 package available on qole's site (0.5.0-rev29) and tweaked the config file for a better gui. The package was somewhat too large so couldn't be attached to the post; it's here.

(I uploaded it on my site with maemoftp which quite luckily works under Maemo5 too . Should someone like an optified version, lacking only some icons which likely came from the maemo4 system, it's here.)
Attached Images

Last edited by debernardis; 2009-12-24 at 10:29. Reason: added optified maemoftp

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 472 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
I really like the way I use Nautilus in Ubunto... I just open a "sudo nautilus" and then I can edit config files with gedit.. I am visual/artistisc person and just finds it very hard to use terminal and think in those terms.. I would like to be able to but the filemanager in sudo mode and see and edit all files as I do in Ubuntu

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by claesbas View Post
I really like the way I use Nautilus in Ubunto... I just open a "sudo nautilus" and then I can edit config files with gedit.. I am visual/artistisc person and just finds it very hard to use terminal and think in those terms.. I would like to be able to but the filemanager in sudo mode and see and edit all files as I do in Ubuntu
You just open xterm, type 'sudo gainroot', then 'emelfm2', and you're there.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 472 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
You just open xterm, type 'sudo gainroot', then 'emelfm2', and you're there.
Ok, cool.. I tried that but it didn't find the emelfm2 thing. As a noob I tried "apt-get install emelfm2" aswell but it did not find anything there either.. I am guessing I need to install something from devel to get this.. ?