Version 1.8.0 pushed to Store.

Changelog:
* Condition: Battery level
* Condition: Internet connection, any and no internet connection options
* Fix: Edited internet connection name and WLAN condition
* Some new D-Bus APIs for scripting
Now available from store.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Donated. Hope it helps. There will be more from me as the updates come. So far everything profilematic-wise is working without a hitch. keep up the good work mate!

The Following User Says Thank You to justadude For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by that, but reading that I realized I haven't thought about moving between time zones at all. Now that I thought about it, I think ProfileMatic's time based conditions can behave erratically when moving from time zone to another. So there's very likely something that needs at least fixing there.
Ah yes, I can see how that could be an issue...
I wasn't raising it for that reason, but I'm glad it's made you realise/consider something you hadn't!

I guess you're thinking of updating the calendar entries so that the times are good on the new time zone? I imagine the calendar works so that if you put calendar entry to 18:00 - 19:00, and you move to TZ+2, the calendar entry is still 18:00 - 19:00 and doesn't keep synchronized to the time zone it was initially set in.
Yep, I think you've got it, TBH I got the idea reading this thread:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...?t=2010262#r10
(no need to read the entire thing, just read from there till the end)
*EDIT*
Actually rereading that entire thread this may be somewhat redundant.
Guess it depends on whether Harmattan's calendaring is the same (I think it is).

Another idea for future releases (time/interest permitting ofc); why not a auto-save mechanism for rules that are currently in place?
i.e. it auto backs-up every 24hrs, keeps a copy of the last 5 back-ups done, & names each according to their time/date stamp.
In the UI you could chose from one of them to restore your config (& the UI could highlight which dated backup you're using).

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-11-19 at 17:00. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by justadude View Post
Donated. Hope it helps. There will be more from me as the updates come. So far everything profilematic-wise is working without a hitch. keep up the good work mate!
Thanks for the generous donation, it does help a lot. Good that it just works, it's nice to hear that once in a while too .

Yep, I think you've got it, TBH I got the idea reading this thread:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...?t=2010262#r10
(no need to read the entire thing, just read from there till the end)
*EDIT*
Actually rereading that entire thread this may be somewhat redundant.
Guess it depends on whether Harmattan's calendaring is the same (I think it is).
That was interesting read and kind of made sense. I will need to think what if anything should be done about time zone changes. However I do feel that changing the calendar if it's done must be the OSs responsibility, but ProfileMatic should react probably somehow to those changes. Right now there's nothing.

Another idea for future features, time/interest permitting ofc, how about a auto-save mechanism for rules that are currently in place?
i.e. it auto backs-up every 24hrs, & keep a copy of the last 5 auto back-ups done...
Then in the UI you could have an option to choose between one of them (& it highlights in the UI which dated backup you're using).
That's an interesting idea. But do people really change their rules that much that it would be useful? I'm generalizing from my own usage that once the rules are in place they only change quite seldom.

This would of course be totally doable and might be a nice feature for certain use-cases.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Thanks for nice update ajalkane, thoug I still miss the "return previous state" function for mobile network modes.

I just got an idea about inverting location rule. Probably not a must for most users, but I just thought it could be nice to make some rules activate only when I'm NOT at certain place, like work.

About the trick I told earlier at:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=810

It seems to work mostly, maybe a bit better than just gconf, but sometimes connection still is left on after setting restricted mode on. However, switching power save mode on for couple of minutes after this seems to solve the problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to kkarioja For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kkarioja View Post
Thanks for nice update ajalkane, thoug I still miss the "return previous state" function for mobile network modes.
Sorry for missing that. I did go through my list of things to be done for "easy to add" items before making this release, but it seems I had forgotten to add this one. But I've added it now so hopefully I'll notice it for the next release.

I just got an idea about inverting location rule. Probably not a must for most users, but I just thought it could be nice to make some rules activate only when I'm NOT at certain place, like work.
This has been suggested sometimes, but I'm wary of adding these NOT rules without a concrete use-case for several reasons. Are you sure this NOT location can not be solved by using Default rule? Meaning, specify the rule with actions when you're in location, but in Default rule specify the actions when NOT in the location.

About the trick I told earlier at:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=810

It seems to work mostly, maybe a bit better than just gconf, but sometimes connection still is left on after setting restricted mode on. However, switching power save mode on for couple of minutes after this seems to solve the problem.
There is a way for detecting if data transfer is going on, at least on mobile network - but it might require C++ code. I'm already using such code in ProfileMatic for not changing mobile network mode if a call or data transfer is ongoing.

Please do report on your experiences on switching the background connections on/off. It is at least useful for people to add to custom action... And if there's a fool-proof way to do it, I might find a way to add it to ProfileMatic as a real action, unless platform security gets in the way. But restarting critical operating system services is something I am really wary of integrating into the UI, as there is bound to be adverse effects causing headache for users who then quite understandably would blame ProfileMatic.

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 130 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Pakistan
Thank you for the great app. Very useful.

I want to make an important suggestion.

It would be great if we could set the Profile for Individual Contacts regardless of the current profile selection.

For example. If I have turned the phone to Silent and I am to receive an important phone call from a person and want to receive it, I want to set only that contact's call to Ring.

Hope you have got the idea. I request you to try to incorporate it.

Thank you.

Are you sure this NOT location can not be solved by using Default rule? Meaning, specify the rule with actions when you're in location, but in Default rule specify the actions when NOT in the location.

Please do report on your experiences on switching the background connections on/off. It is at least useful for people to add to custom action...
I guess the NOT location can be replaced with default rule in most cases. I actually haven't a real need for this, I just thought some actions might be nice to run e.g. when I'm charging the phone NOT at my office. Nonetheless, I find this quite unimportant.

Has anyone faced any other problem with background connections, than connection being left on despite switching background connections off? This is only problem I've had, and I might have a hunch why is this.

The Following User Says Thank You to kkarioja For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by khan.orak View Post
It would be great if we could set the Profile for Individual Contacts regardless of the current profile selection.
This is something I've wanted to do for some time already... so yes, I hope to do it one of these days.

Thanks for the feedback!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
They might be very similar in how they are stored and triggered, but accessing them is quite different. There is a clear API for calendar, both in QtMobility and in the platform libraries. However for Alarms, I haven't found any good documentation, so it will require much more experimentation and trial-and-error before I get something working. In contrast, calendar events can be obtained through documented APIs and there are even several open source applications that I can peek at to get some real-life working code examples as a base.

So, while Alarm conditions are actually much easier to implement if the API is figured out, in reality I expect it to be much more rocky road. The D-Bus examples that you've digged out will be very helpful when I will start to look at it, so thanks for them - without those I wouldn't even know where to begin.
I just realised I haven't given you the link to Cristi Boian's blog on setting alarms in harmattan.

It's probably the only place to get some sort of documentation on timed. Someone managed to compile the simple-client for timed on harmattan but I have no clue what to feed it to set or replace an alarm.

I don't know if you were aware of these, but I hope they help once/if you get around to it.

The Following User Says Thank You to slarti For This Useful Post: