Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
Just apt-get install python libvorbisfile3

Code:
Nokia-N900:~# apt-get install python libvorbisfile3
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
python is already the newest version.
libvorbisfile3 is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

then do
cd /usr/lib
ln -s libpython2.6.so.1.0 libpython2.5.so.1.0
I get this

Code:
Nokia-N900:~# cd /usr/lib/ 
Nokia-N900:/usr/lib# ln -s libpython2.6.so.1.0 libpython2.5.so.1.0
ln: libpython2.5.so.1.0: File exists

and when I try executing paintown I get:

Code:
Nokia-N900:/home/user/paintown# ./paintown 
./paintown: error while loading shared libraries: libpython2.6.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Originally Posted by lonk View Post
No luck for me, here's what I get:

Code:
Nokia-N900:~# apt-get install python libvorbisfile3
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
python is already the newest version.
libvorbisfile3 is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

I get this

Code:
Nokia-N900:~# cd /usr/lib/ 
Nokia-N900:/usr/lib# ln -s libpython2.6.so.1.0 libpython2.5.so.1.0
ln: libpython2.5.so.1.0: File exists

and when I try executing paintown I get:

Code:
Nokia-N900:/home/user/paintown# ./paintown 
./paintown: error while loading shared libraries: libpython2.6.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
sorry about this I messed up again... Instead of

it should be like this

ln -s libpython2.5.so.1.0 libpython2.6.so.1.0

The Following User Says Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
sorry about this I messed up again... Instead of

it should be like this

ln -s libpython2.5.so.1.0 libpython2.6.so.1.0

No it's ok, thanks to you it works now and I now understand parts of how to get pandora apps working on the n900 (extracting pnds etc..I just tried Pencil and it worked )

On Paintown, that works perfectly! the config mentioned something about using a joystick if it detects it, so I tried Paintown with my usb gamepad (with hen) and the select button works from there. I don't know if there is a way I can help from there...

i'll post some screenshots

Screenshots

selecting an option always crashes the first time around but works fine second time. Thanks again Radicatz!

The Following User Says Thank You to lonk For This Useful Post:
how is the perfomance?
good, fast, slight lag?

Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
how is the perfomance?
good, fast, slight lag?

Ok @600MHZ and without changing any settings that can improve performance

-Mugen: very laggy and low framerate, it seems like it's because of the music playing, when it stops playing it runs better. @805MHZ runs full speed with some lags here every minute or so
-Adventure Mode: works better than mugen mode, didn't lag that much or at all. Should be fast @805MHZ
-Platformer Mode: Just the mario background from my screenshot shows, and that's it, so either it doesn't work or I need to add some mods myself for it to work

The Following User Says Thank You to lonk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lonk View Post
Ok @600MHZ and without changing any settings that can improve performance

-Mugen: very laggy and low framerate, it seems like it's because of the music playing, when it stops playing it runs better. @805MHZ runs full speed with some lags here every minute or so
-Adventure Mode: works better than mugen mode, didn't lag that much or at all. Should be fast @805MHZ
-Platformer Mode: Just the mario background from my screenshot shows, and that's it, so either it doesn't work or I need to add some mods myself for it to work
thx, very useful. Guess I'll check it out later, I Just love making stuff for my mugen. Be nice to see a bit of it on my n900. Hurray! lol

Hi, I am the author of Paintown. Glad to see you guys got it working on the N900. A long time ago I got Paintown to run on the N500 using the Allegro4 library, I had a picture of it somewhere but I can't find it..

Anyway python really has nothing to do with the current implementation. Its just there to experiment with writing scripted levels but so far none exist so a new build could be made that does not include python and you would not have to fool with linking python2.5 to 2.6 (which is fairly dangerous, if python was actually used it would most likely crash at some point).

The platformer thing is an experimental feature that has no content other than being able to scroll around the mario background. You can disable it by removing the (platformer ...) part from data/menu/main.txt.

The keys in the mugen.cfg don't do anything so don't bother changing them.

I know mugen mode is fairly slow, there are many graphical effects that mugen uses which are slow to reproduce in software using 16-bit color. The original mugen was written in 8-bit color and doing palette effects there was relatively painless.

How much memory does the typical n900 have? I have troubles running some mugen characters on the Wii for example because it only has 80m of ram. I am slowly working on optimizing memory usage in mugen as well.

I'm curious as to why the game crashes the first time an option is selected but the second time it works. Can you provide any more information as to exactly under what circumstances that occurs?

Feel free to join me in my irc channel on irc.freenode.net in #paintown.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jon5 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Harmattan port would be nice for N9/N950 users!

Originally Posted by jon5 View Post
Hi, I am the author of Paintown. Glad to see you guys got it working on the N900. A long time ago I got Paintown to run on the N500 using the Allegro4 library, I had a picture of it somewhere but I can't find it..

Anyway python really has nothing to do with the current implementation. Its just there to experiment with writing scripted levels but so far none exist so a new build could be made that does not include python and you would not have to fool with linking python2.5 to 2.6 (which is fairly dangerous, if python was actually used it would most likely crash at some point).

The platformer thing is an experimental feature that has no content other than being able to scroll around the mario background. You can disable it by removing the (platformer ...) part from data/menu/main.txt.

The keys in the mugen.cfg don't do anything so don't bother changing them.

I know mugen mode is fairly slow, there are many graphical effects that mugen uses which are slow to reproduce in software using 16-bit color. The original mugen was written in 8-bit color and doing palette effects there was relatively painless.

How much memory does the typical n900 have? I have troubles running some mugen characters on the Wii for example because it only has 80m of ram. I am slowly working on optimizing memory usage in mugen as well.

I'm curious as to why the game crashes the first time an option is selected but the second time it works. Can you provide any more information as to exactly under what circumstances that occurs?

Feel free to join me in my irc channel on irc.freenode.net in #paintown.
Hi! Not sure if you're aware but the cfg file location is wrong on the build I tested.

[2:paintown] Current File: mugen.cfg
[2:paintown] Checking for file in data/mugen/datamugen.cfg
[2:paintown] Couldn't find file: mugen.cfg
[2:paintown] Correcting file: mugen.cfg, in directory: data/mugen/data.
Got 14 files.

that's why I moved mugen.cfg to datamugen.cfg, sort of a missing slash on the file path...

Anyways the real configuration file is located at
/home/user/.paintownrc
just in case someone needs it. You could modify game keys, fullscreen on or off & fix the screen resolution.

Only problem for me now is how do i select the options from these windows or at least modify them

Ram of n900 is 250mb + swap so should be pretty playable compared to wii :)

And about the crashing so far haven't encountered anything like that yet. So can't help since I can't reproduce the problem.

Last edited by Radicalz38; 2011-11-15 at 09:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post: