Posts: 65 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Austria
First of all, thanks for this great work!

I successfully installed the first update. The N810 is - subjectively definitely - responding quicker having diablo turbo installed.

After trying to install the second updates, I ran into problems. First, the kernel install reports an error message "short read buffer_copy" and then I realized that everytime after I installed the kernel fsck.ext2 reports errors.

Can this be caused by the install? Kindly let me know your ideas how to solve this issue.

Here are the details:
(1) Installing diablo turbo
The error message is:
Reading database...
Preparing to replace kernel-dt-sd 2.6.21-2 (using kernel-dt-sd_2.6.21-3_all.deb)...
Unpacking replacement...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): short read in buffer_copy (failed to write to pipe in copy)
dpkg-deb: supbrocess paste returned exit status 2
dpkg: error processing kernel-dt-sd_2.6.21-3_all.deb (--install):
short read in buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during `./boot/zImage-sd-preempt-256Hz')
Installing new kernel modules in initfs...
Flashing new kernel image...
Image(s) successfully flashed
Kernel image flashed
Please reboot
Errors were encountered while processing:
kernel-dt-sd_2.6.21-3_all.deb

-> rebooting works, uname still reports kernel 19 Feb

(2) fsck internal partition

fsck.ext2 /dev/mmcblk0p2
Pass 1
Inode 18792, i_block is 64, should be 8
(...)
Pass 5
Block Bitmap differ (65368--65374)
Free blocks count is wrong in group #1 (160, counted=167)
Free blocks count is wrong (104468, counted=104475)

I corrected this, tried to install the kernel again. But groundhog day returned:

18793, 65369--65375, 159-166, 104466, 104473
18795, 41629--41635, 157-164, 104462, 104469
18796, 65378--65384, 156-163, 104460, 104467

I checked badblocks on the partition with no avail.

Comments? Is there a connection with the diablo turbo install? How best to proceed?

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by edt View Post
> What is the effect of that patch? Links?
> if it is for current kernels, I doubt it can be ported, at least with a > reasonable amount of work.

I allows the ondemand policy to use intermediate frequencies more often instead of just the highest and lowest.
It looks quite interesting
Does this have all the patches (nokia's too) for n8x0 included. If not where are the patches from nokia? I'll see if the ondemand stuff can be backported.
The diablo kernel comes not from mainline but form the omap branch, it contains all the patches from Nokia.
You can download the tar.gz from the maemo repositories: http://repository.maemo.org/pool/dia...source-diablo/
All my patches are for this kernel
Welcome aboard
Other projects I'm interested in are:
- Porting the kdbus patch (I think I'm near completion)
- Improving ramzswap: see if it possible to write a defragmenter, and try to make the backing swap useful by making the swap device size independent from the backing swap device.

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by scy View Post
First of all, thanks for this great work!

I successfully installed the first update. The N810 is - subjectively definitely - responding quicker having diablo turbo installed.

After trying to install the second updates, I ran into problems. First, the kernel install reports an error message "short read buffer_copy" and then I realized that everytime after I installed the kernel fsck.ext2 reports errors.

Can this be caused by the install? Kindly let me know your ideas how to solve this issue.
You simply have a damaged filesystem for whatever reason (sure you haven't a full filesystem?). DT has that shutdown issue which causes the filesystem not to be umounted when it happens, and ext2 doesn't act kindly if it is not unmounted, having a tendency to accumulate errors.
At my firsts attemps at boot from mmc, much before DT, I also ran into troubles with ext2 quite often.
The best sollution is to move to ext3, as the journal protects you from the usual problems that arise if the ext2 filesystem is not properly umounted.
To solve your problem now, boot into flash and "fsck -p -f" the ext2 partition. Then I suggest you to convert it to ext3 (Diablo incorrectly mounts ext3 as ext2 but DT fixes that)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Straycat View Post
I have installed all the packages the old and the upgraded ones.

With the new bluez-utils package I can pair with my BH-214 headset and it plays for 2-3 seconds aprox. Then it suddenly stops playing. Pairing is still established but no sound trough headset.

I'm still testing.
Please keep me updated, I do not have a BT headset to be able to test this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by luca View Post
Ok, but the "Sat Feb 19" one cannot be from the community update (I checked the repository and that was in august 2010), according to the date it must be one of the diablo turbo one.
The only diablo turbo kernel package I installed is the "broken" one, and you said that, due to a bug, it didn't really install the kernel.
I'm confused now, (more than usual )
You probably flashed a DT test zImage before installing the kernel-dt-sd package.
I'm actually surprised you haven't run into any issue because of kernel modules.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I went ahead and followed your directions to install everything including update2 on my Nokia N800. It took maybe several minutes between downloading and ssh'ing into my tablet to issue the dpkg commands, reboot and VOILA! Easy peasy!

I have to say that it *DOES* breath a LOT more life into this device. One of the most OBNOXIOUS damned things about the N800 over all the years I've had it was the damned blocking and the reboots from unresponsiveness. But now--it doesn't seem to happen anymore. It's FAR more responsive and SEEMS to work a little more smoothly, if not actually faster or more efficiently. It's certainly made it feel "right" and useful again after rarely using my N800 anymore now that I spoiled myself on the fluidity of Android.

I'm REALLY glad to see a few real and tangible updates coming to the OS at a low-level (where it counts! Like in the kernel and bluez stack and so on).

THANK YOU!!!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
OK, I'm even more impressed that I was able to even play unconverted avi files and that the camera apps don't crash the heck out of my N800 like they have been for years.

If you know me and have followed my conversations, you know it's not impossible for me to hand out compliments about Maemo but it's been rare. It's been increasingly rarer as time goes on and Maemo becomes more stale and rotten with time and with the closed-source portions preventing much from being done. I went through the trouble of pointing this out to put it into perspective when I tell you that I'm impressed and you've done a splendid job, maacruz! I can't thank you enough for making this N800 interesting and useful to me again.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 218 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ spain
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
Please keep me updated, I do not have a BT headset to be able to test this.
Well... now I'm hearing Rory Gallagher trough the bluetooth headset without any trouble so...

Maybe some reboot helped to solve the initial problem. I'll keep you in touch with this.

Now another question, did you know how can I enable the a2dp profile on the device??

Thanks in advance!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Straycat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
You probably flashed a DT test zImage before installing the kernel-dt-sd package.
No, I didn't. I just installed these packages:

dbus_1.0.2-0osso15_armel.deb
libdbus-1-3_1.0.2-0osso15.armel.deb
dbus-1-utils_1.0.2-0osso15_armel.deb
libgconf2-6_2.16.9-1osso15_armel.deb
dt-init-scripts_1.0.1-2_all.deb
mini-rc_0.2.11-1_all.deb
gconf2_2.16.0-1osso15_armel.deb
ramzswap-dt_0.5.5-4_armel.deb
kernel-dt-sd_2.6.21-2_all.deb
sysvinit_2.85-22.osso15-dt1_armel.deb

I'm actually surprised you haven't run into any issue because of kernel modules.
Well, apparently there's no problem with that, there's a handful of modules loaded: ramzswap, xvmalloc, g_file_storage, nfs, lockd, sunrpc, cx3110x, umac, omap_rng, rng_core. I'm really suprised about the nfs modules (they come from the kernel-diablo-modules-extra package that I didn't even remember I had installed).
Anyway, I compared with cmp the modules in the package (in /usr/share/Diablo-Turbo/initfs/modules/) with the modules in initfs and they are the same (save for pc2400m.ko, which isn't present in initfs).

The real problem is, what do I do now? Install the latest package as is or do I have some cleanup to do?

Originally Posted by Straycat View Post
Now another question, did you know how can I enable the a2dp profile on the device??
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=13468

Tags
chinook, diablo, new life, os2008