By luck, I came into (mentioned earlier, in this thread) instructions on how to use Easy Debian's Totem Player with hardware acceleration (gstreamer based) = side-attack on our goal to utilize DSP:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=2215

The obvious question is - does Totem Player allow specifying another alsa device as output? Haven't checked yet...

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Any news about redirecting sound through pulseaudio ?
I will buy nuforce udac2 if n900 can use it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to n900_ For This Useful Post:
Not that I know of, sorry.

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 132 | Thanked: 148 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Tallinn, Estonia
Is this goal achievable on Harmattan devices?

The Following User Says Thank You to lkravovicz For This Useful Post:
Any advancements?!??

If this is at all possible or anybody has a friend with a dac could they try it.

I also had a thought if there was a way to pipe the sound through Bluetooth too a receiver that's linked to an dac/amp?

ie: Google and found.. http://vampeo.com/vampeo-v1/ a unit like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to stonebuilt For This Useful Post:
Funny that this old thread of mine should pop up today... I have been working on this goal all weekend, and have finally made some progress.

Not on the N900, unfortunately: we never got anywhere AFAIK, and my own device doesn't work any more (dead digitizer)...

So I switched to a Raspberry Pi, which is a lot better documented and more open. It's also going to be a lot bigger, yes, but at least it works without black magic.

I'm using just ALSA for sound, MOC for the player engine, and Python for the custom mobile interface and handling the peripherals.

Right now I have MOC playing music from the Pi to my desktop USB DAC, displaying info on an external LCD, and taking basic orders from the first button I've rigged up (I'm waiting for extra wires and connectors, so I have to make do with recycled bits 'n pieces in the meantime :-)

You can see a video of the prototype in action here :
http://vimeo.com/user3067652/dapi

Not bad for two day's hacking, compared to two years of nothing happening here :-)

Last edited by fpp; 2014-02-02 at 20:46.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Funny that you mention a raspberry pi...

Im about to build one /beaglebone maybe , didn't really have a purpose for it, just a toy.

Never even occurred to me to use it as an audio device, but with a batterypack and all i guess it'd work great...

Now i need to figure out a way to get a raspberry pi and a dac/amp into an Altoids tin..and then use bluetooth to control it all. I doubt im going to get any work done this week.

thanks fpp.

The Following User Says Thank You to stonebuilt For This Useful Post:
You're welcome :-)
When you find something nice and simple for the bluetooth remote please post it here or MP me !
Good luck...

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Australia
aww. to be honest this thread was one of the things that sold me on the n900. I wanted a decent flexible (non user-friendly) phone that I can primarily use as a media player (and day to day phone). I thought this project would one day actually happen. I guess the sub par analog out of the n900 will forever be the bottleneck (linage: n900>Fii0 E07K>sennHD598s) for my morning walk listening experiences xP

Last edited by toastncoffeh; 2014-02-04 at 08:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to toastncoffeh For This Useful Post:
But, frankly, this project happened already! I've already tested and confirmed, that using ALSA output from smplayer (front-end for mplayer) - or, for the matter, mplayer itself or any other front-end that makes use of audio output possibilities of mplayer - works like a charm for this purpose.

Of course, integrating it with standard Maemo system-wide sound (via pulseaudio) would be best - and, using MAFW& friends for decoding some things could save *some* batter power (although, it's mostly a myth, the difference is negligible, in practice) - but, frankly, if you're using USB DAC, the current for decoding is the least important part of your battery-drainage problems.

Anyway, USB audio output (as per title) works OK.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
h-e-n, usb audio