Active Topics

Edit: 5th July 2011
Everything posted in this thread to date is now on the wiki, I think.

If anyone else has a card that's not listed and you think worth a mention (either for good or bad), please add it to the wiki page. And, if possible stick a more wordy comment about it on this thread.
goto: Post25;

Hope it's of some use...
-----------------------------------
Original:

Hello

Almost all of us use a memory card in our devices, right? I'm looking for a replacement. I had a look through the wiki and it turned up vrtually nothing. There were a few TMO threads but everything was all quite disjointed, it's quite hard to extract information from multiple places. So I added a bit to the N900 Accessories page of the wiki.

Please post here (or directly on the wiki page) about your card. I will have a trawl through this thread in a few weeks in attempt to fill out the tables on that wiki page. My aim is to get a good general picture of what's good and what's rubbish, in the way of memory cards. No promises to put every nuanced card on there.
- I just put mine on to put something in the table; it will probably come off when there's a decent list.

Please make you post brief so it can be collated easily.
Info required

If your card performs to expectation, for Good cards:
Size, Class, Brand/Mfr, Vendor, Country, Date Bought (Approx)

Or, if you've had an unfortumate time, for Bad cards:
Size, Class, Brand/Mfr, Problem

I am particularly interested to know about fast, high-capacity cards (i.e. class 10/UHS & 32GB). It seems like there have been some epic wins and melt downs in this area. These cards cost from 65GBP so it's probably info we should all share.

Maybe there's a uniform test that could be applied - say time transfering EasyDebian's compressed file to/from? Just a thought.

If there are any howlers in that wiki section, by all means address them yourself or post the error here for me to alter in due course. NB. I have had no influence over the top few sections.

- as many may notice, despite being a poll-worthy question I think we're all a little fed up with such things at the moment!

Thank you very much in advance for all your help...

Last edited by demolition; 2011-07-05 at 15:03.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
All the cards I've run into from whatever brand have seemed pretty good to me. I'm too lazy to go into more detail, but they hane ranged from 32 GB down.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
All the cards I've run into from whatever brand have seemed pretty good to me. I'm too lazy to go into more detail, but they hane ranged from 32 GB down.
Not sure how to receive that, especially the 2nd sentence?

What class were these cards, if I can coerce you to type? Most grateful to know about the 32GB ones, in particular.

I got a 32gb sandisk from verizon about a year ago. I paid $99. Works great.

The Following User Says Thank You to deegore For This Useful Post:
Lx patriot cards suck so much a55 it is not funny. i have had 2 16GB LX patriot cards suddenly die without warning taking all my photos with them. They claim to be class 10, and for R/W large files they do perform in that range however for everything else they are sh|t3. I can only assume they have used some kind of hax trickery to achieve the numbers they advertise at the cost of stability and quality.

tl;dr, LX patriot uSD are worthless.

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Not sure how to receive that, especially the 2nd sentence?

What class were these cards, if I can coerce you to type? Most grateful to know about the 32GB ones, in particular.
The old one is Class 2 and is from Sandisk. The new one is Class 10 and is from Komputerbay. I have only been using the new one for a week.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
For 32GB cards, I have used the said Class 2 from Sandisk. I recently upgraded to a Class 10 from Lexar. Both are reliable.

As many others have observed, Sandisk is very conservative and by the book about their card classifications--the class 2 actually performs more like a class 4 in terms of write speed. If you can get a deep discount on the price, it's a great value...

The Lexar write speeds are as advertised. No problems with it so far...

The Following User Says Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Thanks, keep'em coming...

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Lx patriot cards suck so much a55 it is not funny. i have had 2 16GB LX patriot cards suddenly die without warning taking all my photos with them. They claim to be class 10, and for R/W large files they do perform in that range however for everything else they are sh|t3. I can only assume they have used some kind of hax trickery to achieve the numbers they advertise at the cost of stability and quality.

tl;dr, LX patriot uSD are worthless.
Whilst feisty and advising against a given brand, this sort of information is what I'm looking for. Really useful so others don't get had by brands that appear good but turn out duff. Sorry you had to experience it - hope you were able to get a refund!

@geneven, thanks for follow up. All data is worthwhile..

Last edited by demolition; 2011-06-03 at 11:50.

Actually we don't know if they are conservative or not, because class rating specifies minimum speed under a specific set of circumstances and access patterns.

The card can perform better in other access patterns and circumstances, or worse.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
Actually we don't know if they are conservative or not, because class rating specifies minimum speed under a specific set of circumstances and access patterns.

The card can perform better in other access patterns and circumstances, or worse.
Worth noting, thank you. But as some people have found, there are cards that work fine and as expected for a while then take a nose-dive, as well as those that continue to be good for years.