Active Topics

Any thoughts onthe MIUTech HDPC (x86 & ARM ) phone?

You get a full QWERTY, a 4.8-inch 1024 x 600 touchscreen and Intel Atom 1.6GHz Z530 processor

http://www.slashgear.com/miutech-hdp...specs-2153215/
Attached Images

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Vaporware Vaporware

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
If such device really existed, I think the battery life would be ~1 hour at most.

I've researched it heavily, but I have yet to find any place on the web selling it.

I hope it doesn't become Vaporware. It would be a great upgrade to the n900.

Does anyone know if its available anywhere?

This article explains a lot...

http://www.pocketables.net/2009/01/n...-miu-hdpc.html

"I've been in touch with the Sales Director of MIU Technology about the redesigned HDPC recently and have received some new information that should be shared.

When released, the Hybrid Dual Portable Computer will be offered in two versions: a $500 basic model and a $900 premium model that includes GPS and dictionary functions in addition to the standard wireless connectivity options, dual operating systems (Windows XP and CE), and mobile phone capabilities. Though the basic model won't be as well equipped out of the box, extra features can be added by way of some sort of SIM-like card and application download.

With product development finalized, prices set, and plans for a global launch in place, it would seem that the HDPC is just about ready for release. And according to the Sales Director, the device can go into mass production just as soon as MIU completes the 100 sets of samples needed to fulfill requests from customers and companies all around the world.

The problem? Cash.

MIU is in dire need of funding. Though they've received oral contracts from LG Telecom, government-related firms, and other companies and have also chatted with Samsung and SKT, the production line still isn't moving. So desperate is their situation, in fact, that MIU would even consider moving to another country (the Sales Director mentioned the US and Finland) if a major investor could help them.

About $500K is needed to complete the sample units, so if you or someone you know wants to help, believe me when I say that MIU is all ears."

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think a conventional brick looks aesthetically more pleasing than that
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
They've been talking about this device for a long while. And, I'm pretty sure there are older threads on here about it.

If they changed it to Android + (Ubuntu NBR? Moblin/Meego?), or even just ditched the 2nd processor for an ARM only Android device, I'd be interested (or Maemo/Meego). Use the saved space for more battery.

WinCE is certainly a joke, but if it's used ONLY for the phone part I would be a okay with it...

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I don't see any reason to choose WindowsCE (or, more properly, WindowsMobile) over Android ... unless you're a windo-phile.

Personally I wouldn't have any use for Windows in my pocket but the last 4 months with the N900 definitely have me longing for a hand-held device with enough power to run Ubuntu fluidly.