Notices

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Just as you could run Windows Mobile apps on the N900 - if someone spent 10 years working on an API compatibility layer.

Granted, the iPhone should be simpler as a lot of the core OS is the same and many bits which the iPhone relies on are open source. However it would still likely take years of hard work to fully emulate and by then Apple will have changed so much.

People need to remember, just because something CAN be done, doesn't mean it can be done in a time frame that is useful. It also doesn't mean they wouldn't get sued to death long before it reached usability status. It doesn't even matter if it was proved to be legal, you would need the money for court costs to fight it and it would take money/time away from the project itself.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alex Atkin UK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 62 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ France
Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
Just as you could run Windows Mobile apps on the N900 - if someone spent 10 years working on an API compatibility layer.
WineARM ? Nice idea !

Indeed, it's not because something is possible that is will be done
If someone here wants a specific piece of software, you should learn programming and make it yourself.

That said, I also think that there are too few apps on the N900. I hope Ovi Sotre's opening will fix this.

Originally Posted by kalim13 View Post
Do you have to register somewhere to be a Betatester?

since i have purchased the N900 i have tried to obtain apps from Extras-testing but it has failed everytime.

the error i get is

http://repository.maemo.org/extras-t...armel/Packages 404 Not found [IP.92.123.153.49 80]

http://repository.maemo.org/extras-t...armel/Packages 404 Not found [IP.92.123.153.49 80]

any ideas how to resolve. i would really like to test new applications, since MfE is not working i'm not really doing much with the phone.
fremantle not freemantle

The Following User Says Thank You to JosefA For This Useful Post:
How about limewire for n900!!

Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post

Granted, the iPhone should be simpler as a lot of the core OS is the same and many bits which the iPhone relies on are open source. However it would still likely take years of hard work to fully emulate and by then Apple will have changed so much.

People need to remember, just because something CAN be done, doesn't mean it can be done in a time frame that is useful. It also doesn't mean they wouldn't get sued to death long before it reached usability status. It doesn't even matter if it was proved to be legal, you would need the money for court costs to fight it and it would take money/time away from the project itself.
not necessarily you dont c everyone taken to court because they have an iphone thats jailbroken so you could think of it as the n900 being jailbroken.

Plus i dont see why it should take years because if you tke the iphones firmware to the n900 all you need to do is get the n900 to read it and accept it a kind of middle man application

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Aweb View Post
That said, I also think that there are too few apps on the N900. I hope Ovi Sotre's opening will fix this.
I have seen a lot of people complaining about the lack of apps, did you guys already realized that all of these apps are free, and we are (the community) working for free in our spare time for you guys.
I think you guys should respect and give more value to this effort, but if you guys like to paid for apps fine, the OVI store is coming anyway

As said earlier you can help here, testing the apps in the extras-testing repository, there's more than 70 apps there, waiting for you

Last edited by VDVsx; 2009-12-14 at 00:52. Reason: typo

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 62 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ France
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
I have seen a lot of people complaining about the lack of apps, did you guys already realized that all of this apps are free, and we in the community are working for free in our spare time for you guys.
I think you guys should respect and give more value to this effort, but if you guys like to paid for apps fine, the OVI store is coming anyway

As said earlier you can help here, testing the apps in the extras-testing repository, there's more than 70 apps there, waiting for you
Of course I appreciate the dev's work (beign one myself in my free time - not yet on Maemo), but the fact is that most of the apps are just ports, not new apps, and I think Ovi Store would give us access to many more new apps (I don't care paying for an app if it is good, I think it's normal to pay for a developper's work).

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
I have seen a lot of people complaining about the lack of apps, did you guys already realized that all of this apps are free, and we in the community are working for free in our spare time for you guys.

Wish I could give more than one 'thanks' per post

I, for one, am deeply thankful (and just a little amazed) at people giving their time and skills to create apps, designs and increased functionality.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Europe
@kalim13:
can you give output/screenshot (ctrl+shift+p) of your application-manager dialog for extras-testing-repository

in many posts here there was some mis-spelled character or word

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
@Footballdt23: If it's so easy, why don't you do it? You'd be a hero to a lot of people here. And if you're not worried about getting sued, I'm sure you could sell it and make a nice little lump of cash.

-John

Tags
applications, apps, fart apps, free apps, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, more apps, ovi, ovi store, pay apps, software