Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Any of you N900 users, or anyone who used to use the N900... have you found a tablet that you feel compliments the functionality of the N900?

My N900 is about to go in for warranty work and I have a feeling it will just get replaced with the N8 or E7, I doubt I will keep either and will just go out and locate a very basic dumbphone with a strong antenna. I have gotten damn near addicted to being able to do server administration on both Windows (RDP) and *nix boxes (both redhat and solaris via SSH) while on my N900 at work, so I am hoping to be able to replace the N900 and not have to lug around my work laptop. I work in a large data center and clock in about 4mi a day on the pedometer widget, so carrying around a laptop has just not worked.

I'm shopping for a possible tablet option, but I wanted to see if anyone has used a tablet that they would endorse, or if they disliked a tablet, why?

I can't recommend you a suitable tablet, and I don't know if availability in the US is as wide as it is in the UK - but I can be fairly sure you can buy another N900 outright for less than you'll spend on a tablet, it's an option worth considering.

I just bought one almost new for £135 (GBP), which is barely over 1/4 of the launch price of £499, the plan being to use the new one whilst I repair the old one, and swap over as needed. You know you can sell whatever they give you in exchange and you know why you want an N900 - I know what I'd do.

Agreed, there is no such tablet/phone as N900, really. Unless You like to play with Android, which I doubt

Anyway, I bought my N900 in ideal condition (screen protector from beginning, never overclocked, even custom kernel never flashed) for less than 150$. I'm sure it's perfectly doable even now.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

I'm using the Acer W500. It's basically a notebook, but the "screen" actually contains the CPU/GPU and is detachable, so it becomes a tablet.

First thing I did was to replace Windows7 with Ubuntu and tweaked it to be touch friendly (using lots of inspiration from Maemo). I'd say it fits well with my N900, as both can use very much of the same programs, tools and scripts. After putting on a real OS I really like it now

That being said, If you're doing a lot of SSH-ing I'm not sure if the onscreen keyboard of tablets would cut it; I'd always take the W500's keyboard along (which doubles as a protector for the screen), but then it would basically be a notebook (~ 1kg).

If your priority is getting something light-weight and you can cope with an onscreen keyboard and a non-desktop non-open OS maybe it's worth waiting for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 - about half the weight of the iPad2, yet higher screen resolution.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy my N900, it has served me well and I really liked being able to dual boot into NITDroid (games are way more fun on that OS), but I've been finding myself wanting larger real estate when doing admin work on the growing number of windows servers. I know, don't remind me, I don't sell the servers to folks, just doing admin work. If we could just stick with the linux/solaris boxes it would be grand but...

Thus why I may just look for a basic phone and get a tablet or something along those lines.