just turn on ur wmp11 on ur computer and share it on the network.

Originally Posted by God View Post
Omg wow! Wow! Wow! Wtfbbqsawce?!
When we have posters with Narcissistic Personality Disorders why do we need any discussions at all..

Thanks for the mini-review. I appreciate getting different people's perspectives of the same things (size of the device, keyboard, phone application, etc.). I feel like I can average the many perspectives out in my head and get a better sense of the device, before I possibly buy it.

One follow up question. You say:

Originally Posted by RTbar View Post
-Improve the icon quality, and allow the option for the name of the app to be displayed along side the icon when placed on the desktop.

- UI could be more polished, I guess that it a person preference though....
What do you not like about the icon quality and the UI?

From the screen shots I've seen it reminds me a lot of the Gnome desktop, from which the sensibility of the Hildon interface for Maemo is in a sense derived (Hildon is a project of Gnome, the most used desktop in Linux--for those who don't know). One of the things I like about Gnome is that the Icons and UI, to me, are not over designed. They look pleasing, but simple and functional. To me this is in contrast to all the other current major desktops, for computers (Windows, OS X, and KDE-- KDE is the other major Linux desktop). To me Windows, OS X, and KDE have all gone in a design direction that is too flashy, too dominated by useless animations, and prefers very cartoony icons. I find this distracting and more about eye candy than function; often giving only the semblance of user-friendliness, without actually being user-friendly. It can be cool at first, but for me becomes annoying quickly.

As you say, it's a matter of personal preference, but I sort of dread what a more "polished" Maemo might mean. So I'd just be curious if you could elaborate more on what you didn't like about the icons and UI in this respect. Thanks.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
Yep, I can type that by keying in:
~<space>user

Edit...
By this I mean entering the "~" character on the symbol OSK.
OK, Gotcha! I see why they do that now. I didn't think one key wouldn't work. Thanx!

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Links to files, please!

(EDIT: 'cause I'd like to be another dude running some of your Python apps)
They're just usable prototypes. Personal editions, really. And when I say personal, I mean personal: Quirks that only a parent could love. But I'm planning on folding some of the more interesting tid bits back into other projects. Midori and maybe Tear, for instance. I'd rather just improve what we already have, with splintering being a last resort.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by qole View Post
See this thread for XTerm customisation tips.

See this thread for re-mapping the keyboard.
The Xterm stuff, NICE! Thanx!

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Threads merged.

Originally Posted by cb474 View Post
Thanks for the mini-review. I appreciate getting different people's perspectives of the same things (size of the device, keyboard, phone application, etc.). I feel like I can average the many perspectives out in my head and get a better sense of the device, before I possibly buy it.

One follow up question. You say:

What do you not like about the icon quality and the UI?

From the screen shots I've seen it reminds me a lot of the Gnome desktop, from which the sensibility of the Hildon interface for Maemo is in a sense derived (Hildon is a project of Gnome, the most used desktop in Linux--for those who don't know). One of the things I like about Gnome is that the Icons and UI, to me, are not over designed. They look pleasing, but simple and functional. To me this is in contrast to all the other current major desktops, for computers (Windows, OS X, and KDE-- KDE is the other major Linux desktop). To me Windows, OS X, and KDE have all gone in a design direction that is too flashy, too dominated by useless animations, and prefers very cartoony icons. I find this distracting and more about eye candy than function; often giving only the semblance of user-friendliness, without actually being user-friendly. It can be cool at first, but for me becomes annoying quickly.

As you say, it's a matter of personal preference, but I sort of dread what a more "polished" Maemo might mean. So I'd just be curious if you could elaborate more on what you didn't like about the icons and UI in this respect. Thanks.
I guess they just seem too dull for me, I prefer more eye candy I guess... some XDA roms for the TP2 look great, and I also like the android UI. It just seems a little boring to me, though I'm not familiar with Gnome so those who are might like it better than I

well here it goes...first impressions.
I have been using this device since last night and i think i have a good idea of the phone.

Just for reference I am coming from the G1 so i will probably compare it to that a couple of times.
HARDWARE:
First off the deice is beautiful.
I have spent a lot of time just looking at the device.
Buttons are solid and have good travel.
The keyboard took awhile to get used to but after you use it foir awhile it is very comfortable.(I have big hamds for reference)
The slider mechanism is solid and snaps into place. I like how there is no spring mechanism because those wear out.
The camera slider slides smoothly and does not touch or rub on the lens or on anything else.

SIZE.
Again remember i have big hands so it could vary.
The device is a perfect size for me. It fits well in my hand. Also it has some heft to it and i like that. Makes you feel like you are holding a 600 dollar device. I think it fits better in my pocket than my G1. I like bigger devices soo, but i know bulky. Sidekick lx 2009 ks bulky and this is no whernear tha size.

SCREEN:
Im coming from a capacitive so here it is.
The screen is far superior to any resistive screens I have ever used. It only needs slight pressure for it to respond. I have no complaints with the screen and that was my main worry. I have fallen in love with the stylus.
Oh man, i havent mentioned how stunning it iswhen it is on. Videos have great color and dark blacks.
The size of the screen is perfect, not too big, not too small.

SOFTWARE
First off it is very polished OS. After about an hour I got a hang of the menus. After i got familiar with it, i loved it. I was a big Android fan and I have completly forgot about it. Settings are easy to access and are finger friendly. Broswer is amazing. Sometimes it takes a little long to load but when it does it looks just like it does on a desktop. MULTITASKING is the maun reason why i spent so much money on this device and it has not dissapointed.
One thing I really miss is portrate mode. But, the positives outweigh the negatives in software.

SPEED
Its Fast, Talladega Fast. Lol
on a serious note it is a huge jump in performance from my G1.UI is snappy and responsive.

Man im getting tired....
over all i am very pleased with the device and I cant wait for future updates.

Last edited by ArmandHammer; 2009-12-03 at 04:59.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArmandHammer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
I question how useful a car crash app is that you need to press save in order to have it save. Not sure there is going to be a lot of time during a crash.

On another note - don't hijack threads.
Dear Bratag,

I do not belong here and do not want to hijack your thread, but I saw your reply and felt I have to add a small remark with your permission.

I would like to mention that in BeMeBlackBox you do NOT have to press "Save" if you crash. The file save is triggered by the accelerometer, when you can configure the trigger G force.
The YouTube upload is a one-click operation.

Best regards,

Ari

Tags
first impressions, fremantle, impressions, initial impressions, maemo, maemo 5, moderator, n900, out of box, out of box experience, please merge, review, shiny