Posts: 30 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Flint MI
I have done several searches and followed two different set of instructions and both have ended in scratchbox giving me an error. I have a PC running Ubuntu 8.4 I would like to load scratchbox, the SDK and Python on it to do Python development for an N770 loaded with os2006. Perhaps I don't need scratchbox or the SDK but I would like to see how the app will look before I port it to the Nokia. Although I am new to the Linux world I have been developing database and accounting software for the Windows world for over ten years. I would like to get a answers and help.
1. To do what I am describing, do I need scratchbox?
2. Do I need the SDK?
3. where can I get step by step instructions using currently available versions of the tarballs?
4. Should I be using the debian files rather than tarballs?
5. Should I be using a different flavor of Linux? I have another partition on my Linux box just in case.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Santa Matt

All the valid information about the Scratchbox and the SDK for the OS 2006 can be found in this Tutorial and this brief Overview. You should use the Scratchbox environment to build the packages and it is reasonable to use it for testing. But I would suggest to get used a bit to the environment by following the instructions in the tutorial.

Another useful link for you could be the PyMaemo and its tutorial, which mentions as well how to test python application in the scratchbox environment.

Finally regarding to the error you have with the scratchbox it would be nice to give some further details about it. In general Ubuntu is a good choice. But you could also have a look here to use a VMWare image with the right version (I think only the 0.1 version of the image supports the OS you needed). If you need further information post it

Daniel

The Following User Says Thank You to danielwilms For This Useful Post:
To set up Scratchbox I used these files and these commands as root:
root@Ubuntu:/# tar -zxf /home/matthowe/Desktop/scratchbox-core-1.0.7-i386.tar.gz
root@Ubuntu:/# tar -zxf /home/matthowe/Desktop/scratchbox-libs-1.0.7-i386.tar.gz
root@Ubuntu:/# tar -zxf /home/matthowe/Desktop/scratchbox-devkit-debian-1.0.7.1-i386.tar.gz
root@Ubuntu:/# tar -zxf /home/matthowe/Desktop/scratchbox-toolchain-arm-gcc3.4-uclibc0.9.28-1.0.4-i386.tar.gz
root@Ubuntu:/# tar -zxf /home/matthowe/Desktop/scratchbox-toolchain-i686-linux-ct4.1.0-2.3.6tls-1.0.4-i386.tar.gz
root@Ubuntu:/# tar -zxf /home/matthowe/Desktop/scratchbox-toolchain-cs2005q3.2-glibc2.5-i386-1.0.7-i386.tar.gz
root@Ubuntu:/# /scratchbox/run_me_first.sh
Do you want to use sudo mode? [yes/no] (no):
Give the name of the scratchbox group (sbox):
Stopping Scratchbox: umount, binfmt_misc.
Starting Scratchbox: binfmt_misc, mount.

I also sdded the user matthowe to the group sbox (that terminal session got closed).

Then in a terminal as user matthowe I did this and got these returns:
matthowe@Ubuntu:~$ /scratchbox/login
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: rtld.c: 1192: dl_main: Assertion `(void *) ph->p_vaddr == _rtld_local._dl_sysinfo_dso' failed!

You dont have active target in scratchbox chroot.
Please create one by running "sb-menu" before continuing

Welcome to Scratchbox, the cross-compilation toolkit!

Use 'sb-menu' to change your compilation target.
See /scratchbox/doc/ for documentation.

Inconsistency detected by ld.so: rtld.c: 1192: dl_main: Assertion `(void *) ph->p_vaddr == _rtld_local._dl_sysinfo_dso' failed!
matthowe@Ubuntu:~$

I had Ubuntu set up as a VM machine using the Sun VMware but I acquired a broken machine which I repaired and decided it was time to build a proper Linux box. So I partitioned the drive and put Ubuntu in the first partition. I may put a different flavor of Linux in the second partition, I haven't decided yet.

I will go and follow the instructions you suggest and see where I get to. I was a bit frustrated the other night but I am back in exploring mode again and a bit eager to learn new things. Thanks for your help.

Santa Matt

Well I tried that and ended up with the same error. I am really getting discouraged in this whole Linux thing. So far I have spent like 12 hours to accomplish nothing! When I installed VB on my WinXP box it took about 30 minutes and ran perfectly from the get go. Is there any better way to do this? Or should I just scrap the idea of ever developing on the Nokia platform and go back to my windows?

Santa Matt

Hi,

found one discussion about that and the following was proposed there. There was no additional entry if it worked or not, but perhaps it is worth a try. Otherwise you could try directly the VMWare image I mentioned above.

Daniel

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
VDSO enabled maybe ? In the doc it says that you have to disable it.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...d.php?p=171693

Originally Posted by free View Post
VDSO enabled maybe ? In the doc it says that you have to disable it.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...d.php?p=171693
Thanks!! That was the problem. I have scratchbox installed and the i386 and armel rootstraps. Now I have to get Python in. I started that but the repositories are not correct in the sources.list file. I am going to need to research the repository for bora for a 770 running OS2007 correct? I know they just changed the repositories a couple of months ago so I'll have to look on the wiki I think.

Anyway, my cause is advanced a bit further.

Santa Matt

Tags
cross compile, python, scratchbox, sdk, ubuntu