Notices

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
For righties, roundabouts make drastically more sense when driving left.
I was completely enjoying roundabouts in the uk, i drove a magic one also.
In right driving countries, roundabouts are an alien thing because you have to give way for the people already in the roundabout. But that actually means giving way for people coming from the left hand side which is the only occasion for such behaviour in righty road traffic afaik.

In lefty traffic, roundabouts just feel natural, at least for drivers used to right-lane traffic
I hope this made explanatory sense

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by smatkovi View Post
i have one suggestion for the night mode to change the color of the text like speed and accuracy to white, because it is not visible then in night mode
There is a corresponding issue open WhoGo Maps github (a while ago). I suggest to check the issues once in a while.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
What is that big blue circle? The small one with the beak and a dot in the middle is my position, but the other one...?

Name:  Screenshot_20180407_001.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  21.8 KB

Another thing, my voice stopped working again. Two things happened that I am aware of. OSM Scout Server received an update and I downloaded a few new maps. The voice navigation is tuned on in settings.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
The blue circle is a marker. You can make a marker if you do a long tap on the map. After setting a marker you can use it for different things, by tapping on it:
  • Navigate to this point
  • look up whats around
  • and share this position via sms or mail or copy it to clipboard.

Can't help you with your voice problem. For me it works reliable.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Another thing, my voice stopped working again. Two things happened that I am aware of. OSM Scout Server received an update and I downloaded a few new maps. The voice navigation is tuned on in settings.
These recent changes should not interfere with the voice. Try to run WhoGo maps in command line

Code:
sailfish-qml harbour-whogo-maps
and see if there are some errors printed.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
@pichlo,
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
[...] and see if there are some errors printed.
Also take a look at Poor Maps issue #69, "TTS is not working stable", which affects WhoGo Maps, too.
Please report the TTS engine used and if your experiences differ from mine, there.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Would it be possible to add Google Maps as a routing provider? (I know they have restrictions, but perhaps if WhoGo required you to enter your own API key?)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Would it be possible to add Google Maps as a routing provider? (I know they have restrictions, but perhaps if WhoGo required you to enter your own API key?)
I don't see myself shipping something that's clearly against the terms of the service provider, no weasel technicalities will convince me otherwise. The provider plugin system and dynamic programming language in WhoGo maps though do exist exactly on purpose and of course allow anyone to quietly on their own do whatever they want.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
I've just tried the app on Jolla 1, it improved a lot and I really like the vector based maps. Is it possible to add the function or rotating the map with 2 fingers? I find it useful.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Another thing, my voice stopped working again.
Sorry, I was away for a while without a chance to play with it. I tried again and voice worked fine. So it may have been a user error. I remember I was trying to confuse the system by navigating the wrong way etc. I cleared the route, started again and everything works fine. It even found a foot route from a train station to a local attraction, both only referred to by names, not addresses.

I had some fun with routing though. I was trying to navigate to an address in a village near me. One that was clearly on the map. WhoGo found a route to a village with the same name about 500 km away. I had to resort to navigating to an "unnamed point", created by a long tap on the screen.

My suggestion would be to present a list if the address lookup comes up with multiple results.

Similarly, I was navigating to Kingston Bagpuize, but misspelled it as Bagpuise and found no results. I would expect the lookup to offer similarly looking alternatives. Even better, an instant lookup with suggesting alternatives as you type.

A last suggestion, can we have a feature to just look up addresses, without finding routes to them? There is a "nearby venues", but that is not quite the same thing. And it is limited to only up to 20 miles.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: