Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Helsinki
Hi,
I'm using a NAS with my N800. It used to work on chinook but now that I updated to diablo the share is seen in file manager and even the built in folders are seen (Lacie ED mini has three built in folders), but no folders or files are seen in them. The info screen shows all folders as 0 KB in size every time.

I know there's already been some threads on the unstability of the file managers share view. This is something different though as the problem persists.

I'd also like to here any comments on NAS use with the IT's even if its not Lacie. Are you able to stream video and audio without jittering on your IT? How do you use the shares etc.

Thanks.

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Hampshire, UK
I can see my NAS fine in Diablo, all files and contents are there.

I have a WD mybook world edition.

I dont stream audio or video so can't comment on that.

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Portugal
i have a Lacie NAS Home Edition and the UpNp works fine with Canola and i can see these files on the n800 file browser.
however i do not manage to mount the "MyBackup" directory using the Wizard mounter in n800. The program says the mount is ok, i can see the mount in shared folders but it shows no files.
Any hints are welcome. n800 with diablo.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vancouver, BC
Can you guys see the Public (or another "open") folder on LaCie NAS? Is the problem only for the folders for which you need credentials?

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
Can you guys see the Public (or another "open") folder on LaCie NAS? Is the problem only for the folders for which you need credentials?
i can see the public dives with upnp enabled. not the other public or private drives

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vancouver, BC
maybe it's the authentication issue then? I'm not sure if you can make File Manager login to NAS with certain credentials.

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
It's definitely an authentication issue. I've used a Fedora 9 install and Diablo browsers to do "side by side" comparisons of smb:/ mounts. Using Konquerer I get a pop-up for "authentication needed" volumes, which I can then provide credentials. Neither the file browser nor microb provide such a pop-up -- and you're locked into things available to "public".

I'd /strongly/ prefer to not open up "public" to my home directory, and have hacked a bit at /etc/samba/smb.conf a bit -- but without any file-sharing goodness. (In particular; even setting the smb.conf file to my proper workgroup results in loss of SMB visibility at all!). Fairly broken model -- and libsmbclient /does/ provide such hooks. Too bad that the file manager doesn't cope with authentication at all....

In general, even the Canola PNP model hasn't been great in getting access to my music and video volumes (regardless of various agents I've tried) -- and, frankly, I'd prefer something beyond just PNP support -- the constant downloading of file lists is a bit painful if you've got a large-ish collection ....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fattomm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Helsinki
This authentication issue must be the problem. But I seem to remember that I got Media Server to see all my NAS's (Lacie ED mini - home edition) mp3's and other files before updating to Diablo.

I think this really sucks as being able to use secure media servers on the tablet seems like a really practical idea.

Anyone still gotter older OS installed on their IT, that could verify whether they can log into their NAS?

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Yes, it is a credential problem.

I used to use the "share folders" in the past and once in a blue moon, i would encounter "no files no folders", but most of the time, it works.

I have now switched to winscp, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=23932, which reset the credentials, and now I see the "no files no folders" everytime I use the "share folder". Does anyone knows how to restore the tablet credential?

TIA,

bun

Tags
canola, file manager, nas, shares, streaming video