Notices

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by recyclebin View Post
What do I need to enter for pipe? I've tried various things, many of which kill xterm. Is there a list somewhere for the magic <> values to use with this toolbar? Like "KP_Enter" - apparently that's ENTER, but how do I know that?

Thank you for the help.
Well, a faster way to pipe is to press and hold " ! " key and move your stylus up and release in a quick motion. You can do this with all keys on the on screen keyboard for different actions. Try left and right motion as well. Enjoy

skibur = skybur != skeebur

"Life is too short to waste on sleep" - Johnny Cunningham

http://www.skibur.com

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Normaly I'd say "read the man page" however since we dont have man pages, heres the url http://linux.die.net/man/1/xterm Now the the harder part may be applyying this to the recently butchered version of xterm (if what we had before was the advanced version is this the ******ed one?)

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Originally Posted by skibur View Post
Well, a faster way to pipe is to press and hold " ! " key and move your stylus up and release in a quick motion. You can do this with all keys on the on screen keyboard for different actions. Try left and right motion as well. Enjoy

I'm guessing this is an n810 trick? On my n800 I get lotsa !!!!!!!!'s

Originally Posted by recyclebin View Post
What do I need to enter for pipe? I've tried various things, many of which kill xterm. Is there a list somewhere for the magic <> values to use with this toolbar? Like "KP_Enter" - apparently that's ENTER, but how do I know that?

Thank you for the help.
The value you need to enter is "bar" or "Bar" as I said in the previous message. You can see all supported values by looking at the xterm source code.

Originally Posted by ag2 View Post
The value you need to enter is "bar" or "Bar" as I said in the previous message. You can see all supported values by looking at the xterm source code.
To be more precise:

x-term:

Menu -> Tools -> Settings -> Toolbar shortcut -> New

Title: Bar
Value: bar

This will give you a new soft button that, when pressed, will print '|'

There are 1200+ characters for which you can create shortcuts -- things like umlauts, caps locks, and what not. Here is how to use them:

Look at this file:

http://olya.com/maemo/keysyms.c

The value you want to use in toolbar settings is the part after GDK_. So for a ')' you would use 'parenright'.

Hope this helps. Took me a while to figure this out.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ag2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skibur View Post

Not sure I follow. How is this faster than hitting a button in x-term's toolbar?

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Texas
Not sure I follow. How is this faster than hitting a button in x-term's toolbar?
I have N800 - OS2008. Not sure if N810 will work. I use " | " all the time. As far as being faster, its about the same. The good thing about the stylus motion trick is that you will not have to assign shortcuts to all your symbols. Press and hold a key and moving up your stylus (Note: Motion trick must be done under a second) will simulate a " shift " to the key you pressed.

Press & hold while moving " <direction> " then releasing:
UP = Shift
DOWN = Enter
RIGHT = Spacebar
LEFT = Backspace

I hope this helps.

"Life is too short to waste on sleep" - Johnny Cunningham

http://www.skibur.com

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
To be more precise:
There are 1200+ characters for which you can create shortcuts -- things like umlauts, caps locks, and what not. Here is how to use them:

Look at this file:

http://olya.com/maemo/keysyms.c

The value you want to use in toolbar settings is the part after GDK_. So for a ')' you would use 'parenright'.
This file doesn't work for all of the 1200+ listed characters. One of the characters listed is GDK_Home but putting Home into the value field of the shortcut doesn't send the cursor to the beginning of the line.

I'm wondering if there is any way to assign a command
to the toolbar?

It looks like you can't assign a string of characters though.

One trick is to put an alias in .bashrc. I have "s" aliased
to "ssh -X user@othercomputer" and then the string
"s KP_Enter" gives a toolbar button that generates my
ssh command ...

But good old user does not have a .bashrc file so I can't use
this trick for the "sudo login root" command.

(I tried making a .bashrc file in /home/user but it had no
effect - don't know why)

So, is there any way to assign commands to the toolbar?

Originally Posted by albright View Post
So, is there any way to assign commands to the toolbar?
Commas between characters works, but that's lame and there's likely a better way

Example:
"d,a,t,e KP_Enter"

The Following User Says Thank You to dblank For This Useful Post: