Active Topics

This update looks interesting to me!

We have lift-off! Big thanks to all our backers for your support.

We have a big announcement to make.

Since we have started our campaign, we have had numerous requests to open the source code of UnaOS. During the development of UnaOS we have always listened to advice from external testers, and we believe that our future users are the best to give us crucial advice - now and in the future. This is why we plan to open the source code of UnaOS in the future.

Also, we can assure you that every phone paid for in this campaign will be shipped. While we have set our campaign goal rather high - because we believe in privacy and the need for it - we have a very flexible plan with Elephone that allows us to order smaller or bigger numbers of phones. Of course, we would prefer a big number.

Please, continue to support us, and spread the word far and wide to make this campaign a success. We want to deliver you the best UnaOS experience!

Thank you.
The UnaOS Team

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
This is why we plan to open the source code of UnaOS in the future.
Sounds vaguely familiar, doesn't it?

Also, "open source" isn't all what's needed. Open protocols and the possibility to run your own servers, preferably in a federated way, are imo even more important.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post

Also, "open source" isn't all what's needed. Open protocols and the possibility to run your own servers, preferably in a federated way, are imo even more important.
Additionally, https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-...-point.en.html

The Following User Says Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post

You are right but maybe you could ask them about it?

Maybe this is what they mean with their statement and maybe not.

The Following User Says Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Hmm. USB-C? Fingerprint sensor?

An Android variant on which you cannot install anything rendering the device a dumb phone? In this case, why even bother with Android? Why not write a gui for BSD and run that instead? Oh, right, proprietary hardware drivers based on closed sores, the same issue Jolla has.

A locked bootloader so that you cannot remedy your mistake purchase and at least have a device you can play games on or use as car navigation?

Why the heck would anyone spend money on this unless they have no idea what real security is and want to feel good about their ignorance?

This is either brilliant marketing or a statement on how dumb most users are.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oenone For This Useful Post:
So what secure phone do you propose?

And don't write that security is not possible on a phone due to sim etc. - we all know that, we know about the closed source blobs, insecurity bla bla bla. We live in a world in which a phone is a standard tool so the bottom linen is:

What is your security pick?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
For me security would propably be something like TAILS on a mobile device.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
An amnesiac phone? Re-importing your contacts, reinstalling all applications, losing message history etc. etc., every time you boot doesn't sound like fun to me...

I'll stick with 'secure-ish' I think

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
What is your security pick?
No phone at all would be my only choice since you laid out a well thought out question.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by MikeHG View Post
Their site doesn't do anything unless I disable noscript.

Probably more a sign of the times than of hypocrisy, but still amusing if you're easily amused...
I see what you mean but I could read all relevant information even without allowing unaos.com in noscript.

https://unaos.com/

For me this looks like this company is planning some serious system administration work on Android. About time?

Networks and system integrators still get paid for selling just "another Windows" computer with enhanced security customization.

Why not pay for enhanced security if the job is well done?

Just out of interest, could the security experts here confirm that with a budget of ~USD 250 they can make any random Android phone secure on all levels this one Unaos claims to be secure? Short list of tools to install?

Not being into Android, I would possibly buy this if it does mostly everything I need out of the box. For that reason I still like my Symbian and my Maemo.

Edit: type error question : why not

Last edited by ste-phan; 2016-05-07 at 14:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post: