Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 143 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Stockholm, Sweden
There was a time not too long ago that I wondered why there are no "computers" with the ability to make phone calls just like a phone does. I thought: "It can't be that difficult. You just need to pop in a GSM card in a mini laptop and have an application that handles calls just like PC2Phone applications do." This was when I received my first Dell Pocket PC in 2004.

However, the thought passed by but came back again when the first netbooks started hitting the market. I wondered: Why is it so hard to just make these devices GSM enabled? They could come with a bluetooth headset or something for handling calls? Wouldn't that be perfect?

Last December, I had some money in hand and decided to buy a new device and started researching. For some strange reason, the N900 appealed to me much more than any other device around, despite its shortcomings and the Apple hype across the world.

A while ago, I realized that perhaps it appealed to me so much because it is the closest device to what I kept thinking of throughout those years that I have seen.

It really is a pity that the device suffers from sub-par software but I guess I like it because of the thought behind the device. Perhaps there are other people who like it for the same reason. Just wanted to share this with the rest of you and get your thoughts on the future of this device.

Qt should help things but will the N900 finally get its software refined any time soon? Applications will surely come with time but what about the built in applications like Modest that I assume are closed? It is one thing I REALLY want: quality e-mail access!

Whats the future like? How do you think things would be in lets say six months to a year?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shanrizvi For This Useful Post:
I'm very sure there is a "praise n900" thread somewhere. Just search for it

Originally Posted by shanrizvi View Post
Whats the future like? How do you think things would be in lets say six months to a year?
Ovi Store Update with full Angry Birds Game

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PradaBrada For This Useful Post:

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Personally I think the N900 was DOA

If Nokia had a shred of decency they would open source the N900 firmware and have an open development model. NO !!! instead they say No MeeGo for you !!!!

I'd guesstimate that >60% of posts in the last week are about BUGS !!!, lets be *honest* here, PR1.2 is an epic fail

This is all a result of Nokias *closed* development.

If the source code was available from Nokia, then *maybe* some of these horrendous bugs could actually be fixed, but NO Nokia won't truly open source, the N900 was sold on a lie.

If the N900 was fully open source, the possibilites would be endless..................but Nokia will never open source their buggy drivers, so what future has the N900 got ?.......cos im sure as hell not waiting for Nokia to fix their buggy crap.

Nokias management positions is now "Meego Full Steam Ahead", all dev resources are now diverted to MeeGo and the *sheer bloody beta quality* of PR1.2 should tell you this.........but *alot* of people on here *refuse* to accept the reality of the situation.

I have this bug on my phone that actually stings at night. Like WTF?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nosa101 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2010 @ Bridgend, South Wales, UK
I think things will get smaller and quicker, the introduction of foldable OLED screens will be a HUGE deal in the near future. Think about it, a tiny phone who's the screen folds out much larger than the phone it self. As for the N900, things can only get better. With the help of the good people here at Maemo.org we will see a huge increase of the ammount of programmes and useability of the N900. I hate the iphone and the apple bandwagon, it seeems the whole world has been hypnotised by apple's 'there's an app for that' slogan. All idiots. The sooner people realise they don't have to pay apple to get an app for splitting a restaurant bill the better. Anyway, back to the good old N900.
The N900 appeals to me because it's infinately expandable, updateable and moddable. I love the N900 because once you buy it, that's it, no more paying for useless apps that show you how to breath in and out, it's a hacker's phone, it's a modders phone and most importantly it's the free minded's phone. I bought the N900 because there's another way, the free way.

Originally Posted by GUYSTYLAZ View Post
I think things will get smaller and quicker, the introduction of foldable OLED screens will be a HUGE deal in the near future. Think about it, a tiny phone who's the screen folds out much larger than the phone it self. As for the N900, things can only get better. With the help of the good people here at Maemo.org we will see a huge increase of the ammount of programmes and useability of the N900. I hate the iphone and the apple bandwagon, it seeems the whole world has been hypnotised by apple's 'there's an app for that' slogan. All idiots. The sooner people realise they don't have to pay apple to get an app for splitting a restaurant bill the better. Anyway, back to the good old N900.
The N900 appeals to me because it's infinately expandable, updateable and moddable. I love the N900 because once you buy it, that's it, no more paying for useless apps that show you how to breath in and out, it's a hacker's phone, it's a modders phone and most importantly it's the free minded's phone. I bought the N900 because there's another way, the free way.
...until you run into the closed source drivers

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PradaBrada For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by GUYSTYLAZ View Post
"I hate the iphone and the apple bandwagon, it seeems the whole world has been hypnotised by apple's 'there's an app for that' slogan. All idiots."

Yes the *rest* of the world is insane.......its not you.....................really it isnt

"will see a huge increase of the ammount of programmes"....................programmes ??? hmmmm is IPlayer coming to the N900 ?????

"The sooner people realise they don't have to pay apple to get an app for splitting a restaurant bill the better"....................hmm I thought the N900 was all about *choice* ----------*IF* I wanted an app to split the bill, isnt it nice to have a *choice*, all the N900 has is hobsons choice.

"I love the N900 because once you buy it, that's it, no more paying for useless apps that show you how to breath in and out, it's a hacker's phone, it's a modders phone and most importantly it's the free minded's phone"

Well yeah, in fairness I bought into nokias "open" BS as well................

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2010-05-31 at 03:57.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2010 @ Bridgend, South Wales, UK
Originally Posted by garyc2010 View Post
"I hate the iphone and the apple bandwagon, it seeems the whole world has been hypnotised by apple's 'there's an app for that' slogan. All idiots."

Yes the *rest* of the world is insane.......its not you.....................really it isnt

"will see a huge increase of the ammount of programmes"....................programmes ??? hmmmm is IPlayer coming to the N900 ?????

"The sooner people realise they don't have to pay apple to get an app for splitting a restaurant bill the better"....................hmm I thought the N900 was all about *choice* ----------*IF* I wanted an app to split the bill, isnt it nice to have a *choice*, all the N900 has is hobsons choice.

"I love the N900 because once you buy it, that's it, no more paying for useless apps that show you how to breath in and out, it's a hacker's phone, it's a modders phone and most importantly it's the free minded's phone"

Well yeah, in fairness I bought into nokias "open" BS as well................
The snobbery of apple's followers has corrupted you my son.

hmmmm the iplayer is not the be all and end all of programmes.

all the N900 has is hobsons choice. For people with a brain installed there is avery clever "app" called a calculator, check it out, it will shock you.

Apple = pay the man, then let him **** your wife.
N900 = pay attention, the milkman cometh.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2010-05-31 at 03:58.

Closed Thread