Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by HRZ View Post
I'm only waiting for official apps/plugin for MSN/QQ. Or at least something stable.
The MSN plugin works fine for me... for a long time now... Sometimes I have a "network error" switching from GPRS to wifi, but I can get around that by setting my status to offline, then switching networks, then going back online.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Bugs files for Maemo 5 will likely be fixed into Maemo 6 as well as it's a evolution of Maemo 5.
If there's time. Hence the rushing. Or lack thereof IMO.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Well, they are still working on PR1.2, plenty of bug fixing going on if you ask me.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bulgaria
Guys,
I am very tired to wait will Nokia or will not do this or that.

I used to use E90, which hardware was perfect, but Nokia was thinking about future deviced and left E90. Now maybe it will happened with N900.

It is very strange how big company can not teach from his own mistakes.

I know that users of E90 and N900 in this case are making a very small marketshare for Nokia, but we are high-end users and we can help and make this devices better. And also we can help for making overal name of Nokia better as big innovative company.

Nokia, on the other hand is trying to save his overall market share with pushing cheep devices. Believe me, the decision-making prosses in cheap devise market is depending of the thing how is the look of the device and most of the people don1t give a s*** is there a OS, is it Symbian, Apple, WebOS or else. What I am trying to tell is that low end users`s decision to by a phone is not a logic process. So these people today can buy Nokia, tomorrow whey will use Samsung, the day after tomorrow - SonyEricsson, then iPhone, and so on.

The high end users are more dependent and trustful to the phone maker which they are using today. They were making a real investigation for most of the features of the device, possibility of future upgrade, also what is the competition serving. So present Nokia high end users if they are sattisfy from Nokia it is more likely to buy his next Nokia device.

I am tire of being a test user with my old E90 and now with my present N900.

I am really dissapointed from Nokia.
If nothing good is happened in next couple of years I am pretty sure that N900 will be my last Nokia device.

Regards.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
There's a post here somewhere with the todo-fixme list for Android. It's a s big as N900's. There is no escaping this, they all do that ever since the device can be flashed at home at no cost.

You can berate Nokia and move - see if I care - but if you think you'll be spared you are mistaken. Do you think we like it up the ? It's just that it's still up there no matter where you go. Except I like how the Nokia built the N900 more than I like the HD2, e.g.

I'm not a fanboy. Every time I scout for a new device I look all over. I saved money for the HD2 for 3 months before Nokia announced N900 and the hardware swayed me.

I'm a Windows developer, have been for years, ever since there was Windows and tools to develop. Don't you think I would have liked to write my own than to sit here begging for someone else's free time?

I chose this. You are free to choose whatever you want. Just don't switch over to find out you've been had - and with lost money on a swap. Look before you leap, that's all I'm saying. It's good advice.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
ndi,

You are right - we are jumping in new devices without knowleadge will they be develop or will not.

But as you know Nokia never tells their plans.
We are not a fortune-tellers and don`t know what will come. We just believe that when buy good device from world`s number one phone manufacturer ( still ) we will face same good attitude from him.

That`s all.

Regards.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
At risk of feeding some trolls here...

What Nokia do not seem to understand is the success of a platform/os is largely determined by what applications are available for it.

I'm not suggesting or in-fact agreeing with the original poster who started this thread.

Considering how many apps were available at launch was pretty impressive. When Goggle launched the Android platform a couple of years ago only a handful of apps were available at the time.

What I've just said seems to contradict my first paragraph but I Nokia need to take a long-term view of this.

If the next version of maemo is not compatible with the n900 then users and app developers are going to be p***** off with Nokia.

Why?
It means tweaking your developed app to run properly on the next version of maemo when you could be spending that time improving your app.

If maemo 6 will not run on the n900 and you are a current owner you will have to buy a new device and start your nice app collection from scratch.

If Nokia had any sense of the current smartphone market (and it's long-term future) Nokia would ensure that the maemo 6 platform will also run on the n900.

If Nokia cannot make maemo 6 backward-compatible and force n900 users to buy a new phone (the n900 here is £500ish) to benefit from the new apps then Nokia will be forced-out of the smartphone market entirely. Apple and Google will eat Nokia's dwindling marketshare instead.

I only bought my n900 in December last year. If Nokia want me to buy a new phone to get the latest version of maemo then I will simply go elsewhere.
If Nokia expect people to buy a £500 phone and 9-12 months later buy another phone at £500 then the management at Nokia are more ******ed than I thought.

If Nokia want to grow marketshare and remain as a big player in the mobile phone industry:
1) Ensure the previous phone can run the new updated os
2) Keep user and developers happy - user's library of applications will grow and allow user's to take the applications to the new phone too
3) This will attract more developers and more users to Nokia maemo-based devices
4) Third-party app developers may gain the confidence to charge users for apps if they wanted to. Nokia get revenue stream.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
No quick releases of anything!

Take the time to do it right first time round.

I would have waited longer for the n900 if it meant it would be a more stable device and "3" sim card support would have been included.

It would have also meant less intrusive maemo firmware update and more enhancement
Currently when you apply the maemo firmware update you cannot roll it back if you weren't happy with it. Apparently the "3" sim card support changes the firmware in the phone/modem hardware (you cannot change this back). If you restore the original maemo firmware you lose the ability to make phone calls as a result of this.

Relase when it is ready. Not by pressure from impatient users.

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
At risk of feeding some trolls here...

What Nokia do not seem to understand is the success of a platform/os is largely determined by what applications are available for it.

I'm not suggesting or in-fact agreeing with the original poster who started this thread.

Considering how many apps were available at launch was pretty impressive. When Goggle launched the Android platform a couple of years ago only a handful of apps were available at the time.

What I've just said seems to contradict my first paragraph but I Nokia need to take a long-term view of this.

If the next version of maemo is not compatible with the n900 then users and app developers are going to be p***** off with Nokia.

Why?
It means tweaking your developed app to run properly on the next version of maemo when you could be spending that time improving your app.

If maemo 6 will not run on the n900 and you are a current owner you will have to buy a new device and start your nice app collection from scratch.

If Nokia had any sense of the current smartphone market (and it's long-term future) Nokia would ensure that the maemo 6 platform will also run on the n900.

If Nokia cannot make maemo 6 backward-compatible and force n900 users to buy a new phone (the n900 here is £500ish) to benefit from the new apps then Nokia will be forced-out of the smartphone market entirely. Apple and Google will eat Nokia's dwindling marketshare instead.

I only bought my n900 in December last year. If Nokia want me to buy a new phone to get the latest version of maemo then I will simply go elsewhere.
If Nokia expect people to buy a £500 phone and 9-12 months later buy another phone at £500 then the management at Nokia are more ******ed than I thought.

If Nokia want to grow marketshare and remain as a big player in the mobile phone industry:
1) Ensure the previous phone can run the new updated os
2) Keep user and developers happy - user's library of applications will grow and allow user's to take the applications to the new phone too
3) This will attract more developers and more users to Nokia maemo-based devices
4) Third-party app developers may gain the confidence to charge users for apps if they wanted to. Nokia get revenue stream.
Couldn`t be more agree with you!
Regards.

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Well, let's see:

MMS - coming through the community (fMMS)
Personalised ringtones - coming via the community (tweakr)
Custom profiles - coming via the community (shepherd)
More games - coming via the community (sheep!!)

Rereading the first post it seems to me the problem the OP is having is with the rather empty shelves of the Ovi store, and not anything to do with n900 at all - "Loaded with apps"? But n900 was never advertised as having 'loads of apps' because it's a new platform. Of course, Maemo 6 will be back to square one mostly, for apps, except for those Maemo 5 app written in Qt and portable.
Interesting points, but they illustrate how personal the perception is when it comes to how complete a phone is. Custom profiles and ringtones are all Im missing at the moment. Like everyone else, I rushed to the Ovi store and downloaded lots as well as maemo downloads, but most of it I haven't kept as the browser is enough for me - that in my opinion is the one killer app for the n900 because it is just so good. My guess is that the n900 will never have 1000's of apps as they just aren't needed, yes there will be some great ones, but with conversations and the browser, there doesn't need to be that many as the phone already has alot of functionality buit in.
Now Im kicking myself for staying with Windows Mobile for so long - the n900 is a breath of fresh air..

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

The Following User Says Thank You to edgedemon For This Useful Post:

Tags
fremantle, future, harmattan, harmattan on n900, maemo, maemo 5, maemo 6, maemo 6 on n900, mysterious future, n900, n900 pr1.1, pr1.1, troll!, trolling, waiting, won't happen soon