I have Garnet VM installed and my farming apps working on my N900. These are mainly input recording forms for different bespoke PC databases.

I have a couple of problems:

Though the Palm apps work fine on the N900 I am having trouble syncing one of them because the device isnt recognised and associated with a user account. I have tried both creating a new account and using an existing account, but neither works. Below is a copy of my log with problem areas in bold. Another side issue from this non association is that my Outlook files perform a (long) recovery sync every time.
This problem does not occur with N810!!

HotSync operation started for Jimmy on 12/29/09 14:20:02

- Installed file: C:\Palm\Jimmy\backup\Graffiti_ShortCuts______.PRC
- Installed file: C:\Palm\Jimmy\backup\psysLaunchDB.PDB
- Installed file: C:\Palm\Jimmy\backup\Saved_Preferences.PRC
- Installed file: C:\Palm\Jimmy\backup\System_MIDI_Sounds.PDB
OK Restore
Datei SchlagdatenDB_Fepa auf dem Palm nicht vorhanden
OK Fepa with 1 message(s)

PDM v2 - Cannot get handheld user name
Outlook Date Book
- Recovery Sync
OK Outlook Date Book
Outlook Address Book
Recovery Sync
OK Outlook Address Book
Outlook To Do List
- Recovery Sync
OK Outlook To Do List
Outlook Memo Pad
- Recovery Sync
OK Outlook Memo Pad
Pendragon Forms (v.4.0, 4.0.1.18) synchronization started at 12/29/09 14:20:49
VFS unavailable on this device.
OK Pendragon Forms
-- Backing up SudokuAGsu to C:\Palm\Jimmy\Backup\SudokuAGsu.PRC
Backup synchronization failed

HotSync Error: Connection is lost (6410)

HotSync operation completed on 12/29/09 14:20:51

My other problem is I want to copy some databases from inside a palm application on an old device to the app on my N900 (The program referred to as Fepa in my log). In the past I have just beamed them from one palm to another using Beampro or Filez. I have tried looking for the Palm databases on my N900 using GPE File Manager, but cant find them. Can anyone give me a clue where to look?

TIA

Originally Posted by jscamh View Post
My other problem is I want to copy some databases from inside a palm application on an old device to the app on my N900 (The program referred to as Fepa in my log). In the past I have just beamed them from one palm to another using Beampro or Filez. I have tried looking for the Palm databases on my N900 using GPE File Manager, but cant find them. Can anyone give me a clue where to look?
There are a couple of problems here, due to the nature of GVM:

-The GPE File Manager can't see anything inside GVM, because GPE is a native Maemo application and all the Palm files in GVM are inside the .gvm/gvm.store file. The GVM application itself is the only application which knows how to read the content of that file (where the Palm applications and databases are).

- GVM can't interact directly with BlueTooth, so you also can't BT files out of GVM, or receive files the same way. (GVM can only use BT indirectly, as in when your N900 or (more commonly) your N8x0 use networking-over-BT. Then GVM can use the network. Unfortunately it can't just use BT for its own purposes.)

So, how to get files in and out of GVM? To get files in is easy, as long as you actually have the files available.. if you have .pdb or .prc files, just install them from the GVM launcher (.prc can also be just stored on a virtual SD card, but .pdb files you must install via the launcher). To get files out of GVM I am currently only aware of one method: Use Resco FTP. Well, there's maybe one more method now - set up a virtual SD card and see if maybe FileZ can save a database to the card.

Then there's the question of how to get files from an old Palm device to GVM.. which is the one you asked about I believe. As mentioned above, beaming via BT doesn't work. A couple of possible methods:

1: On your old Palm, use FileZ to move the database to a card. I haven't actually tried this.

2: The method I use: I use pilot-link (on my Linux PC) to make a full backup of my Palm (or I just copy one file).

With either method there'll be a .pdb file, which can then just be copied to the N900 by any means and then installed via GVM launcher.

Maybe you'll also get .pdb files on a Windows PC if you hotsync your old Palm? I never hotsync so I don't know. If so, then you'll again have a .pdb file somewhere which can be installed in GVM as per above.