Originally Posted by moofang View Post
I won't believe it's "true multitasking" until someone confirms it in no uncertain terms or I get my hands on one for a tryout. Way too many OS's nowadays give you a false impression of true multitasking with their pretty multitasking views when you're really not in complete control of what dies and what stays open.
i have the moto xoom and multi tasking is a breeze on it. not as well to switch screens on n900 but up to par. given the multitask is based on honeycomb, which xoom runs, it comes down to hardware the can do it not the software. i can play 3d game switch to facebook, respond to email and back without lagg or jitters.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Nice to see that android gets some stuff that other OS' already have, but where are the 30 awesome features advertised in the thread title?
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Still a ******** Java VM and the multitasking is crap. I own a Acer Iconia Tab a500 running android 3.2 and the only thing better then the N900 for my usage pattern is the bigger screen.

My post may sound like a zero sanity fanboyish rant but its a result of a boiled up frustration after many months of using it and the non existent device for my needs on this market.

Last edited by Daneel; 2011-10-21 at 17:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Tiger62651 View Post
i have the moto xoom and multi tasking is a breeze on it. not as well to switch screens on n900 but up to par. given the multitask is based on honeycomb, which xoom runs, it comes down to hardware the can do it not the software. i can play 3d game switch to facebook, respond to email and back without lagg or jitters.
Android 4.0 really improved their multitasking with just 1 click and that button is always visible on the screen with the 3 screen buttons below. I have a gingerbread device and switching between apps is a pain in the arse unlike on the n900. But with ICS you are in control of what to kill and what stays open,and you will not need a task killer. Like I said you can swipe left or right to kill the app. Cannot wait to get my hands on the galaxy nexus or an ICS device :-)

Where do some people get the idea that just because you can switch between apps that are currently displayed on the dashboard, you're multitasking, or tat you've got more than 1 app open at the same time.

To be multitasking those apps need to be working on projects simultaneously. A prime example of multitasking was the Commodore Amiga way back in the 80s. I used to do a lot of 3D work where I would be working on 3D objects in Imagine while the 3D world was rendering in the background in Vista Pro.
Just having more than one app open is in no way multitasking.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
yep that is true. that's why iOS attempt on multitasking is a failure because when it switches between apps it just freezes the app. I believe android leaves the app running when you switch or run another app. unless you manually kill it or automatically gets killed by the system due to insufficient memory it will continue to run in the background. That is why many android users uses task killer apps because its to bothersome to kill running apps in android 2.3 and below.

iOS and Android both use the same freeze state multitasking method.
Example, open a youtube video in your browser or application, open another tab in the browser or start an application, the youtube video will pause - Android 3.2

The Following User Says Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
aha. now that you mentioned it. I tried it myself and buffering froze and the video froze too. n900 is still king of multitasking. guess the new recent apps list of 4.0 is for aesthetics only and be user friendly.

i guess N9 with Alien Dalvik would be better...

Last edited by immi.shk; 2011-10-24 at 07:40.

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Spain
Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
i guess N9 with Alien Dalvik would be better...
N900 with Alien Dalvik would be better too. Why (why why why why why) we are not able to get that incredible feature? I wouldn't be needing an Android device for anything. Oh, got it, that's why.