What should the size of the partition be? I had this issue too and after reformatting /proc/partitions is saying 1966080 mmcblk0 and 1966072 mmcblk0p1 but df says 1962236 for /media/mmc2. Is the small differences between these to be expected? Do others see the same figures?

I'm a newbie so can't say what is correct, but after formatting my card all my numbers are exactly the same as yours.

Fanoush,
The above advise works well for copying files from a particular card.
Can you advise on how to make a complete copy of mmc2 so that it includes not only files but the entire dual boot setup, preferences, kde, menu, apps, etc.
I have tried several methods mentioned in other threads but none seem to copy everything. I'm trying to make a backup card in case I trash my current one when testing new scripts. It would be ideal if I can just set the backup card in mmc1 and make a mirror copy from mmc2. Any ideas or methods you have come across that work in duplicating the entire mmc2 dual boot structure with all the apps, preferences, menus, etc.
TIA

The dual boot setup is not on the card, so that won't work; you always have to modify the initfs if it gets wiped. Other than that, dding the whole thing to a file, and thence to the backup card, is the simplest way, or alternatively, dd from one card straight onto the other (if you've got an N800, this can be done on the device booted into flash; otherwise, using a PC and SD -> HDD ->SD might be better).

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Benson
Thanks. Did not know that dual boot setup is not on the card.
First what is dding?
I've never seen that term and google brings up wedding.
I would prefer dd? on my N800 to dding? card to card.
I booted to flash. My next guess is go into root and type what?
Once I do this I will be very happy.
TIA

dding = using dd

If you have two SDs of identical capacity,
Code:
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/mmcblk1
Or the other way around, if your source is the external slot. And maybe add bs=32768 for faster transfers...

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Benson thanks.
How long should it take?
Also do I add the ' bs=32768 ' after mmcblk1?

Edit: Found online that you add bs=32768 after mmcblk1.
Edit: Worked beautifully by adding the bs=32768. Took about 4 hours.

Last edited by dan; 2008-09-30 at 13:40.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
If you have two SDs of identical capacity
Where identical really means down to last byte so it should better be exactly same manufacturer/brand, not just two random 8 gig cards. Output of cat /proc/partitions tells exact size.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Code:
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/mmcblk1
if your second card is larger then you can copy to file (so you can have other files there too)
Code:
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/media/mmc1/mmcblk0backup.bin
or you can pipe it through gzip to make it smaller (may take longer)

Code:
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 | gzip > /media/mmc1/mmcblk0backup.bin.gz
This is all easy but also very wasteful since you are backing up unused space too. More sophisticated way is to backup partition table (via dd or sfdisk) and then backup just files from each partition (via tar) and later restore partition table, re-create filesystems and then restore all files.

Best would be to port partimage or similar tool to maemo.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post: