Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Not even to a different fw version should be necessary, just a total re-flash.
I've def. noticed that some users have had some issues go away after that.
All i can think is that some stuff's been corrupted in the process.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
rexii23 & Dockman,
Make clear which PR you're using: 1.0 or 1.1.
My bad. im on PR1.1 I always run the latest firmware with all my gear so i didnt even think about it =p

one of the reason could be that i never used 3G at work with my n900 so its not a direct comparison. however, the signal loss when holding the phone is very real and its especially evident in slightly weaker signal spots.

The Following User Says Thank You to rexii23 For This Useful Post:
With a weak enough reception, this is possible to achieve w/any phone.
It's not comparable to the iPhone4 issue...

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
With a weak enough reception, this is possible to achieve w/any phone.
It's not comparable to the iPhone4 issue...
This is more noticable than my N900. Testing it around the house and in the same spot with a slightly lower signal, N900 gets 3 bars constantly no matter which way I hold it or how I cover the phone. with the N9, If I cover the bottom of the phone where the antenna is, signal goes down from 4bars down to 2, as soon as I release my hand, it shoots back up.

I'll do a comparison with the N900 in my office tomorrow and shoot a video of it. If it is my phone I can still swap it from the shop.

Thanks for sharing. Can you please post your findings here
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78534
I will be doing the same testing against my N900 when I have my N9.
I suspect the latter will be better, "overall"...

OK I've partially corrected my issue.
By going into the settings and setting my Mobile data access point as "Use Automatically", I now have few issues (touch wood) with using the data when I'm out and about.
However, the problems come back with a vengance when I'm using it as a mobile hotspot. Frequently, it drops the mobile internet connection, leaving both the phone and the computer without a connection to the internet. This is hugely annoying. It will be like this for 5-10 minutes, and then come back. And then drop out again later on.
Anyone with any ideas? PR1.1, power saving set to off.

Originally Posted by Dockman View Post
OK I've partially corrected my issue.
By going into the settings and setting my Mobile data access point as "Use Automatically", I now have few issues (touch wood) with using the data when I'm out and about.
However, the problems come back with a vengance when I'm using it as a mobile hotspot. Frequently, it drops the mobile internet connection, leaving both the phone and the computer without a connection to the internet. This is hugely annoying. It will be like this for 5-10 minutes, and then come back. And then drop out again later on.
Anyone with any ideas? PR1.1, power saving set to off.
If folks can post their findings here it'd be better, but if you'd rather not, that's fine
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78534
You've already tried the whole full reset & re-flash thing right?

If you can reproduce this, it would be great if you could report it.
Of course search the bug tracker 1st, to ensure there isn't already the same issue logged.
Once reported they'll step you through what can be tried, & what info to gather.
Might also be handy to mention it in the bug-tracker thread, to get others interested in voting.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-06 at 01:51.

N900 vs N9 in the office. Sorry about the poor video quality.
Both the n900 and n9 showed a drop in signal quality when I held it. The signal is not too great in my spot.

The N9 signal is much more variable, going from full bars 3G to zero and then dropping down to 2G. If I leave the phone on the table, signal shoots straight up again. It is also much more noticeable in portrait position with 2 hands when messaging, since the hand naturally covers the antenna.

This is not a huge problem when loading webpages, but with services such as msn, this instability causes frequent sign-ins and sign-outs. It's fine if I leave it on the table, but as soon as I go answer a message, I'm likely to get signed out.

I don't recall having this issue when using pidgin on my N900 either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvnUaPUNC6o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyJfI-P4fu8

True i agree .. mine took more than 20mins when i cleared the device i was patient. Hwoever i lost all my preinstalled wallpapers, videos and songs .. any idea how to get em back ?

Originally Posted by irfan18m View Post
True i agree .. mine took more than 20mins when i cleared the device i was patient. Hwoever i lost all my preinstalled wallpapers, videos and songs .. any idea how to get em back ?
n9fanclub.com has them.

EDIT: http://www.n9fanclub.com/2011/11/rec...ontent-of.html