Originally Posted by chrislguo View Post
how much ram does the new os2008 take up in your n800? Mine uses around 138MB, more than half of the built in ram, is that right?
I forgot how much os2007 took up. anyone know?
That's the internal Flash storage, I think OS2008 firmware takes up about 40MB more than OS2007, as they've added some useless garbage to make our downloads go even slower

I do this after every OS2008 install:
rm -rf /home/user/MyDocs/.[a-z]*/*

no more silly videos, pdfs, images, etc. that I don't care about

I also like to nuke other locale files, and help files..

when you want to download software like canola for the n800 using mac is there any special software to use or you can just transfer it on the n800 from mac

Originally Posted by pastafazoule View Post
when you want to download software like canola for the n800 using mac is there any special software to use or you can just transfer it on the n800 from mac
You can just transfer it. Plug in your nokia with the usb cable and your mmc cards will show up. Just copy the files over and unmount the cards. Then on the nokia fire up the application manager and install from the files.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

ok so after reading this entire thread, Can someone give me the definitive Post Xmas update?

Can I install the new OS using my Mac OS X Leopard?
If so? how? step by step for the "rest of us" would be great1

I can cut and paste in the terminal... etc

I've had no issues updating on PPC and Intel Macs ... from 770 through to N810 with the 770 Flasher app.

Best way I know is:

1 - Back up.
2 - Power Down
3 - Start up 770Flasher, accept the warning
4 Connect USB Cable to the tablet and when pressing the power on, hold the home key. You don't have to hold the home key, but I've found it makes the flasher connect more reliably.
5 - Watch it go! Takes less than a minute.

You can see it in action here - (second video) http://www.maemoapps.com/2007/04/12/...ody-installed/

Also - 770Flasher is available here: http://www.bleb.org/software/maemo/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atmasphere For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by atmasphere View Post
I've had no issues updating on PPC and Intel Macs ... from 770 through to N810 with the 770 Flasher app.

Best way I know is:

1 - Back up.
2 - Power Down
3 - Start up 770Flasher, accept the warning
4 Connect USB Cable to the tablet and when pressing the power on, hold the home key. You don't have to hold the home key, but I've found it makes the flasher connect more reliably.
5 - Watch it go! Takes less than a minute.

You can see it in action here - (second video) http://www.maemoapps.com/2007/04/12/...ody-installed/

Also - 770Flasher is available here: http://www.bleb.org/software/maemo/
That looks about right. Someone should sticky this post.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

awesome THANKS!!

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ BC, Canada
Just ordered N800 online - yay!

I believe I will want OS2008 - someone got a link to an overview of the pros/cons?

I use a Mac (Intel/Panther) and have watched the vid referenced above.
Q: Will the 770Flasher bring a new 800 up to 2008? The vid is just over a year old...

Surveillance shows most users rather 2008 and most apps, etc are ported by now. Anyone want to argue that opinion here? Figure I've got a few days to work out the best course of action to take when the unit arrives - and this forum seems like one of the better ones I have EVER seen on the internet. In fact, it helped me decide to take the leap and buy one...

Looking forward to the N800, and whatever feedback comes from here.

all good - I just flashed an N810 last night with 770Flasher.app and it still rocks. I'm using a MacBookPro now and have been using the app since the 770 and I was on PPC Macs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atmasphere For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mgstevens View Post
I believe I will want OS2008 - someone got a link to an overview of the pros/cons?
It's been discussed to death, search around. The bottom line is really that OS2008 is the only way to go moving forward.

Originally Posted by mgstevens View Post
I use a Mac (Intel/Panther) and have watched the vid referenced above.
Q: Will the 770Flasher bring a new 800 up to 2008? The vid is just over a year old...
770Flasher works just fine. Console flashing is also an option.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post: