hi,

have anyone used Dlink DWL G730AP wireless pocket router with N8xx/N7xx? The box says that it uses a web-based device management and requires IE6 or Netscape Navigator 7. Would it work?

Regards,
Cheve

The Following User Says Thank You to cheve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
I have one and it works fine for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to frethop For This Useful Post:
No I have not used the Dlink. But I have read nothing but good reviews of it. I almost bought one last year but begged off. One of the things I dislike about the Dlink you mention is the need for the external pwoer suply. The Linksys had a fold away and built-in power plug. Not sure if it is better but it would have been one less thing to tote around.

Just a fast question, are you intending to use some sort of mobile broadband or just jacking the router into? If so you might look at a couple of the routers from Cradlepoint. Specifically the CTR350 and the PHS300. I have the CTR350 it does not have the built-in battery as the PHS300 has but as I recall it can work as a router connected to your DSL/Cable modem as the RJ45 port can go both ways. It auto senses if it's setup to work as a LAN port or as a WAN connection to the broadband device. It has the added ability to offer the ability to use either HSDPA or EVDORevA mobile broadband via a USB MBB modem.

I have my setup with an external battery pack and when mobile I just carry everything around in a waist pack by Tom Bihn. I can keep my N800 in my pocket and just pull it out and viola I am online almost anywhere I travel.

Also, the Cradlepoint routers can both work as a personal/portable hotspot so you can actually share the connection or create a local WLAN on the device. I am fairly impressed with the firmware and functionality of the darned thing. And it's about the size of a deck of cards and weighs less.

If you are interest I have a couple pics and a simple diagram I made to show the setup.

Oh, before I decided to switch to MBB I just could not make up my mind between the Dlink or the Linksys. I am not sure but there was a 3rd pocket/travel router I found too but for the life of me I cannot recall the name/brand.

Last, I have a pretty fair deal via a company that re-sells MBB over the Sprint/Alltel EVDO network. No contract and they throw in a Franklin 680 EVDO USB modem. Also, the deal is truly unlimited data service. I use around 50gb/mo as a rule with I connect to the laptop "on the road" so to speak. It's just $50/mo (might be$60/mo now though) with no long term contract. Another option is the Sprint SERO program where you can actually get a great deal for something like $30/mo but do need to buy a modem plus, oh, heck I forget the other drawback I saw. But either way ya go is a good deal. I prefer to pay more per month for the ability to opt out if I either don't use it as much as I expected or something better comes along, like, I dunno, WiMax?

The Following User Says Thank You to brecklundin For This Useful Post:
I have a PHS (and CTR - now configured for WDS with the PHS).

The CTR has the ethernet port and is more flexible (can go MBB to ethernet or use it as the WAN to wired broadband with failover, and others).

The PHS is nearly the exact size of the N810 but thicker (without the power cord or modem attached).

Would you mind mentioning the MBB provider that you are using?

Originally Posted by tz1 View Post

Would you mind mentioning the MBB provider that you are using?
not sure you are asking me butt just in case iam using Millenicom http://www.millenicom.com

service is as good as the towers in your area. i get around 1.2Mmbps/700kbps which works for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to brecklundin For This Useful Post: