Active Topics

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ malaysia
Any progress or update from nokia about this video call over 3G function on our beloved N900...can anyone from nokia or software developer can give us some hint...???
Can some one in this community work out on that??

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
I don't understand why everyone is rushing to have their own walled off garden of video call standards put out there. Android's QIK (I know QIK isn't Android exclusive, but QIK used only for person to person video calling is), and iPhone's facetime are both severely limited by thier very nature.

We've already got video calling over Skype, the most widely used VOIP application in the world, that works on 3G or Wi-Fi. What more do you need?

Excuse me if I'm mistaken and what you're asking about is the old fashioned 3G video calling (which has never been enabled on GSM networks in the USA), but again I ask what does it get you that Skype does not?

well in my case for example since the cellular network enter to my country everydoy is been using video call over 3g and gsm, only because in the usa u dont have this service it doesnt mean that is not useful for the rest of the people not living in usa, so i am agree with azizija somebody should work on that service on N900, of course is not me the one who is going to work on that since i am noob in this, but someone i know could work on that ok just for the records this what i think about that, and is not that i want to confront somebody, not at all

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to peacekeper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
I guess some people do use it, but I personally do not know a single person like that and as such I can only guess that it's used by only a handful of people at most. As such it'll be tough to find anyone willing to code an application for that completely for free.

The most common reason why it isn't used is because carriers charge so insanely huge premium for every second and because it's usually laggy, horrible picture quality, and can't be used between a PC and a phone. These atleast among those people I know personally, I obviously can't say much about people I don't know..

i'm live in native country not like US country with wider and faster internet connection and for sure not all of people owning their skype phone and better internet tablet phone or whatever related to VOIP function,but lot of people still having old type of phone and suport that 3g video calling function..so it just some added value to our N900.that for my concern...if that the most function to be with,better we replace with other type of phone for example nokia N8.but i'm still loving using my N900 and loyal with nokia for sure.

Now video calling using over 3G is more cheaper rather than subscribing internet package in my country..even our telco operator offer free 3G video calling to our sub line phone..so that for my intention,most of country like india,china,singapore,malaysia,sri lanka,indonesia,arab saudi and etc is most popular usage for this function..

i'm just highlighting and asking for this issues,it that any progress or update from nokia or application developer such as fring or others guys from maemo community to work on that,from my opinion its more useful to other user hopefully.

sorry for my poor english language..hope you can get my point here..thanks

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
azizija: I am not aware of anyone working on such an application nor have I seen Nokia make any kind of a mention for such. Your only hope is for someone kind enough to pick up the task and do it, but I atleast can't help with that, I just don't have the needed skills.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Nokia should get some consistency in support of functions.

N8: "native" 3G network videocall but no Skype (coming somewhere in 2011)
N900: Skype nicely integrated but no native 3G videocall

Beginning of 2009 Nokia and Skype announced a partnership to integrate and preload Skype on Nseries devices. (but N8 shows the preload plan is already failing)

Personally I'd go for Skype (and back Mr cddiede's opinion)

-quite a wide spread standard
-Camera can be switched on optionally when 3G call quality is found tb excellent
-inter OS / hardware platform (even Mac video soon will work with 5.0 Skype)
-you see when your contact is online
-you see when your contact's device sports a camera
-carrier independent (3G, Wifi broadband, wired broadband,...)
-other functionality such as Skype out , text chat, ....
-no special video call fee from wireless operator (although some sneaky operators might try to block Skype)

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
WereCatf : im also noob and,didnt know anything also,im just a normal N900 user but for sure this a NOKIA fault and their responsibility..for me rather i buy third party application with some cost to get this function work on my N900..i know its hard to find someone with kind enough to do it without any cost..
i still know some poeple and N900 user still want this function even it need to be pay for it.maybe it can drag developer interest to developt such app or other quality application for our N900..that my hope for future of maemo and N900 also..hope my issues didnt brick nokia or maemo poilcies to open source all of their resource...

Question for those of you here:

Why video call over 3g ?

The GSM operators will discover in the near future
their service reduced to voice calls and internet access
due to the simple fact they must charge far more
to implement 'video calls' than what skype and a lot of other
apps already do over the internet.

The cost of implementing video over a network
of which only some minor fraction of customers will ever use
has got to be orders of magnitude greater than the
cost of you and your contact(s) simply installing
skype, linphone or whatever.

Or is there some other urgent reason I need to shell out another
chunk of my paycheck each month to my telco provider
to pay for the cost of implementing a service which only
1% of their customers will ever actually use?
... because the telco charge everyone for making this possible.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
I'll vote for 3G video call!!!

I don't have any friends who's on Skype + video cam all the time

And I don't know anyone personally who is using N900

So, I would really love to have 3G video call

Thanks.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post: