Notices

Showing the (most recent) swap partition and percentage isn't necessarily a bad idea, though. So how about putting the two buttons inside the corresponding frames, and possibly renaming them to "Refresh!" or "Refresh now!". Also maybe write something like "most recent swap info:" on top of or inside the frames.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Yesterday I decided to swap my SD card physically.
The new one is configured with 800MB swaps instead of only 512MB swap spaces.
Honouring the goal of this script, I conveniently "flopswapped" the swap space to the built in device memory first, swapped the physical cards, and flopswapped the swap space back to the new SD card.

I did so without rebooting (to not waste my uptime)

Flopswap now doesn't update the written blocks and still reports 0 Mb of 512 Mb

Swap space has been moved already and status refreshed, but the 0 of 512 Mb remains.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Yesterday I decided to swap my SD card physically.
The new one is configured with 800MB swaps instead of only 512MB swap spaces.
Honouring the goal of this script, I conveniently "flopswapped" the swap space to the built in device memory first, swapped the physical cards, and flopswapped the swap space back to the new SD card.

I did so without rebooting (to not waste my uptime)

Flopswap now doesn't update the written blocks and still reports 0 Mb of 512 Mb

Swap space has been moved already and status refreshed, but the 0 of 512 Mb remains.
Ah now, I have never tested this (or even thought about that). I imagine flopswap now can't understand why your blocks value is lower than the saved value. I doubt it matters about the size change.

I imagine a couple of fresh swaps will fix this as the new number will be written on the flip and then read on the flop.

I would have to test that and get back to you.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
sixwheeledbeast: For me Flopswap doesn't check used swap on start although enabled. It has only initialized and prints the swap device.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
sixwheeledbeast: For me Flopswap doesn't check used swap on start although enabled. It has only initialized and prints the swap device.
Quick Reply
On first boot initialized is shown until you check the status.
This is because the current used "blocks" hasn't been saved yet to calculate.

I have been busy lately. I hope to have time to look at flopswap soon, to address some of the things mentioned above.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Flopswap 0.2.2 uploaded to Extras-Devel.

New layout (again) and a few fixes from comments above.

Quick update not had time to fully test, had a spare hour on my day off to push this.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Flopswap 0.2.3 uploaded to Extras-Devel.

* Add confirm dialog to Eject button
* Add Last Updated label
* Minor Fixes
* Tidy Portrait Layout

I more polished and slightly more tested Flopswap release

This now covers most of the comments above:-

@marmistrz [314]
There is now an extra call that forces flopswap to run the check button if there is no data at start; this doesn't matter if the option is checked in the Settings or not.

@ste-phan [312]
I have not had time to test this scenario yet, however, my minor changes should catch that now.

@chill and @handaxe [310] [311]
I hope you like the new layout, which I feel makes more sense to the user.

@chill [309]
The Quick Guide is now in the order you suggested.

@marmistrz [300]
Confirmation Dialog is now done.
Pressing the Swap to Device accidentally is no longer an issue.

QProgressbar for used swap maybe nice but I decided the MainWindow needs to be less "busy" if anything.

@ste-phan [292]
For the time being I am now happy with flopswap's functionality.
However...

auto-update maybe possible only if the application window is open and enough people fell the need for this function, I personally feel the new layout is best. I imagine a QTimer with it's timeout() SIGNAL connected to the check buttons SLOT could do it.
I could say this is adding unnecessary bloat (also note my earlier pointless CPU usage argument) so wouldn't bother unless there's enough requests.

The buttons have been moved and changed about several time now to make it more user friendly, especially in portrait, the vertically stacked button make it less likely to press the wrong button. Also the extra QMessage window stops the possible unnecessary eMMC wear you mentioned. Let me know what you think.

With the new layout I can read the statusbar's perfectly with the window minimized, so check that one.

Colour, now this is an option I could find a solution for. Personally, I would use the Warning Threshold for one colour change and then maybe 100% for the other. However, after thinking about it with the new layout is this really needed? Is there much benefit if you can read the statusbar clearly?

And the last point well as you can see that extra statusbar has now been in for a while.

@all
Well I think that covers everyone's comments, thank you for taking time to post them. Let me know what you think, report any issues etc.
See the OP for screenshots of the new layout (when I get round to updating them ).
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87985

Happy FlopSwaping

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Great stuff. Here is some feedback.

I see there is now only one Check button, which checks both usage and partition. Ok, but the yellow notification bar for the partition flashes by too quickly. Not a big issue, since you can see the partition in the status bar.

The font for the status bar is too small to be read when minimized. I suggest increasing the font size, since there is space for that.

The Updated status bar seems to show the time when the Check button was pressed, not when the update was complete. Not a big problem, of course.

The Save button in Settings should perhaps make the settings window go away.

The Default button in Settings does not seem to do anything.

Also, the use external swap on boot setting seems to revert to on after updating Flopswap. Can this be helped, or the user notified after the update is complete (with a yellow bar or at least in the Description in HAM).

I wonder why you only use the left side of the screen in Quick Guide.

Last edited by chill; 2014-12-23 at 17:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chill View Post
Great stuff. Here is some feedback.
Great Thanks

I see there is now only one Check button, which checks both usage and partition. Ok, but the yellow notification bar for the partition flashes by too quickly. Not a big issue, since you can see the partition in the status bar.
Correct. I had forgotten about that yes.
Not a major issue I agree, I'll just add a few extra sleep commands in there to space the banners out in the next release.

The font for the status bar is too small to be read when minimized. I suggest increasing the font size, since there is space for that.
I don't have an issue reading the font but I'll look into it.

The Updated status bar seems to show the time when the Check button was pressed, not when the update was complete. Not a big problem, of course.
Well yes, it's triggered from the button press.

The Save button in Settings should perhaps make the settings window go away.
It shouldn't, the save button is only for the "Threshold" section, this is denoted by the white line splitting the sections.

The Default button in Settings does not seem to do anything.
Again this is only for the "Threshold" section. Change the threshold percentage and then press default to go back to 94%.

Also, the use external swap on boot setting seems to revert to on after updating Flopswap. Can this be helped, or the user notified after the update is complete (with a yellow bar or at least in the Description in HAM).
This was to solve the many messages of Flopswap not working after installation. This setting is required for Flopswap to work so it is enabled as default, and on every upgrade since version 0.1.10 IIRC.
TBH I thought about removing the option completely, but I found it maybe useful in testing some instances. Nothing untowards would happen if you have no card at boot so I don't see a huge issue.

I wonder why you only use the left side of the screen in Quick Guide.
It looks best in my experience, justified or central looked pants IMO. Also note it has to work in portrait orientation as well as landscape.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Well, I don't see a reason for autochecking in Flopswap. You can easily schedule the checking script, e.g. with alarmed.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post: