Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I am curious about what the cost to Nokia would be of upgrading Flash. It must be substantial.

It seems to me undeniable that Nokia made a big deal of the Flash support on the N900. The only reason I can think of not supporting the flash upgrade is high expense.
I doubt the licensing cost (to adobe) is substantial.

But what is the true 'cost' to them? It prolongs N900's life and that reduces the number of potential people who would upgrade to the next model because those people can still enjoy the latest software features on the n900 (flash 10.1).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 303 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
I imagine it is developer time.. With Meego 1.0 hovering in the air, Nokia are almost certainly rushing as fast as they can to throw together a MeeGo phone and the platform to go with it..

Taking those developers away to work on this pesky old platform would irk some project managers.

Imagine, two projects..

1) bringing flash to Maemo5
2) bringing flash to MeeGo 1.0

Which is going generate more sales in the short term? neither..Which is going to help sell the next device (which we know existing N900 users will buy) project number 2..

It would be very embarrising for Nokia to launch a MeeGo device without flash10, especially since all but the iphone are clambering to get it on their platforms

Then again, maybe it'd be a synch to back port the Meego version, that'd be neat!

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by StOoZ View Post
it is not officially said that no meego for n900, so plz stop throwing non concrete stuff to the air
Oh, I think we're all keeping in mind that qole may be wrong. In fact, I expect that's rather the hope of many.

qole, meanwhile, better be hoping he's right, because if he's wound everyone up needlessly, we're going to throw him.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Which is going generate more sales in the short term? neither..Which is going to help sell the next device (which we know existing N900 users will buy) project number 2..

I love the n900 but based on nokia's inability to answer my questions I won't be buying a third nokia device in a hurry. So I wouldn't bank on all n900 users buying a meego device. I am not very tech-minded but I do enjoy tweaking some stuff. However, getting developers to waste time hacking/porting flash to a device that is sold as a web monster if just taking the p*ss quite frankly. I think people could spend their time more creatively.

They'll be expecting people to port the effing sms module next. Seriously.

Last edited by digital909; 2010-05-21 at 10:30.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
But what is the true 'cost' to them? It prolongs N900's life and that reduces the number of potential people who would upgrade to the next model because those people can still enjoy the latest software features on the n900 (flash 10.1).
I really doubt the Flash version running on a device will make people buy it... I bet no-one will change from the N900 to its successor because of the higher Flash version.

I don't mean the public.. the public are never going to be able to port Adobe's flash to anything, it is closed, proprietary trash.. I mean porting as an internal effort.. like MeeGo on the N900 is an internal effort..

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by cpitchford View Post
I don't mean the public.. the public are never going to be able to port Adobe's flash to anything, it is closed, proprietary trash.. I mean porting as an internal effort.. like MeeGo on the N900 is an internal effort..
Either way, i won't buy a further device if that is the case. I chose the N900 mainly, but not exclusively, for the web browsing capabilites. If i wanted to see 'download the latest version of flashplayer' appearing there are other devices I might have held out for. There is kind of an expectation that if something is touted as having 'full flash version x support' that when the next version arrives it will be upgraded.

However, it may all just be hearsay. I hope

Posts: 126 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Italy
The only future for N900 is NITDroid. If we can have a Froyo really well ported then N900 will have Flash.
Meego will support it and btw, I am starting to be really curious about the new device, any news?

Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
I can see Nokia being (slightly) driven with a strategy going to a 'more-services-less-devices'.
See with Apple how much money they make with only few devices. I believe that Nokia wants to make more and more money with selling services too.
Meego is going this way: the device will be much more upgradable as former devices.
the N900 is at the crossroad, in-between the period where Nokia would sell more and more devices to earn more money and the period where Nokia will sell more updatable devices.

But if Nokia want to have good reputation. They have to make it today to sell better at the end of the year and next year.

So Flash 10 is part of it. If they announce together with Google that Flash 10 is available now in a Nokia device. I believe this is great news for them. Otherwise, it will sound like: we have it 6 months after Android !!

I personally do not care so much about having flash 10. But I do not get why the leave the words for Android while they could be leading the movement too.

There are probably no direct consequences for the mass market but for all the geeks, the blogs...etc... that make Nokia a follower.

Maemo is not known so much but whatever is done for the N900 will be positive for Nokia, and for Meego. However Nokia is not sure about it.

You're right.. I think the N900 hopefully marks an end of "here is a platform designed for one device" and the introduction of "here is a platform for many devices"

Maemo 5 is designed for the N900 where as Android is designed for numerous devices and platforms (hence why it'll run on the N900) For Nokia to keep up with the rest of MeeGo, they'll need to adopt that approach.. It's what user's are definitely starting to expect in a big way..