Active Topics

Originally Posted by BlinkThinks View Post
Hello guys! I got my black 64GB N9 yesterday. It's unfortunate that I had to return the unit today for replacement because the unit had black spots manifesting when I'm using the camera in a dark room and when I'm watching videos with dark scenes. Here's a picture of the issue:

Apologies for the picture quality, but in person it's very noticable. There are also black patches scattered on the lower part of the screen. They are not dead pixels. Rather like 'after burn' effect on a plasma screen. Or a soot in the screen. Those two black lines are also manifested during the phone's boot up just beside the Nokia logo.

Kindly check your screen if anything like this happens. You must be in a dark room and using the camera function. I forgot to set the screen brightness to full, but I think it will manifest more. The issue will never show up when you're in a perfectly lit area.

I think Nokia should be informed about this issue.

I'm waiting for a new unit replacement.
Where did you get your device from? I just recently received a black 64GB model from negri electronics and I have those exact same black spots on mine. Another weird thing with this device is that when I opened it and started it up, the default pics/videos were all missing. The box was sealed and everything. But to have those exact same spots you are is kinda of weird to me.

Also this one doesn't have a dark pink hue/tint on the side. There is a slight tint. Better than the previous one I had.

The Following User Says Thank You to blackbox For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by blackbox View Post
Where did you get your device from? I just recently received a black 64GB model from negri electronics and I have those exact same black spots on mine. Another weird thing with this device is that when I opened it and started it up, the default pics/videos were all missing. The box was sealed and everything. But to have those exact same spots you are is kinda of weird to me.

Also this one doesn't have a dark pink hue/tint on the side. There is a slight tint. Better than the previous one I had.
I got mine in a local shop in the Philippines. CMK Cellphones. I've since returned it and got a refund. If your default pics and videos are missing you can reflash your device including the EMMC file from NaviFirm or you can just download them here, I can't find the thread title but someone posted a link of the default files included in the phone.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
It is sad to see NOKIA screwing up again. Sad, very sad, muy sad. Just get an iphone. It works
There is something wrong with your brain, really.
90% of your posts...
"See it's bad there too, told ya (even though you didn't & never had a clue), just get an iPhone."

Originally Posted by bitrevo View Post
I searched on internet and found that the screen issue may casued by AMOLED technology.
Not all the issues are though, read the thread from the beginning.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-11-23 at 07:55.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I was a little confused as well with jakiman's blog on the color saturation issue. The way i understood it was that, the purple/pink over-saturation is there to adhere to situations when the n9 would be in very bright environments and as such, this over-saturation is intentional. Therefore, my assumption was that, because of this, when the n9 is in darker environments, this purple or pink over-saturation is still there.

Apparently, in the PR 1.1 release of the N9, Konttorri claims the following:
"Color management is less nervous than before (neutral sRGB space color palette is now used always, except in clearly outdoor situations, when oversaturation is applied to adjust how eye desaturates content in brightness)."

Let's hope that this is what I and others in this forum have been experiencing and gets fixed!
Lol!!, I'm still a bit confused as I also could be interpreting my issues completely different than those voiced by Konttorri.
So did anyone find that some of the noted issues (there were several, some quite obviously sw-related) were rectified with 1.1?
I've PM'd konttori & asked if he can clear everything up for us now.

Originally Posted by konttori View Post
Cool link, thanks. I checked it with Samsung display and the effect can indeed be seen. I'll check with LG tomorrow (don't have one at home) to see if there is a difference. But I fear this is just simply an issue in OLED displays of this generation.
Oled is still in it's baby steps and this kind of issues are not totally surprising.
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Thanks konttori, please note jakiman's post #54....

AFAIK despite being marketed as an AMOLED CBD, the N9 is a SAMOLED (pentile) + Nokia twks.
And yet jakiman's Samsung Omnia 7 (SAMOLED pentile) doesn't have the 2nd issue listed in his post?
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Soo... Any way to differentiate N9's manufactured with LG display vs Samsung ones?
(if the LG ones don't have this pink bleeding)
Konttori, if you've got a minute, can we please have an update on all of this.
It's almost 1-month but we've heard nothing back from you/Nokia yet.

Thank-you.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-11-23 at 10:01.

Originally Posted by BlinkThinks View Post

Aaaaaahh... Now I see what you mean by those black spots! I have this, too.

I didn't worry about it, because I had the same already in my N8, so I just think it is a common AMOLED issue (screen bleeding, or however you want to call it)...

Therefore it doesn't bother me, because it's only visible to me in rare conditions (using the phone in pitch black night, which is really seldom for me).

The Following User Says Thank You to marrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by marrat View Post
Aaaaaahh... Now I see what you mean by those black spots! I have this, too.

I didn't worry about it, because I had the same already in my N8, so I just think it is a common AMOLED issue (screen bleeding, or however you want to call it)...

Therefore it doesn't bother me, because it's only visible to me in rare conditions (using the phone in pitch black night, which is really seldom for me).
After reading this post I tried to see if I have something similar on my screen and indeed in the upper right corner there is a fade black stripe and also on the sides of the screen.

People can try to see if they have these blackish areas by turning off all lighsts in the room making complet darkness and then use the camera app or much better go on the multitasking screen with nothing open and wait for 2 min so the eyes acomodate and you will probably start seeing dark spots stripes mostly close to the edges of the phone. As soon as you put a bit of light they are not visible anymore. I also vaguely notice them when watching a video with black backround with no light in the room.

For me it looks like it can be from how the screen was glued to the phone or something (the gorilla glass on to the amoled), or is maybe something form the polarization of the screen?

People should test this to see if it is so common.

Last edited by mirondanro; 2011-11-23 at 09:52.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Thanks for that info. I just wanted to make sure I could rule out whether it is coming from a specific factory or not. And it is also certain that it doesnt matter what model you get, 16 or 64GB, the culprit is the Pentile Matrix screens used in these devices. There are some who get lucky with less tint and some unlucky people get annoying tint, black spots, and whatever other display issues that have come up in this op.

Unfortunately, getting a replacement is like taking a gamble on whether your replaced device will be better or worse.
Get over it it has NOTHING to do what factory it is. Its more related to "first batches always has issues" But ofcourse we should not accept fault devices. Send it back for a replacement if people has problems instead of start thing it has to do with what factory or similar... No meaning sitting here and cry about it. Every damn new device has issues on first batches.

Ok. Instead of having a replacement, the shop gave me a full refund. All the units they got, including the one they were supposed to give me for replacement has either those lines or more spots. I opted for a full refund instead...

Yesterday, I looked for another shop. I found one selling for the same price. They didn't have any 64GB stock, the store made a reservation for me, and was told to return the next day. Today, I went to that shop. Guess what? NO DARK LINES AT ALL as well as those bloody dark spots!!! I'm very very happy! Yeepi-ka-yey!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlinkThinks For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Switzerland
I made a picture of my screen in total darkness using a photo camera, 8 s exposure, and ISO 400. This way I could more or less capture how the black spots/strips appear on the screen.

The result:

Same image with levels enhanced in Photoshop for a better view of the dark areas (you don't see them so well in reality):

Do you guys think this is a big issue with the screen as visually it doesn't bother me? I never see them in normal conditions.

The Following User Says Thank You to mirondanro For This Useful Post:
That long line in the middle may bother you when you're using your camera app at night or watching video in the dark.... I returned my unit because it was really bothersome. The new unit I ought from another shop doesn't have those long lines / black spots... I now believe it has something to do with the installation of the screen on the unit....

The Following User Says Thank You to BlinkThinks For This Useful Post: